Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1979 O-Pee-Chee Wayne Gretzky Recent Acquisition

I recently picked up this Gretzky Rookie. I wanted a first print run with good eye appeal and happened to find this nice example in my price range. I am beyond excited, yet I do have some concerns. I am not sure if it is worthy of a review with the top left corner, but it may warrant a half grade bump if any. Also, the frosting on the right side has me concerned, 1/4 of the way from the top and the top right corner. If I do decide to have it reviewed, can I ask that it be reincapsulated if by chance it does not get a bump or just send it in with crossovers and ask for reincapsulation?

Comments

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Very nice looking card. I've seen uglier PSA 8's...
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Super sharp for a 7. Nice pickup!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    How do you know it is a first print run? Does the Topps card have print runs as well?
    Hook'em
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Very nice card. How do you tell the difference between print runs?
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a little tough to see in the scan, but there are two blue horizontal lines on the back of the card that are only present on the first print run. They are right around the puck and run the length of the card. This is only present on the O-Pee-Chee and not the Topps.
  • Options
    Nice pickup, great looking card . Looks better than the grade.
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It is a little tough to see in the scan, but there are two blue horizontal lines on the back of the card that are only present on the first print run. They are right around the puck and run the length of the card. This is only present on the O-Pee-Chee and not the Topps. >>

Ah, I never knew that. Thanks! Had to check my PSA 7 OPC and it has the print lines. Did the first print run typically have nicer color (or in this case, colour image )?

Nice pickup, btw!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It is a little tough to see in the scan, but there are two blue horizontal lines on the back of the card that are only present on the first print run. They are right around the puck and run the length of the card. This is only present on the O-Pee-Chee and not the Topps. >>

Ah, I never knew that. Thanks! Had to check my PSA 7 OPC and it has the print lines. Did the first print run typically have nicer color (or in this case, colour image )?

Nice pickup, btw! >>

Thank you! That is a great question. I want to say the change in print runs was from a leftover card stock to another, so it is possible that there is a slight "colour" difference. In addition, I think the change in card stocks caused the rough cuts in the second print run to go from bad to worse. I am by no means an expert, so maybe a more seasoned collector can step in and verify the change in card stocks.
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there is a major difference between the print run with the vertical lines and the subsequent ones without (who knows how many print runs there were?)

I think the vertical blue lines on the back were a point of differentiation between fakes and legit copies, so perhaps more emphasis was places in the lines being a good thing.

Gretzky rookies are notorious for print spots, fish eyes, poor registration, and other surface related issues. I have seen more "blue line" Gretzky's with good surface and color quality, but I am sometimes too focused on these issues. I would say it is a red herring in a PSA holder but a good indication of authenticity if it is not. Yours has a number of good attributes and it is a nice looking 7. I would imagine the combination of l/r and t/b centering lowered the grade to a 7.

Hope this helps.

-Nathanael
  • Options
    Print Runs

The number of print runs and difference between the first is a well known fact. The blue lines only existed on the first print run, whereas the second print run had none. So it is possible to have a authentic Gretzky without the blue lines. Where I was unsure is the difference in quality from the first print run to the second and how it could possibly be attributed to a change in card stock.