Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1837 Half Cent Token - how many minted?

jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
New purchase today - hope you enjoy it. I had only seen it in the Redbook up to a couple of days ago.

I will add it to my 7070 type set along side my Feuchtwanger!

How common are these? I have not seen any in person to now but according to the Red Book "thousands" were made. Does anyone know a mintage?

Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Comments

• Options
    Ttt for Sunday
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No idea of the mintage numbers of such but it's very cool. I like it, anyway.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I highly doubt that anybody knows.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    I haven't found any estimate of the mintage. Not sure if this has been stated yet, but this is a hard times token, HT-73. Its usually collected by half cent collectors since there were no half cents minted that year and it is the only half cent sized hard times token.
    Very nice coin!

I will post more of the history, at least as I know it, if anyone expresses interest.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! I used to own one that was AU
    I sold it thinking I can find a nice mint state one,

Laugh was on me as it is exceeding difficult to find
    much above MS62 and it will be quite expensive.

I now have been searching for years for nice example
    I sure wish I held on to mine now.

They are not very rare but they are popular with
    HTT collectors along with 1/2 cent people so demand drives the price
    And a nice higher grade are in hands that just won't part with them.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's rated an R2. That's 500-1250. Let's say 1000 survive. Though it's a "guess" the figure of one percent survival is often put forth. So, using that....we get an original issue of 100,000 pieces. IF we think twice as many of these were put away as curiosities...then you have a 50000 mintage. I'd say the actual number struck is within this range. But of course this is only a guess, but far more of these HTTs were struck than re realize. They were sold by weight... They were sought by collectors since the early albums HAD an opening for 1837
  • Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    does anyone know if the weight on these is the same as the regular issue half cents? I have the opportunity to buy an xf example and think they are pretty neat
  • Options
    I believe they are the same weight as a regular half cent but I don't have it in front of me to weigh.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are neat. I've never had one.

Come to think of it, I can't recall ever seeing one, either, except in books and online.

I have had merchant tokens of that era with similar eagles on them, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file