Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If You Owned a 1943 Copper Cent, Would You Have It Tested?

CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
Delicate territory here. We have on the market a 1943 cent of previously unknown composition (91.7% copper). Is it worth more or less than a 1943 cent struck on a 1942 cent bronze planchet (95% copper)?

I'd be a little bit nervous if I already owned a 1943 copper cent. Until you have it tested, you are unsure whether it is struck on a 1942 cent planchet, or something else.

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that today they can test for metalic content without a damage or such.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

If You Owned a 1943 Copper Cent, Would You Have It Tested?

...i believe it would be absolutely stupid NOT TO!! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hell no. Whats the upside?
  • Options
    First off, IMO these were never million dollar coins. Secondly, what is more important - the fact the darn thing looks like copper to the naked eye or some scientific nearest hundreths test in a 'close enough for government work' world.

To state that only the ones struck on leftover planchets have value is just silly IMO. The coin in Stacks Bowers should be worth just as much as the others should be worth - a few hundred thousand.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming it were mine, like an inherited coin, and it passed the magnet test, the weight was in tolerance, and it looked like a copper, I would just submit it to PCGS and be done with that. The money in this coin is in the 1942 planchet, and if I could sell it as that, and not as "possibly struck on some foriegn planchet of odd composition" than that's what I would do.

Of course this coin is probably one of the only cases in numismatics where being struck on a foriegn planchet instead of a last-year's planchet would be considered a negative.

And if I were considering buying it as a legitimate '43 copper for all the money, you can bet that I would insist on a nondestructive metallurgical analysis before finalizing anything.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were mine I could authenticate it myself to my satisfaction since I have done it before for others, but if I were going to sell it I would probably have it tested by one of the TPG's and then slabbed.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Tradedollarnut - How can you say these were never million dollar coins when Legend bought and sold a 1943 S and a 1943 D for your clients collection at

$1,000,000 and $ 1,700,000 ? Now you say the one in the Stacks Bowers auction is worth a few hundred thousand dollars ? ? ?

None of the other 1943 copper cents were ever tested beyond a kinder garten test involving a magnet.

PCGS is not sure where the planchet for the coin in the present auction originated nor is Stacks Bowers. I guess you are saying this coin

Is worth a few hundred thousand dollars because Laura will buy it for your/her client.

I do not know of anyone other than this client of yours who collects 1943 copper cents. So you set the price.

I would be willing to make a wager this coin does not bring a few hundred grand since you are a gambling man.

Stewart
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't own it long enough for it to get tested.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>Tradedollarnut - How can you say these were never million dollar coins when Legend bought and sold a 1943 S and a 1943 D for your clients collection at

$1,000,000 and $ 1,700,000 ? Now you say the one in the Stacks Bowers auction is worth a few hundred thousand dollars ? ? ?

None of the other 1943 copper cents were ever tested beyond a kinder garten test involving a magnet.

PCGS is not sure where the planchet for the coin in the present auction originated nor is Stacks Bowers. I guess you are saying this coin

Is worth a few hundred thousand dollars because Laura will buy it for your/her client.

I do not know of anyone other than this client of yours who collects 1943 copper cents. So you set the price.

I would be willing to make a wager this coin does not bring a few hundred grand since you are a gambling man.

Stewart >>

How can I say it? Very easily since it's just my opinion. I know million dollar coins and these are head scratchers at that level.

Ok - I will bet you one dollar it goes for $200k+ or does not sell. As far as PCGS not being sure where the planchet came from - show me even ONE copper 1943 cent where they are certain from where the planchet came.
  • Options

OK we have a bet !

Stewart
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes I'd have that coin undergo major testing from A-Z, then retest the coin again to make sure no errors were made
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can test it for you like this one passed the torch test with flying coloers.image

and this one passed the look in side test. All was A ok with it "Passed".

Or they can use this one that does nada to the coin but that's no fun.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Is the leather glove compulsory? image
  • Options
    Yes, Absolutely, the coin needs to be tested. Otherwise, you don't know what you own.

With regard to that 1943 in the Stacks auction, the mettallic analysis, coupled with the striking weakness tells me a lot. I am pretty sure that coin is a foreign planchet error. The strike weaknesses look almost exactly the same as what you see when Lincoln cents are erroneously struck on dime planchets. So, I am pretty sure that coin was struck on a foreign planchet that was slightly smaller diameter than a cent.

