Home Sports Talk
Options

Bill James on the HOF

markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
From an interview:

Summary Bonds: “you have to honor him, but I’d make him wait”; Clemens: “an obvious Hall of Famer”; Piazza: “sure”; Sosa: “I probably wouldn’t”; Biggio: “sure”; Schilling: “probably above the line”; Lofton: “probably”

Later in the show: Raines: “absolutely”; Walker: “not high on my list”; Trammell: “a Hall of Famer”; B. Williams: “probably not”; E. Martinez: “I think so”; Morris: “I wouldn’t vote for him”; D. Murphy: “I wouldn’t vote for him”; McGriff: “probably above the HOF line”

And finally, Bagwell: “Pass.” (Okay, fine, they forgot to ask him about Bagwell.)

Comments

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bonds- yes, Clemens- yes, Piazza- yes, Sosa- yes, Biggio- yes, Schilling- no, Lofton- no
    Raines- yes, Walker- no, Trammell- yes, Williams- no, Martinez- yes, Morris- no, Murphy- no, McGriff- yes
    Bagwell- yes
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>markj111,

Can you provide some context on James' remarks concerning Bonds. How is Clemens "an obvious Hall of Famer" yet he would make Bonds wait. We're talking about easily the best overall player over at least the last 40 years. Also, did he opine on Mac and Palm? >>

You can hear the discussion at: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=25543669&topic_id=&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_25543669&v=3
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>markj111,

Can you provide some context on James' remarks concerning Bonds. How is Clemens "an obvious Hall of Famer" yet he would make Bonds wait. We're talking about easily the best overall player over at least the last 40 years. Also, did he opine on Mac and Palm? >>

Please remember to always use the * when discussing Bonds' accomplishments.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Please remember to always use the * when discussing Bonds' accomplishments.

Should we use it when mentioning his 7 MVP's? Or his 14 All Star appearances? His 500+ stolen bases(how many ped users gained speed?) His pre bulked up years were enough to get him in.

I am a huge fan of Clemens, especially his Red Sox days. Do you also use the * whenever you say anything about him?
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Please remember to always use the * when discussing Bonds' accomplishments.

Should we use it when mentioning his 7 MVP's? Or his 14 All Star appearances? His 500+ stolen bases(how many ped users gained speed?) His pre bulked up years were enough to get him in.

I am a huge fan of Clemens, especially his Red Sox days. Do you also use the * whenever you say anything about him? >>

Sure. Both are lying a**holes who will never reside in C'town. F**k em both. Terrible stewards of the game. By the way, yours is a typical response. You realize there is no defending Bonds, but you want badly to defend him, so you deflect attention away by mentioning other steriod users. Its a losing PR strategy.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Cheating has always existed in ALL sports ....

The HOF might as well bar the doors at this point and call it a day ... or they can be what it is -- A MUSEUM -- and still put in the best of the day.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards