Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

"Holey" VF-XF details Puerto Rico 20-centavos, 1895

Puerto Rico 20-centavos, 1895. ON HOLD

A one-year denomination.

Though struck under Spanish rule, these coins are now listed in the US Red Book (on page 406 of the 2013 edition, along with the Hawaiian issues). They've long been rather scarce and sought after, but I suspect prices might climb a little now that the Red Book includes them.

This coin is a "holey", of course- it was on my Holey Coin Vest. I am auctioning off 80-85% off that collection (please see eBay link in my sig line), but I thought I'd dangle this one on the BST before I throw it on eBay.

Composition is .900 silver/.1447 oz. Krause-Mishler (KM) number 22. The 2013 Red book lists Fine at $45.00, VF at $100, and EF at $150. My 2009-ish Krause catalog lists the same values. I'd say this has easy VF details, and pretty close to EF, so it would theoretically have been a $100+ coin without the hole.

Asking $39.00 delivered.

This would make a nice gift for somebody of Puerto Rican extraction- they're pretty proud of their heritage. I could imagine some Puerto Rican lady would love this for a necklace.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.