Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

opinions on the best Brady and Peyton rookie cards

What is your opinion/ranking of the best rookie cards of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning to own? I do not have any of either one of them yet. Primarily looking for one(s) t hold or increase in value. thanks, Tom

Comments

• Options
    Aside from auto's, I would say for Brady is 2000 Bowman Chrome.
  • Options
    Contenters Auto for Brady
    Playoff Auto Ticket for Manning
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Manning is 1998 SP Authentic and Brady is 2000 SP.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    abcoltsfanabcoltsfan Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    For Manning I personally think it is the Topps #360 card. That seems to be the most sought after card.

Working on the following sets
    1980's and 1990's Topps Baseball BBCE FASC - Cello or Wax Boxes
    1952 Bowman US Presidents PSA 7 & up
    Pro Football Hall of Fame Indianapolis Colts PSA Registry Set
    June 9th Cubs full ticket or stubs - 1981 to 2020
    Andre Dawson Topps Basic registry PSA 10's
    Mark Grace Topps Basic registry PSA 10's

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    As far as Brady is concerned:

And one of these of Peyton:

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Do you mean base rookies, or asking about all parallels? For both I think the best rookie card is the Contenders Championship Ticket Auto...for base, its the SP Authentic.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    I'm not sure I believe they will increase in value in the future given their already lofty levels; but I'd go with Playoff Contenders Auto for both. I'd expect the auto cards to be in greater demand in the future versus their non-auto counterparts and thus have a better chance of sustaining or increasing value.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2022 11:50PM

I am not so familiar with football cards, but I know Tom Brady is to football as Babe Ruth is to Baseball, or something similar.

I am curious to know what some of his better rookie cards are. I have heard of SP Authentic, Contenders Championship, Playoff Contenders Auto, 2000 Bowman Chrome and 2000 SP being mentioned here. While this may make sense to the football card collectors, I need the year and full manufacturer/variety name to grasp it. A nice orderly list with year and full manufacturer name would be helpful to me as a novice in football cards.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

all Tom Brady rookie cards are from the year 2000.

as far as i am concerned, his best rookie is the Bowman Chrome Refractor. it is the only topps produced Refractor Brady had issued during his rookie season. That pedigree is unmatched in collecting circles.

I think his Leaf Limited is undervalued. it was a premium brand, pictures brady in a patriots uniform and is numbered to only 350. one of his most limited rookies.

If on a budget, Every Brady collection should have a copy of the base Bowman rookie.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Thanks, Craig44

This is helping. So, there is a 2000 Bowman Chrome Refractor, Bowman Chrome and simply Bowman. The latter is a standard issue rookie card from a reputable long standing Football card manufacturer, I assume. It is not the highest price rookie, but a solid rookie that would be recognizable in the hobby. While I respect the limited edition rookies numbering in the few hundreds, they do not reach the broader core collectors. Of course, one does not want the overprinted cards either.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeutscherGeist said:
    Thanks, Craig44

This is helping. So, there is a 2000 Bowman Chrome Refractor, Bowman Chrome and simply Bowman. The latter is a standard issue rookie card from a reputable long standing Football card manufacturer, I assume. It is not the highest price rookie, but a solid rookie that would be recognizable in the hobby. While I respect the limited edition rookies numbering in the few hundreds, they do not reach the broader core collectors. Of course, one does not want the overprinted cards either.

The Bowman Chrome should not be considered limited edition, numbered cards. They should be considered premium cards when compared to regular issue Bowman. Chrome cards are widely accepted in the hobby and IMHO should not be considered niche cards that do not reach the broader core collectors. They have done extremely well in the market and should continue to do so.

Good luck in your quest, the Brady cards are expensive in high grade.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting. 4246 Bowman Chrome Brady's have been submitted and 1121 have received PSA 10 compared to 5732 regular issue Bowman submitted and 462 receiving PSA 10. I've never claimed to be a math wizard, but it seems that the regular issue is three times more difficult to obtain the highest grade. Of course, the Chrome sells for a few thousand more.

• Options

I guess Bowman Chrome is to Bowman what Topps Tiffany is to Topps from the 1980s. It's a premium card but not some niche card. The broad collector base can access both.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would go with these two because they are not only serial numbered but back when the Registry picked the best non auto rookie cards these were what was used.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeutscherGeist said:
    Thanks, Craig44

I would say Base Bowman and Bowman Chrome are not limited or rare in any way. But they are the only "flagship" Topps produced Brady Rookies. That sort of pedigree cannot be matched by any of his other rookies. People not in the hobby know what Topps is. not so with donruss, fleer, playoff etc.

The Bowman Chrome refractor is considered a very limited and very expensive card. probably a top 3 with the Champ Ticket and Rookie ticket. they are not numbered, but are certainly more rare than the rookie tickets.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.