Home Precious Metals
Options

That special place

derrybderryb Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
We all have that special place that we let out mind travel to when there is uncertainty.

When I begin to question my metal decisions or begin to loose faith in the market here is my special place for meditation..

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

Comments

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Funny! image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I question things, I give my kids a hug and kiss.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    different places for different things.

• Options
    I think it called "order of importance". image

• Options
    image someone recently said, each day work hard, be honest and when the day is done fold the cards and lay them down for the night. Don't worry and the next day you play the cards dealt.
  • Options

<< <i>I think it called "order of importance". image >>

Order of importance has nothing to do with it. It is a PM related comment on the PM forum.

• Options
    So what is the uncertaintity of which you speak? You not sure PMs are the cure all, or the path to riches? You seem to have a constant need to reaffirm your beliefs. No offense intended, but this is typical of religion.

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The image is a bit peaceful if you just stare at it and think that these numbers really do not mean anything, and that it's up to you to see past them.

It's all about what the people want...

• Options

<< <i>So what is the uncertaintity of which you speak? You not sure PMs are the cure all, or the path to riches? You seem to have a constant need to reaffirm your beliefs. No offense intended, but this is typical of religion. >>

PMs 101 - PMs are an investment. All investments carry risk. Risk creates uncertainty. What one does with that uncertainty is what separates winners from losers.

• Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    So much red, my eyes hurt!

Watching it actually makes me very sad for my generation and what we get to look forward to. It def wont be the same US of A that my parents enjoyed
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Watching it actually makes me very sad for my generation and what we get to look forward to. It def wont be the same US of A that my parents enjoyed

It wont be the same for us in 4-5 years let alone the most recent past generation. The world is moving too quickly these days and a beatdown is coming, you can count on it.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 'go to' chart.

This chart is the sole reason why I started investing in PM's in 2002 and have maintained the course since then.

The chart is a little outdated as the current ratio is 8:1.

It's going to 1:1. You can take that to the bank.

Everything else that's happened since 2002 has just reinforced my belief.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    really, really sad.

If the US sold ALL of it's 286-some odd million ounces of gold reserves, we couldn't even pay off the INTEREST of just a couple years of the accrued debt.

Interesting to see that China and India are kicking butt on the demand for gold. They must know something.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Realitively are not the stocks (dow #) pretty high and gold pretty high, at the same time?
    COA
  • Options

<< <i>Watching it actually makes me very sad for my generation and what we get to look forward to. It def wont be the same US of A that my parents enjoyed

It wont be the same for us in 4-5 years let alone the most recent past generation. The world is moving too quickly these days and a beatdown is coming, you can count on it. >>

Your father and his father and his father all said the same thing.

• Options

<< <i>Realitively are not the stocks (dow #) pretty high and gold pretty high, at the same time? >>

The chart displays a ratio, not a price.

What I mean by this is for instance, if the Dow/Gold ratio is 20:1 the prices of the two at any one time could be any price ... DJIA 100,000, Gold $5,000 or DJIA 10,000, Gold $500 or DJIA 1,000, Gold $50...as long as the price of the Dow divided by the price of an ounce of Gold equals 20.

So if one believes in this chart and more importantly, the trend is showing a downward trend from today's D/G ratio of 8:1 going to a ratio of 1:1, then one could disagree with you and say stocks are high and Gold is still low.

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    has dow:gold EVER been 1:1? if so, what was the date and time of that momentary anomoly?

IMO if you're expecting (and waiting for) 1:1 you will die with your gold and your heirs will sell it and buy a flying car and a holodeck.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Had the price of gold not been fixed during the great depression, I feel confident that, due to the bad taste for equities, the ratio would have been much, much lower. I also feel confident that a greater depression could easily drive it much lower than 1:1.

The chart is also a good snapshot of the historical inverse releationship between gold and equities. One peaks, the other bottoms.

• Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i> buy a flying car and a holodeck. >>

Where can i buy these, they sound fun! image
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options

<< <i>has dow:gold EVER been 1:1? if so, what was the date and time of that momentary anomoly?

IMO if you're expecting (and waiting for) 1:1 you will die with your gold and your heirs will sell it and buy a flying car and a holodeck. >>

I believe the Dow fluctuated in 1980 from 750 to 950. Gold was in the $800's.

I don't have the exact dates but I'm sure the ratio got to 1:1 or if not exactly 1:1 then extremely close to it.

If it happened before, why can't it happen again?

• Options
    Not saying it can't.. just saying I think it won't. You think it will. As of now, I'm right.
    If you're ever right about this in the future, I will be the very first one to admit it, and congratulate you on meeting your target.

Me, if the ratio ever gets to 4:1, I will sell every scrap of gold I have and go long stocks, for the next cycle back up to 30:1

• Options

<< <i>Not saying it can't.. just saying I think it won't. You think it will. As of now, I'm right.
    If you're ever right about this in the future, I will be the very first one to admit it, and congratulate you on meeting your target.

Me, if the ratio ever gets to 4:1, I will sell every scrap of gold I have and go long stocks, for the next cycle back up to 30:1 >>

That's where we differ.

By the way, I'll be doing the same thing as you, sell gold and buy stocks, just at a slightly different ratio (which does equate to a huge difference in the price of gold).

This chart is interesting though because it only goes to 1995.

The ratio was at a peak of 30.

If you and I debated the probability of the Dow ratio going up to 40 (which of course it did in 2000) we might have both thought that was impossible.

So let's not totally discount the probability of it going to 1:1 (it is currently trending that way(downward)).

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i see bankruptcy in thier future
  • Options

<< <i>My 'go to' chart.

This chart is the sole reason why I started investing in PM's in 2002 and have maintained the course since then.

image >>

I am highly confident the ratio will be 10:1 at some point over the next 12-18 months.

• Options

<< <i>We all have that special place that we let out mind travel to when there is uncertainty.

When I begin to question my metal decisions or begin to loose faith in the market here is my special place for meditation.. >>

An interesting site. When viewing from my office chair, get a similar thoughts and feelings as when I viewed the nighttime sky from my patio chair with my telescope..

Wow, what a big universe! And this right here is my seat, in my little corner of it all.

• Options
    By the way, how's that Dow:Gold ratio doing? image

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>By the way, how's that Dow:Gold ratio doing? image >>

DJIA/Au = 15.1
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My 'go to' chart.

image >>

I am highly confident the ratio will be 10:1 at some point over the next 12-18 months. >>

I should have looked at this chart more closely and realized that it only went to 2006. Anyway, from just looking at the pattern it was easy to predict a lower ratio which did hit 9 within 30 months and then below 7 just 6 months later.