The mettallic analysis is critically important.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, right... it isn't certified as a standard '43 copper, right?
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TDN.................

why should a Copper 1943 Cent only be worth a few hundred thousand dollars while a 1913 Liberty Nickel is at several million and climbing??
  • Options
    I agree no upside or test control unless you test all of them.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Testing is easy - what you do with the results is another matter.

TDN is betting it goes for 200K + and Stewart is betting it goes for less?? I think he got snookered. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to me that if the 1942 Cent in Aluminum brought less than 200K, the 1943 on "unknown bronze planchet" is far from a lock at 200K. I know that I wouldn't buy it, although I recognize that it could bring a lot more if two bidders like it enough.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Maybe we should just conduct the auction on the Forum and bypass the auction house image
  • Options

<< <i>Seems to me that if the 1942 Cent in Aluminum brought less than 200K, the 1943 on "unknown bronze planchet" is far from a lock at 200K. I know that I wouldn't buy it, although I recognize that it could bring a lot more if two bidders like it enough. >>

Really? Does the 1942 cent in aluminum have 50 years of hype and marketing behind it?
  • Options
    I don't suppose there is any word on whether or not it has been retested....?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's RED. It's a 1943. It's a RED 1943. That pretty well says it ALL. I hope we get to see it as an avatar someday! (wink, wink)
  • Options

<< <i>It's RED. It's a 1943. It's a RED 1943. That pretty well says it ALL. I hope we get to see it as an avatar someday! (wink, wink) >>

Exactly. someone gets it. It's a RED copper 1943. Who friggen cares if the zinc is a few % too high. It's RED friggen copper....
  • Options
    Look at the legend, "In God We Trust". I think that the weakness indicates that it was not a Type 2 Planchet.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's RED. It's a 1943. It's a RED 1943. That pretty well says it ALL. I hope we get to see it as an avatar someday! (wink, wink) >>

Exactly. someone gets it. It's a RED copper 1943. Who friggen cares if the zinc is a few % too high. It's RED friggen copper.... >>

The problem is, it doesn't quite fit the narrative, and story is what sells coins like 1804 dollars and 1913 nickels. Lots of other equally rare US coins that don't sell for as much. Narrative says it was supposed to be a leftover 1942 planchet used by accident - that is hard to confirm here. Yes, it is a red 1943, and quite desirable as such. But I think even more desirable if the composition matched the other 1943 coppers.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Exactly. someone gets it. It's a RED copper 1943. Who friggen cares if the zinc is a few % too high. It's RED friggen copper.... >>

The problem is, it doesn't quite fit the narrative, and story is what sells coins like 1804 dollars and 1913 nickels. Lots of other equally rare US coins that don't sell for as much. Narrative says it was supposed to be a leftover 1942 planchet used by accident - that is hard to confirm here. Yes, it is a red 1943, and quite desirable as such. But I think even more desirable if the composition matched the other 1943 coppers. >>

How much do the 1804 $1 restrikes sell for? image
  • Options

<< <i>How much do the 1804 $1 restrikes sell for? image >>

Understand that there was already a lot of numismatic history built in to the 1804 before Newman/Bressett finally told the whole story in the 1960s. Suppose we had some new finding about a 1913 nickel today? It wouldn't change much, Mehl's promotion is captured in the public mindshare and that is not changing.
  • Options
    Agreed - and the fact this cent looks like copper, smells like copper and is in fact mostly copper IMO trumphs the fact that they don't know what exactly it is. No, it won't bring the $1.5M that a no brainer example would bring, but it will bring a pretty penny!
  • Options
    I will bet you one dollar this goes for $200k+ or does not sell.
    No Reserve
    1913 Liberty Nickel, 1943 Coppers - It's the Novelty...
    How can you say these were never million dollar coins when Legend bought and sold a 1943 S and a 1943 D for your clients collection at $1,000,000 and $1,700,000 ?
    Doesn't mean they are worth that much. When you have moon money and you want something - you're going to get it - there's a price for everything!
    In terms of testing - even the modern-day testing of these or any planchet barely scratches the surface (no pun) of the coin - It does NOT go through the entire planchet. My opinion on this coin is that it IS a legitimate copper planchet, strike is similar to some of the others (but not exact), and it looks like a darn red U.S. cent to me.

$200,000+?? Only takes two bidders...
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    I have not seen the piece, but as our gracious hosts have declared it to be a genuine product of the U.S. Mint, I am inclined to believe them.

