Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

can anyone translate this Dutch coin inscription?

It looks to me like most everything is an abbreviation... on the reverse of an early-1600s Netherlands (Gelderland) gold ducat. Thanks in advance for any help!

When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    It's the Latin legend for, "MOneta ORDinum PROVINciarum FOEDERatorum BELGicarum AD LEGem IMPerii"; roughly translated to "Money of the Provinces of the Belgian Federation according to the law of the Empire".

Cheers.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Yep, that's it.

Is that the coin that I think it is? Did you get my message about it Dennis some time back?
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep, that's it.

Is that the coin that I think it is? Did you get my message about it Dennis some time back? >>

My coin club's show and tell topic is coins from a country that start with G. I'm taking one of these and I wanted to be able to say what it meant. Thanks for the help guys. (Sorry Dennis, but I still want to keep it.)
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yep, that's it.

Is that the coin that I think it is? Did you get my message about it Dennis some time back? >>

My coin club's show and tell topic is coins from a country that start with G. I'm taking one of these and I wanted to be able to say what it meant. Thanks for the help guys. (Sorry Dennis, but I still want to keep it.) >>

At least you'll have a home for it if you do decide to sell image

You might want to note that the type was first struck in 1586 and continues to be struck annually to this day.