Home Sports Talk
Options

Comparing the college football conferences

So SEC is the best. There isn't much debate there.

How much better is the SEC than the Pac 12, Big 10, and Big 12?

Between those 3 is any one clearly the runner up? I suppose the Big 12 with Ok, OK state and K-state!?

I still think 'Bama will beat ND but seeing upsets like Louisville beating Fla makes one remember that anything is possible on any given night.

Comments

• Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Another point about the FL game is ...they weren't playing for the championship thus Alabama has plenty to play for.
  • Options

<< <i>So SEC is the best. There isn't much debate there.

How much better is the SEC than the Pac 12, Big 10, and Big 12?

Between those 3 is any one clearly the runner up? I suppose the Big 12 with Ok, OK state and K-state!?

>>

Might be the ACC. They went 4-2 in bowl games.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Talking about the best conferences always seems to revolve around only talking about the best 2-4 teams in a conference--to me that is not valid in comparing "conferences", as it is only talking about the top "teams". In that regard, I would agree the SEC has the best top teams.

But to truly compare conferences, you need to look at not only how strong the top teams are, but also how the middle-tier teams and the basement teams compare to other conferences. I have always liked the Sagarin Computer rankings, as it was designed to compare the strength of conferences as a WHOLE, not by only looking at the top teams but by the strength rating of every team in the conference.

As of games played through December 29, that ranking system had the BIG-12 and SEC almost equal.

It next had The PAC-12 and BIG-10 almost equal at the 3 and 4 spots, but clearly separated from the top 2 spots.

I guess the next update of the rankings will happen Tuesday after the BCS championship game is complete.

I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I always like Sagarin too... because it often has my Pac-10 (12) rated highly. image

I never knew why. Just figured Mr. Sagrain lived out west. However, interesting to know more. Thanks.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Sagarin's Computer cranked out the final rankings after last nights game--With the Alabama win, SEC pulled away as the undisputed best conference. Sagarin actually provides 3 ranking orders, but the 2 that seem to be used the most are the "Simple Average" and the "Central Mean" rankings. Usually there are minor differences in the order between these two, but not much difference at the top of the order. The "Simple Average" is just the average strength of each team in the conference when looking at it as a whole (this is my preferred ranking to watch), and the "Central Mean" gives more weight/points to teams in the middle than the teams at the top or the bottom of a conference.

The final "Simple Average" rankings for this season were:

1. (81.57)--SEC

2. (79.38)--BIG 12

3. (75.58)--PAC 12
    4. (75.05)--BIG 10

5. (72.73)--Independents
    6. (71.92)--ACC
    7. (71.87)--BIG EAST

8. (64.82)--WAC

9. (62.95)--SUN BELT
    10. (62.64)-C-USA
    11. (62.37)-MAC
    12. (61.82)-MWC

I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    SEC in the news. Not sure this is illegal in the SEC is it?

Typical SEC Stuff
  • Options

<< <i>SEC in the news. Not sure this is illegal in the SEC is it?

Typical SEC Stuff >>

Maybe Auburn might have to give back their national championship. The sec has won what 7 championships in a row? You know there is some serious cheating going on.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    It doesn't have to be cheating. A lot of it is common sense. If you are a top prospect and you have the option of playing anywhere in the country, where are you going to play? A certain percentage of these guys are loyal to a local school and will play within a couple hundred miles of home. But, a lot of them aren't. So, if you have the choice of playing November and December games in relatively warm weather, and spending most of your winter in cool, but not harsh weather as opposed to fighting through bitter cold and snow, what are you going to take?

If you notice, the areas that encompass the SEC are also the areas in the country that are the fastest growing in population in general. Cities like Detroit, Cleveland, and Buffalo are stagnant in population. Places like Texas, North Carolina, Florida, and the West are growing at a much faster rate. Wouldn't it make sense that the best talent would also migrate to places like these?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>It doesn't have to be cheating. A lot of it is common sense. If you are a top prospect and you have the option of playing anywhere in the country, where are you going to play? A certain percentage of these guys are loyal to a local school and will play within a couple hundred miles of home. But, a lot of them aren't. So, if you have the choice of playing November and December games in relatively warm weather, and spending most of your winter in cool, but not harsh weather as opposed to fighting through bitter cold and snow, what are you going to take?

If you notice, the areas that encompass the SEC are also the areas in the country that are the fastest growing in population in general. Cities like Detroit, Cleveland, and Buffalo are stagnant in population. Places like Texas, North Carolina, Florida, and the West are growing at a much faster rate. Wouldn't it make sense that the best talent would also migrate to places like these? >>

Not really. The regular season ends in november, before winter. Living in the midwest/northeast doesnt seem to matter to the best college basketball players. Look at the big 10 and big east.
  • Options
    If climate were that important UCLA, U$C, SDSU, etc... would get every single top recruit in every sport. Weather is nearly flawless year round. However, the climate is not the only deciding factor.
  • Options
    only one conference in college football right now.

SEC!!!!!!!!!!!