Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1985 Jordan Prism Sticker/1985 Jordan Nike

Is there anyone out there that is knowledgeable about these two cards? The 1985 Prism seems to be a pretty key card for any MJ collection and was curious it. Does anyone know the history of the card, print run, condition issues, counterfeit problems?

I also like the Nike 1985 card, although that seems rather common.

Comments

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    Watch out for the 1985 Nike. There are probably more reprints than authentic cards out there. The easiest way to tell the difference is to look at the skyline. The original has more skyline than the reprint.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Dizzle and CDsNuts I believe... Imo the MJ prism sticker is the most hideous item he has, and to me the Nike is too much of a post card. CDs is taking on the consignment world so I dont know if he still gives free advice image
  • Options
    Oh the card is hideous for sure. It looks like a picture drawn by a 5 yr old, and an extremely untalented one at that. There is something about its wackness that makes me like it. It has a certain charm. That said it is a really tough card to locate. My MJ collection is focused on the 80's cards and I am running out of cards to track down.
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    The prism card is a sticker that came out of $0.50 vending machines in the mid 80's. I'm sure the print run was high but the majority of them were probably destroyed after kids stuck them to their binders and the inside of their lockers. I remember the stickers being very thin too, so I'm sure they were condition sensitive.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Example

I purchased a few Prism stickers earlier this year of The Road Warriors and they are over sized and have a thin white sticker on the back. I believe centering to be the primary problem with most of the stickers I have seen.

I search frequently for more and mostly the NBA stickers come up.

My understanding is the Jordan was a regional issue but I can not confirm that. The stickers I posted in the thread were available in Orlando where I live in 1985.

I do believe I saw the Jordan sticker at that time as well but basketball was not important to me at the time so I can't confirm with 100% certainty.
  • Options
    I remember these stickers coming out of the vending machines at my local grocery store. 50 cents and 1 sticker came out in a white cardboard sleeve. I don't recall ever seeing the MJ as a kid.

I have only seen one or 2 of them on ebay so was curious as to how available they are and what to look out for. I would ideally want a lower grade. Its sch an oddball card that I wouldn't want to break the bank on it.
  • Options
    AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭

<< <i>I remember these stickers coming out of the vending machines at my local grocery store. 50 cents and 1 sticker came out in a white cardboard sleeve. I don't recall ever seeing the MJ as a kid.

I have only seen one or 2 of them on ebay so was curious as to how available they are and what to look out for. I would ideally want a lower grade. Its sch an oddball card that I wouldn't want to break the bank on it. >>

Mine came from the bowling alley. I can also confirm they came out of a vending machine in a cardboard sleeve. I had the Jordan and Bird. I traded the Jordan around 1989 for something stupid like a pack of 87 Fleer. *sigh* I remember that they were the only modern basketball "cards" I had at the time as I was not able to find Fleer in 86 and had no idea Star existed.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember back in like 2002-2005 some time in there. Some guy come on here and guaranteed that the PSA 10 1985 Nike Jordan would be a 100,000.00 dollar card in the next 10 years. Because it was his true rookie he said. He had one for sale also and I think he wanted 25k for it. The same price the Fleer went for that one time. At on time those were selling for 4-6k each in 10s. But quickly fell. Havent thought about them untill I saw this tread.
    I do like the prism card and think that will hold if not increase in value.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    The picture on the Nike card is Epic. I don't think that the real cards are as easy to come by as the OP indicated. They are fairly tough.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    The Prism Jewel is a great card. The Nike is garbage.
  • Options

<< <i>The Prism Jewel is a great card. The Nike is garbage. >>

What makes the nike garbage? Great image, released very early in his career...seems like a nice card.
  • Options
    There are 46 graded so far of the Prism sticker and 1,563 of the Nike.

I am guessing this has something to do with it.

• Options
    markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    I agree that the Nike card is not worth it's price. I own almost every Jordan card from the 80's except the Interlake, Prism Jewel, and the Nike card. I actually sold a SGC 96 graded copy of it because I didn't really feel it was worth what I sold it for. The Interlake card is interesting but has been counterfieted a lot too according to the Beckett guide. The 3 Star cards and the 1986 Fleer are the cards every Jordan collector should own.
  • Options
    1563 graded overall doesn't seem like a lot.
  • Options
    Probstein is running 7 Jordan's right now in similar condition and graded by PSA and SGC. Six have a near mint grad assigned to them and one has a near mint plus grade.

It seems like this would be a risky move for a seller to offer so many at once.

Anyone have any experience selling a large number of the same card in similar condition at the same time in auction on EBAY?

• Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    I like the prism personally, but it is very ugly and that probably hurts the value. I put it right under the Star cards. Nothing will most likely eclipse the 1986 Fleer, but I think both the prism and star cards have some room. The Nike seem to pop up frequently and I have always worried about even graded copies being forgeries. Just alot of them floating around. I know I have shown this before, but I have only seen one other legit one. Apparently they were limited to a print run of 500 (not verified except from the Jordan collectors book). Most do not have the backing anymore. I have seen one for sale other than mine. I know someone on here has several.

Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I have a few sets of the Nike card. They were given out for free at the Nike outlet store in SE Wisconsin back in the day. I'd guess they're tough to get in high grade, as they were shrink-wrapped pretty tightly. I just came across another set in a box somewhere.

Honestly, if you're a serious Jordan collector, I may have some stuff you'd be interested in. I doubt it's worth much, but it's very cool and likely not very common.

PM me and we can chat.