Home Sports Talk
Options

2013 Pro Football Hall oF Fame Congrats!

AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
Welcome to the newest class of Football Hall of Famers!

Larry Allen
Cris Carter
Charles Haley
Bill Parcels
Art Modell

Way to Go!

OK, this is not the final list--they are still part of the 15 finalists, but they are my personal "biased" choices for various reasons based on my preferences as a fan of the NFL.

Post your list of 4-5 favorites among the 15 finalists.

Here's the list of finalists:

Warren Sapp (DL)
Michael Strahan (DL)
Jonathan Ogden (OL)
Larry Allen (OL)
Tim Brown (WR)
Cris Carter (WR)
Andre Reed (WR)
Jerome Bettis (RB)
Wil Shields (OL)
Bill Parcells (Coach)
Kevin Greene (LB)
Charles Haley (DE/LB)
Dave Robinson (LB)
Curley Culp (DT)
Aeneas Williams (CB/S)
Edward DeBartolo, Jr. (Owner)
Art Modell (Owner)

I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.

Comments

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Charles Haley - key defensive member of 5 Super Bowl Champions - Has any other player(starter) ever won 5?
    Cris Carter
    Michael Strahan
    Tim Brown
    Larry Allen - key blocker for one of the most perennially, prolific rushing attacks in many years
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    If Jonathan Ogden isn't a first ballot hall of famer, then I dunno who is.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Larry Allen (OL)
    Cris Carter (WR)
    Andre Reed (WR)
    Bill Parcells (Coach)
    Charles Haley (DE/LB)
    Art Modell (Owner)
  • Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    Edward DeBartolo Jr
    Charles Haley
    Larry Allen
    Cris Carter
    Aeneas Williams
  • Options
    So Ogden goes to 11 straight pro bowls, best player of the decade at his position, and nobody thinks hes a hofer?
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    As a UCLA Bruin fan I like Ogden but I like Larry Allen better. Maybe two OL's get in this go-round!?
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Why would Cris Carter be inducted into the Hall of Fame? I mean, all he does is catch touchdown passes! image
  • Options

<< <i>So Ogden goes to 11 straight pro bowls, best player of the decade at his position, and nobody thinks hes a hofer? >>

Yeah, I'm surprised by this too...

My list:

Michael Strahan
    Bill Parcells
    Art Modell
    Jonathan Ogden
    Jerome Bettis

Realistically, I can't see two OL getting inducted in any year, so my guess is one makes it this year and one next year.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Larry Allen and Jonathan Ogden seem pretty similar in achievements as far as Offensive Linemen. I went with with Allen as a personal preference, but think Ogden is as good. I don't see where anyone could proclaim Ogden to be superior to Allen and vice versa.

Ogden went to 11 straight Pro Bowls
    Allen went to 11 out of 12 straight Pro Bowls (not voted to 2002 Pro Bowl because he had a season-ending injury in Game 5). I would be willing to bet he would have been in 12 straight if not for the injury shortened season.

Allen was First Team All-Pro 6 years
    Ogden was First Team All-Pro 4 years

Both were on Super Bowl winning teams:
    Allen 1995 Cowboys
    Ogden 2000 Ravens

Allen started 197 games in 14 years
    Ogden started 176 games in 12 years

I don't see anything that shows one lineman superior to the other, both should/will be in the HOF at some point--but I, too, believed they would likely only add one lineman this year, and I think a "slight" edge goes to Larry Allen. I would be totally fine if both got in this year.

Do the Ogden supporters have any strong arguments/discussion why Ogden is superior to Allen, or is it just a personal preference as well between two worthy players?
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options

<< <i>Larry Allen and Jonathan Ogden seem pretty similar in achievements as far as Offensive Linemen. I went with with Allen as a personal preference, but think Ogden is as good. I don't see where anyone could proclaim Ogden to be superior to Allen and vice versa.

Ogden went to 11 straight Pro Bowls
    Allen went to 11 out of 12 straight Pro Bowls (not voted to 2002 Pro Bowl because he had a season-ending injury in Game 5). I would be willing to bet he would have been in 12 straight if not for the injury shortened season.

Allen was First Team All-Pro 6 years
    Ogden was First Team All-Pro 4 years

Both were on Super Bowl winning teams:
    Allen 1995 Cowboys
    Ogden 2000 Ravens

Allen started 197 games in 14 years
    Ogden started 176 games in 12 years

I don't see anything that shows one lineman superior to the other, both should/will be in the HOF at some point--but I, too, believed they would likely only add one lineman this year, and I think a "slight" edge goes to Larry Allen. I would be totally fine if both got in this year.

Do the Ogden supporters have any strong arguments/discussion why Ogden is superior to Allen, or is it just a personal preference as well between two worthy players? >>

Of course I agree. However, I do note that Ogden is #72 in the NFL top 100 players of all time and Larry is #95. I am not sure why. I think Larry has a better back story too; multiple high schools around the state, Butte JC (same as Aaron Rogers), back on the streets of Compton for a year, gets recruited to no-scholarship division II school, never gives up a sack in two years there, and then gets drafted in second round.

• Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Larry Allen was a guard, not a tackle.... See Jerry Kramer...lol
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    I think Allen is just as worthy as Ogden. Both should be in, I just memtioned ogden because nobody else did
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>Larry Allen was a guard, not a tackle.... See Jerry Kramer...lol >>

He played both spots in his career.
  • Options
    Larry might be the strongest man to ever play professional football.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Ogden, Strahan, Carter, Debartolo, Modell, Robinson
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    In! image
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    The five who made it are: Larry Allen, Jonathan Ogden, Cris Carter, Warren Sapp and Bill Parcells. The Veterans Committee also voted in Curley Culp and Dave Robinson.
  • Options
    Surprised by two OLs, but both deserved it. Nice to see Carter finally getting in. Always thought he would have been a first ballot inductee.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    Met Dave Robinson when was coaching h.s. Football. Real gentleman and role model. Glad Carter got in, too!