Home Sports Talk

2014 HOF

markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
Next year Maddux, Glavine, Mussina, Kent, and the Big Hurt will be added to an already crowded ballot. It's not getting any easier to get elected.

Comments

• sportscardstopsportscardstop Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    There is a good chance some of the big names could fall of the Ballot.

Maddux and Glavine are locks, Thomas should be a lock IMO as well. Mussina and Kent won't get in right away, but they will get 40% of the votes. Then Biggio, Morris, Bagwell, Piazza and Raines will command 50% or more of the votes. Then Bonds, Clemens, Edgar, Smith and Shilling.

It is very possible that Sosa, Palmeiro, and McGwire could fall off the ballot. Same with McGriff, Trammel, Mattingly and Murphy.

Craig Biggio 388 (68.2%)

Jack Morris 385 (67.7%)

Jeff Bagwell 339 (59.6%)

Mike Piazza 329 (57.8%)

Tim Raines 297 (52.2%)

Lee Smith 272 (47.8%)

Curt Schilling 221 (38.8%)

Roger Clemens 214 (37.6%)

Barry Bonds 206 (36.2%)

Edgar Martinez 204 (35.9%)

Alan Trammell 191 (33.6%)

Larry Walker 123 (21.6%)

Fred McGriff 118 (20.7%)

Dale Murphy 106 (18.6%)

Mark McGwire 96 (16.9%)

Don Mattingly 75 (13.2%)

Sammy Sosa 71 (12.5%)

Rafael Palmeiro 50 (8.8%
  • Agree with everyone thus far. Still think Piazza should have been 1st ballot HOFer but that's just me I guess.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not just start a new HOF for the modern era and leave Cooperstown for the game that once was instead of the train wreck it has become?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• I have heard several people say that Frank Thomas is a lock. How can he be considered a lock at this point? He is a five-time All Star that spent the majority of his career at DH. He did this during a time where, apparently, it is assumed that everybody was on steroids. How is he a lock? How is anybody a lock?
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>I have heard several people say that Frank Thomas is a lock. How can he be considered a lock at this point? He is a five-time All Star that spent the majority of his career at DH. He did this during a time where, apparently, it is assumed that everybody was on steroids. How is he a lock? How is anybody a lock? >>

Maddux is a lock. Jr Griffey is a lock. Thomas should be a lock.

Piazza? Eh. Mussina? No way. Biggio. Too short. Bagwell? I didn't like his stance.
  • Frank Thomas only has 5 AS appearances, but I think AS appearances are overrated. Thomas had 2-3 years with amazing stats and No allstar appearance: .318, 32hr, 109rbi in 1991, .323, 24hr, 115 rbi in 1992, and .328, 43hr, 143rbi in 2000. He also won 2 MVPs, Top 5 in MVP voting 4 other times. How many times does a deserving all-star get bumped because of the "every team must be represented" rule?

He was a dominant player from 1991-1997, and still had very solid years after that.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is very possible that Sosa, Palmeiro, and McGwire could fall off the ballot. Same with McGriff, Trammel, Mattingly and Murphy. >>

Murphy's done anyway. This was his 15th try and he missed. Up to the Veterans Committee now.

Tabe