Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1981 Topps Football Vending Box

Bought a box of 1981 Topps Football vending from BBCE a few months ago. I should have done more research before buying as I expected the cards to be in better condition but that's my fault. I did pull two Montana RCs which PSA graded 7 and 8. Pulled 1 Art Monk RC that got an 8. Overall I lost money on the deal but my fault for not researching vending boxes prior to purchasing. At least I got two Montanas out of it.

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got the biggies for sure.

Vending is hit or mix when looking for mint cards. I have probably busted a dozen 70's vending boxes and have had only 3 that were super-sharp. They are out there, but odds are against.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 605 ✭✭✭
    Actually I would be very pleased with your results. I have only a 50 percent success rate (6 out of 12) of pulling a Montana even though it's only a 528 card set. In addition I never pulled the double Montana out of the same box. And yes all were from BBCE. Nice box!
  • Options
    I agree but because I had no interest in the commons or building a set it would have been cheaper for me to buy a Montana PSA 7 and 8 plus an Art Monk 8. Question, why have you purchased so many of them?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You got the biggies for sure.

Vending is hit or mix when looking for mint cards. I have probably busted a dozen 70's vending boxes and have had only 3 that were super-sharp. They are out there, but odds are against. >>

Mike is right on. Vending is hit or miss, which is why it goes for a discount vs wax or racks. The latter two options are much better sources for mint cards. Overall, though, you did quite well, as busting vintage unopened is a losing proposition to begin with.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Bought a box of 1981 Topps Football vending from BBCE a few months ago. I should have done more research before buying as I expected the cards to be in better condition but that's my fault. I did pull two Montana RCs which PSA graded 7 and 8. Pulled 1 Art Monk RC that got an 8. Overall I lost money on the deal but my fault for not researching vending boxes prior to purchasing. At least I got two Montanas out of it. >>

Edited because I offended somebody...........................My Bad image

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Stellar post by Neil. I was sharing my experience opening a box. Nothing more nothing less. If you have a problem with that then you have a problem with that.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Wow, Neil, what a dick post for no apparent reason...

We're here to have fun and share our experiences about the hobby we love. I, for one, love these threads. You, for one, seem to be a tool, but I will reserve judgment because I have not read your other 4,000 posts, nor do I plan to
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options

<< <i> I should have done more research before buying >>

Yes you should have, if you're looking for PSA 9 and PSA 10 cards fresh from ANY unopened material, stick with the modern shiny stuff. There is a reason the late 70's and early 80's key rookie cards command premiums in PSA 9 and PSA 10......

You actually did really well pulling two Montana's. I recall the 81 Topps vending case BBCE broke last year or the year before were good on centering.
  • Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree but because I had no interest in the commons or building a set it would have been cheaper for me to buy a Montana PSA 7 and 8 plus an Art Monk 8. Question, why have you purchased so many of them? >>

Simply to bust, make a couple sets and see how many Montana's I could get. And yes, it sure would be better off to just buy a PSA 7 Montana and save a bunch of dough each time, but that doesn't quite take the edge off.
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    I bought one of these vending boxes maybe a couple years ago or so. If memory serves I got one each of the biggies ( Montana, Monk, Clark ). I know the Montana graded PSA 7 and i think other 2 got 8. I did get 2 PSA10 commons and maybe 25-30 Psa 9 commons. But as usual with this set, most were o/c. Still had a blast going through it and looking at all the cards!
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭
    I just picked up the rest of the 81 vending boxes and no surprise, there are none on the site now. I'll probably bust one for nostalgic purposes but the rest I will keep sealed. I hope I'm lucky enough to pull two Montana's!
  • Options
    I bought one of these from BBCE and posted my results a while back, can't complain at all, I went in understanding price was right and hoped maybe there could be a gem key card or duplicates of others.

I ended subbing and getting
    1 x Montana 8
    2 x Payton 8
    1 x Dwight Clark 9
    1 x Bradshaw 9OC

I sold the opened vending box for 50ish to a set collector. Got $150 for the Montana and just sent the others to auction. I'll probably break even including grading fees, had some fun and learned some info on vending boxes as this was my first time opening one. BBCE 81's were from a case which was one of the reasons I bought it to try out, I wouldn't go after stand alone vendings from Ebay.

These would be great thing for raw set builders
  • Options
    150 for PSA Montana? Nice.
  • Options
    Plus shipping!