Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

NFL experience card show at Super Bowl?

Hey gang making my first Super Bowl trip this year down in New Orleans. Anybody have any feedback on what to expect at the Nfl experience, website indicates a card show? Hoping its a good one as shows in western Canada are few and far between.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i went 6 years ago to South Florida with my son and we had a good time, although it rained a lot & the Bears lost. image

the "card show" at the NFL Experience featured a lot of stuff to look at, but the appeal for shopping mostly centered on adornments like jerseys, hats, etc......plenty of that.

i didn't see anything there that seemed like a good buying opportunity for cards, but i wasn't really looking for much anyways.

there should be interactive games, autographs to chase, plenty of athletes, celebrities, food, booze, all that good stuff.......i hope you have as much fun there as we did. image

here's a coupla pics from the trip, just because.......

• Options
    OriolesOrioles Posts: 312 ✭✭✭
    I had a chance to go to the NFL experience last year in Indy with my 12 year old son. From what i remember, the card show was mostly memorabilia and non-signed football merchandise although there were a few card dealer set up (mostly modern) including a few manufacturers (topps and panini, i think). Also had a few auction houses that had their items for upcoming auctions. Prices were the same or higher you'd expect to see at any other card show.

The NFL experience overall is a fun time. A lot of stations set up that allow you to compete in various NFL activities. 40 yard dash, field goal kicking station, several stations to throw a football around/above/over defenders, catching balls from a punt machine or JUGGS machine. I was there on two separate days over the first weekend and it was packed. Stood in line for most events about 30 minutes to an hour each on Saturday (field goal kicking station seemed to be the longest). On Sunday, found out they sell a "fast pass" that allows you to get in the front of each line. Bought that the second day (can't remember price but was probably around an extra $50 per ticket) and went through more activities in the first hour than I did the whole first day. i thought it was well worth it

The fast pass also allowed you to get in the front of two lines for autographs as well, which is helpful if you want to get autographs and allowed you to get to the front of the line to get a picture with the Lombardi trophy (super long lines). NFL experience also had a large souvenir store if you are looking for anything Super Bowl related.

Outside of the official NFL experience venue, they had a bunch of other activities, bands, food, games that create a great atmosphere. Even in cold Indianapolis, it was fun.

Overall, well worth doing and if you want to spend a little more on the fast pass tickets you can really get your money worth.

Enjoy!

• Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey gang making my first Super Bowl trip this year down in New Orleans. Anybody have any feedback on what to expect at the Nfl experience, website indicates a card show? Hoping its a good one as shows in western Canada are few and far between.

Thanks! >>

If you need general New Orleans advice/recommendations, drop me a PM.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    We set up at Superbowl XXXI in 1997, we were the only shop from New Orleans to set up. It was pretty much as Orioles & Itzagoner described. We specialized in Highland Mint products & sold quite a bit. In vintage we sold A Jordan rookie, Unitas rookie, but as I remember, there were plenty of card dealers, but that may have changed through out the years.

I went to the Superbowl XXXVI and it was absolutely amazing. New Orleans is perfect for a Superbowl because everything is within walking distance. The day of the game, I walked down to the riverfront, walking in front of me was Tom Jackson & Chris Berman. I followed them to where they were doing a pregame show with Steve Young and others. Than I walked to the hotel the Rams were staying at and watched them all get on the 2 busses. Street venders, scalpers, shops everywhere, you can walk down the street drinking a beer or daquiri. People everywhere! Than it's a few blocks over to the Superdome, an easy walk. You will have a great time!

Here is a picture of myself & wife set up at NFL Experience in 1996 in the Packer Jerseys. Cards Of Fame was the name of our shop.

• Options
    Great info and memory sharing guys, thanks!

My first Super Bowl but not first trip to NOLA. If the wife had her way we would have a place there for regular visits, maybe someday.

Looks like I'll be flying solo at the game, wife can't stomach the thought of $2000 a ticket for her to sit there uninterested excepy for beyonce lol. So I'll go and she will watch at a bar with friends.

Looking forward to it!
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i went 6 years ago to South Florida with my son and we had a good time, although it rained a lot & the Bears lost. image

the "card show" at the NFL Experience featured a lot of stuff to look at, but the appeal for shopping mostly centered on adornments like jerseys, hats, etc......plenty of that.

i didn't see anything there that seemed like a good buying opportunity for cards, but i wasn't really looking for much anyways.

there should be interactive games, autographs to chase, plenty of athletes, celebrities, food, booze, all that good stuff.......i hope you have as much fun there as we did. image

here's a coupla pics from the trip, just because.......

I

image >>

was also at this game,I had same experience as you stated.Seemd like at of trinket type stuff as opposed t cards
    and memboralia.The price tags are SO high as you can imagine.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    Ok now for the serious questions......best place for a Po Boy? My search continues :-)
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is a picture of myself & wife set up at NFL Experience in 1996 in the Packer Jerseys. Cards Of Fame was the name of our shop.
    image >>

Good lord Mike! Did you by chance ever coach the Packers?
  • Options
    Back at work and nursing a 6 day hangover from my stay in New Orleans! What an intense second half of a game, could not think of a better city to experience the Super Bowl. My team lost but that did little to detract from the experience, and the blackout gives us a special memory lol

NFL experience was great (run the 40 in 4.43 or less and get free game tickets!) That card side of it was hidden away in the back, very small compared to everything else. Mostly auto stuff with only 2-3 card tables with new patch stuff being the bulk of it. Panini had a booth selling 5 card commerative sets I passed on. Topps was selling commerative SB factory sets of 2012 football limited to 1000-2000 if I recall. I picked one up, still need to check if each card is marked SB47 or just the packaging. With purchase of a factory set they gave you the choice to pick a patch card #'d to 200 of Luck, RG3 or LA faves - Manning bothers or Brees. I grabbed a Luck.

Great Super Bowl experience all around and can't wait for a return to New Orleans. Thanks for all your tips guys.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Glad you had a good time! Thanks for sharing.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.