Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Remember when we used to throw away the inserts and kept the "base" cards?!

Now everyone throws away the "base" cards and keeps the inserts! image
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i regressed completely. now i throw away the contents and keep the wrapper.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Maybe I'm just too "new" of a collector, but from when I started collecting in 1989, inserts were always desirable.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Maybe I'm just too "new" of a collector, but from when I started collecting in 1989, inserts were always desirable. >>

Goes back to the vintage days, when cards got traded and played with. Inserts like League Leaders, World Series/Playoff cards and the like were all but useless.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    These days all cards are inserts.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>These days all cards are inserts. >>

Isn't that the truth... a "few" base cards each with at least 5 times different borders... all inserts with 5 different borders... 10 identical 1/1 autographed cards with different borders... etc. Base (regular) cards are probably only 10-15% of the "set". When I was collecting in the 60s/70s, base cards were 95-98% of the set. Those were the days my friends, I thought they'd never end... image
  • Options
    my Super Secret Decoder Ring told me this would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>my Super Secret Decoder Ring told me this would happen. >>

You have to stimulate an already over-stimulated entitled group of buyers... when I was a child, we got up at 6:30 am and played outside until 11:00 pm. Today, kids interact with their peers via online games and text messages.

When I was a child, you could complete a set... if you could complete a set today, there'd be no interest in the set (over-stimulation). When I was a child, you weren't interested in selling any cards and only traded to complete your set (with the remainder going on the spokes of your bicycle)... if you can't sell a card immediately, there'd be no interest in the set (entitlement). NO ONE collects modern cards today... it's an ABSOLUTE impossibility!
  • Options
    I NEVER threw out the real inserts cards nor did any of my friends who collected ever did such. I'm not sure what your even talking about or if your kidding but Baseball Cards today bore the crap out of me. The business side has completely destroyed this hobby with all their Shiny/Glossy garbage and their lack of unoriginality when it comes to 10 different colored refractors. I really don't need 10 of the same cards nor do I want. Everything got too confusing and with all the relic/jersey/auto patch cards that are of the same players, its just become very boring. I get a jersey card now and I'm like "Umm ok, a piece of cloth". If the hobby just went back to base cards ON CARDBOARD and "certain player auto cards" each year - I think this hobby would get exciting again.
  • Options
    The insert cards I'm talking about were the team stickers, booklets, posters, scratch cards, etc. NOT the leaders, WS, etc., cards that were part of the regular set. We may not have thrown them away immediately, but they were tossed within a few months.
  • Options
    I dont consider stickers and Fleer WS cards as inserts seeing how they were always high numbered cards and always part of the full set. Im talking about the 87 Fleer All-Star cards or the 1992 Fleer Ultra Tony Gwynn Stuff or the Upperdeck Reggie Jackson/Nolan Ryan/Ted Williams and even Michael Jordan Baseball card inserts. Those are inserts, not what you just described.
  • Options
    I'm talking Topps from the 1960s/70s.
  • Options
    Although I wasn't around during that time, I have never considered Scratch off Cards or Stickers to be called inserts. Guess its a "different generation" thing. To each their own. Call it what you like I guess.
  • Options
    generation gap. image

i loved the old insert stuff, especially the glossy cards, stickers, posters, etc. that seem to always be popular with advanced collectors of 60's & 70's stuff. wish i'd kept more of it.

Larry, i'm sorry you had to go home at 11. a lotta good times after midnight. image
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I bought packs of cards just for the gum. :-)
  • Options

<< <i>generation gap. image

i loved the old insert stuff, especially the glossy cards, stickers, posters, etc. that seem to always be popular with advanced collectors of 60's & 70's stuff. wish i'd kept more of it.

Larry, i'm sorry you had to go home at 11. a lotta good times after midnight. image >>

We had to be 12 to be out past midnight! image
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe I'm just too "new" of a collector, but from when I started collecting in 1989, inserts were always desirable. >>

The 1989 Bowman inserts were ridiculous and went straight to trash. Same with most of the Sportflics inserts. Which inserts were you keeping in 1989? I thought inserts started becoming desirable in 1990 with the Reggie Jackson UD Heroes set-

M
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

<< <i>Although I wasn't around during that time, I have never considered Scratch off Cards or Stickers to be called inserts. Guess its a "different generation" thing. To each their own. Call it what you like I guess. >>

We never called them insert... I don't remember ever having a name for them. We also never called a wrapper a wrapper. image

We called base cards cards... wax packs packs, cello packs clear packs, rack packs jumbo packs, etc.,... I was just using current naming conventions.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>The 1989 Bowman inserts were ridiculous and went straight to trash. Same with most of the Sportflics inserts. Which inserts were you keeping in 1989? >>

I never considered the 1989 Bowman "inserts" to be inserts, as they were basically dolled up "ad" cards.

Inserts for 1989 I'm talking about were:

1989 Topps Glossy All Stars (1 per rack pack), Glossy Rookies (1 per jumbo pack)
    1989 Fleer All Stars (random distribution), Headliners (rack packs?)
    1989 Donruss Grand Slammers (Jumbo packs?), MVPs (I didn't like the MVPs though)

1989 Pro Set Pete Roselle
    1989 Topps Football 1000 Yard Club
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Before that was 1986 Fleer baseball All-Star inserts, one of the first types of sub-sets, if I recall correctly. I don't mind the hobby where it is today, but personally, I wish they would thin the set down a little bit. There are relatively a dozen insert sets along with at least one parallel set that makes even the base set difficult to make with two boxes. I think after opening 3 boxes of 2012 Heritage, I have not made a full set (not even including the short print base cards). Autos and high end inserts are fun along the way, but at least let me put a set together! Financially speaking, I have to spend $200 to put together a $50 set.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    When I was opening packs in the early to mid sixties I too never really cared for the
    'extras' as I called them, you couldn't flip them so they had no value in that regard.
    If it was a tattoo I may have tried it a few times, got bored of them and unless it was
    Mantle, Mays or some other superstar into the trash it went with the wrapper. That is
    the reason that today many are scarce. IIRC we had stamps, posters, ruboffs, tattoos
    coins (didn't throw them out, mom did) and probably some I can't even recall.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I kept all of my football inserts in the late 60s and early 70s, and I probably still have most of them. I clearly remember trying to complete the set of 1969 Topps Mini-card albums, because my friend Nick spit on a NY Giants album he got before he realized I needed it. (I wiped it off and kept it anyway.) 1970 Super Glossies are still among my favorite cards, too. I did toss the wrappers and chew the gum, though.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    The reprint 1989 Bowman Mantle and Mays RC inserts werent trash worthy in my neighborhood at the time.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    8 more posts.

Who guessed January 17, 2013?
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Chewed the cards, threw away the gum
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure as far back as at least 1992 (when the first true modern insert sets came out) people went crazy for inserts and (as my January 1994 Beckett pointed out) regular issue cards of superstars and regular sets took a backseat for the most part. For what it's worth, I LOVE collecting insert sets from the early-to-mid 1990s.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Yes. In the early 1970s, I had a Baseball Card Locker where there were slots for 24 teams. That means extra cards like NL Rookies, Checklists, League Leaders, etc. were superflous and just tossed in a drawer because they didn't belong to a team.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just wondering, does anyone know what happened to Larry, the OP?? He was posting here all the time but haven't seen him on in a while.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.