The weak strike does not condemn the piece, nor necessarily mean that an unknown foreign planchet was used. As I have said elsewhere, if the planchet had remained in the press from an earlier coinage run and it was the first coin struck as the press was starting up, you could get a less than full strike.

I would still like to see additional testing done of the composition.

TD
  • Options
    Edited to add: The presses were expecting steel planchets for this run. The copper ones I believe were not able to sustain the pressure for a nice strike. This piece (other thread) reminded me of a 1943-S struck on a silver dime planchet (Heritage, 2009 CSNS). THAT looked similar to this also. But I believe PCGS - maybe they are stating a unique planchet because not quite like the other metal composition copper planchets. But we are talking a minuscule difference.

• Options
    Tradedollarnut - the coin is UGLY. I saw it in FUN. The other 1943 in the Stacks Bowers auction is bid at 3x what this red POS is bid at and looks a whole lot more attractive.

I would not be surprised if this red 1943 does not break 100 K

Stewart
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Agreed - and the fact this cent looks like copper, smells like copper and is in fact mostly copper IMO trumphs the fact that they don't know what exactly it is. No, it won't bring the $1.5M that a no brainer example would bring, but it will bring a pretty penny! >>

No dog in this fight, but this new '43 copper cent has a few odd things that concern... the composition analysis one, but why the weak strike, particularly the rims? Is that eyelid normal for a 1943 cent? and what's with the story of this one "suddenly appearing" and also being red? These days, with folks these days able to get ahold of a real surplus mint press, make their own dies, and coin and re-coin very real looking fakes, it might pay to be extra cautious... does anyone know what this new cent weighs?

If I owned one, yes I'd have it tested backwards and forwards.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Agreed - and the fact this cent looks like copper, smells like copper and is in fact mostly copper IMO trumphs the fact that they don't know what exactly it is. No, it won't bring the $1.5M that a no brainer example would bring, but it will bring a pretty penny! >>

No dog in this fight, but this new '43 copper cent has a few odd things that concern... the composition analysis one, but why the weak strike, particularly the rims? Is that eyelid normal for a 1943 cent? and what's with the story of this one "suddenly appearing" and also being red? These days, with folks these days able to get ahold of a real surplus mint press, make their own dies, and coin and re-coin very real looking fakes, it might pay to be extra cautious... does anyone know what this new cent weighs?

If I owned one, yes I'd have it tested backwards and forwards. >>

The weight is reported in the S-B link as 3.08 grams, which is within tolerance for a bronze cent.
  • Options

Someone here is spending an inordinate amount of time commenting on a coin that they have no interest in...me thinksimage

Ahhhh, you've observed quite well, Grasshopper!!

• Options
    One of the nice things about collecting Honduras was that sometimes the finest known of an issue was a VG, and it just didn't matter!
  • Options
    <Ok - I will bet you one dollar it goes for $200k+ or does not sell. >

OK we have a bet !

STEWART - Have you collected your dollar yet?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Andy - No, Bruce was suppose to pay Tony Terranova a dollar to be given to me. Bruce Morelan is a deadbeat !

He can buy a coin for $10,000,000 but he can not pay a dollar for a bet he lost !

Should I get Anton to collect my money ?

Stewart
  • Options
    lol - Laura will verify that I told her to give you and roadrunner $1 each the next time she saw you. Failing that, I will give Tony a dollar the next time I see him as we agreed - perhaps CSNS.

I'm wondering if you would have taken the same bet at $100k or $150k. Guess we'll never know, but seems to me it went for a lot more than you expected.
  • Options
    So what did happen?
  • Options
    He can buy a coin for $10,000,000 but he can not pay a dollar for a bet he lost !

I'm no rocket scientist, but that sounds like cause and effect.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So what did happen? >>

Link

Final bid: $164,500
  • Options
    If I was a buyer I would absolutely test it. One of the reasons the 1943 coppers are so valuable is because they are struck on "real" copper Lincoln cent planchets from 1942, which makes the error a transitional off-metal: one of the most popular and dramatic error types, as well as one of the rarest. If a "1943 copper" is not on a copper Lincoln cent planchet of the correct specifications, it is not a transitional off-metal, and would therefore be an entirely different error type (or possibly a pattern of some kind.) I'd certainly check before I bought one.

Of course since the coin went for about $165K, obviously it's still a valuable coin (to at least two bidders), but I would really be interested in hearing why they felt it was worth so much.
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file