Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What ever happened to the 1999 w Washington commem on dime error?

I was wondering if anyone had any information on this coin?

imageimage

Auction was October 2, 2000 and no more info on this coin was heard of.

Auction Link

The auction records show that it was not sold but was it withdrawn from auction, did not meet it's reserve or was it nabbed by the feds?

Does anyone here know any more about this amazing error or this auction?

Comments

  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    Wow - I had not see that before. But wouldn't that almost be 100% helped out of the mint?

    I wonder if it was confiscated?
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that is a bad a$$ error. Right up there with the IHC struck on a gold planchet, well sorta.
    Uber cool and willing to bet it would bring stupid money.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do people refer to these as errors? They are on purposes! They are made by mint employess to sell at ridiculous prices to ogment their government paychecks.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,243 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Why do people refer to these as errors? They are on purposes! They are made by mint employess to sell at ridiculous prices to ogment their government paychecks. >>



    So every coin ever struck on the wrong planchet was criminal mischief by government employees and the PEOPLE are paying for it ? You have to be kidding me.

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 10,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't automatically assume that it is genuine.
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭✭✭



    << <i>So every coin ever struck on the wrong planchet was criminal mischief by government employees and the PEOPLE are paying for it ? You have to be kidding me. >>



    Can you name three that arn't ???
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,243 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>So every coin ever struck on the wrong planchet was criminal mischief by government employees and the PEOPLE are paying for it ? You have to be kidding me. >>



    Can you name three that arn't ??? >>



    I'm asking the question. Are you too ?

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>So every coin ever struck on the wrong planchet was criminal mischief by government employees and the PEOPLE are paying for it ? You have to be kidding me. >>



    Can you name three that arn't ??? >>



    Easy, I have about 20 that had no help. Wrong planchet errors are very easy to explain and don't need the help of mint employees.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I wouldn't automatically assume that it is genuine. >>



    The strike does seem unusually nice, but could the fact that it was essentially struck without a collar account for that? Think about the 1945-P dimes that have full bands that were broadstruck.

    As to whether the piece had help getting into the press and out of the Mint, I couldn't say.
    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    Well, looking a little further, I found this old link.

    Old Auction Link

    Seems that it and the item right under it (1999 MARTHA WASHINGTON CENT TRIAL STRIKE) were both withdrawn.

    I wonder why the 1999 Washington Commem was withdrawn?
  • Options


    << <i>I wouldn't automatically assume that it is genuine. >>



    Why not?

    It was graded by PCGS and at one point shown to a mint employee at a show who didn't deny it's authenticity. Maybe he later came and seized it? It is after all a West Point Mint item and security is super tight there due to the all the precious metals there. So who knows how it got out? Most likely possibility seems to me to be that it was shipped out in a regular issue box.

    I think there has to be more than this single specimen out there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file