Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1960 Proof Roosie- Guess the grade! -UPDATE

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
Try as I might, I just couldn't get a pic of the contrast on this coin without picking up every scratch on the plastic-there are no major marks on the coin, except for the spotting. It is graded by our host:

Once I get some responses, I'll post the grade and ask a few questions I have about what to do with it.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    sorry to see the spots on your proof roosie. my complete set of graded proof roosevelts had the same problem, i shipped to pcgs ( took about 4 months ) and they removed most of the spots but not all. i think the coins are dipped ( by the submitter ) before grading and the spots start after they are put in the holders or just before pcgs holders the coin they may blow a brust of contaminated air ( water or oil in air ) over the coin that causes proof coins to have the white spots ? just my opinion ?
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess : 66 dcam
    In my opinion, those spots will not completely come off. They look like the typical milk spots from the late '50's to early 60's. Many of these spots will not budge, but occasionally I have seen some that were removable.

For my money, I'd leave it alone.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Those milk spots look pretty thick...

But the contrast looks nice, so I'll say 65DCAM. I just wouldn't feel comfortable calling it a "superb gem" with that kind of spotting.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    So, the question- can I send this back to PCGS under the grade guarantee?
  • Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    call customer service and see what they say .
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    given the milkspots and the frost breaks I'd pass on a coin like this. ---my initial "guess" was 67Cam.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    69 dcam - wow - just wow....

Those spots look to me like they were on the coin when graded - and didn't show up later.

I'd send it back under the grade guarantee - my experience with PCGS is that they are very fair. Negotiating a settlement is much easier if you have a bill of sale.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Disagree strongly with grade and with DCAM designation.

Eric
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, the question- can I send this back to PCGS under the grade guarantee? >>

Yes but it'll cost you $25 plus possibly the $8.00 handling fee along with to/from shipping.
    If they agree, you'll get your $25 back along with a downgrade and the market difference between what it was and what it now is.
    If they don't agree, you lose the $25 and get your coin back.

My experience with this service has been sketchy.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they don't agree, you lose the $25 and get your coin back.

I think the odds of them not seeing this as a "problem" are pretty slim.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the feedback. I'm going to contact customer service and see what my options are. I'm of the opinion that at least some of the spots were on the coin when it was graded. I look at tons of sets from this era and see a good number of coins with the exact same spots.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first guess is 67 CAM, but because you're asking and I'm assuming with an "Are you kidding me" tone I'll say it's in a 68 DCAM holder.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>69 dcam - wow - just wow....

Those spots look to me like they were on the coin when graded - and didn't show up later. >>

My thoughts exactly...can't believe it got a 69 with those spots...which IMHO were most likely on the coin before it was graded. And I'd also agree that they appear to be of the type that would not come off with a bath.
  • Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Surprised it go the 69DCAM
  • Options
    Spots aside (which should/does preclude 69, 68...) who among us think DCAM is truly warranted? If you bought sight unseen this coin, apart from the spots (as if they could be ignored) who would be pleased with this "DCAM"?

Eric
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send it back. PCGS will treat it fairly.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Don't think it could be sold as a PR69DCAM .

You didn't say if you bought it recently or not, if you just bought it you might return it if it's an option.
    I think whoever sold it should have sent it back under the guarantee instead of selling it.
    If not I'd try sending it in for the guarantee myself.

Ed
  • Options
    Update- I received an email from our hosts today, offering a buyback or downgrade plus difference.

PCGS does indeed stand by their grading, and I applaud them for it and thank them!
  • Options

<< <i>Update- I received an email from our hosts today, offering a buyback or downgrade plus difference.

PCGS does indeed stand by their grading, and I applaud them for it and thank them! >>

How far down did they feel it graded?
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done a similar type of issue with them years ago. A 1968-S PR69DCAM that had spots.
    It took awhile to get an answer back, but they treated me very fairly and I was able to keep the coin (raw) and a check for enough for a replacement.

These types of coins are very negligible hits on their bottom line, but strong opportunities to show customer care.

I believe they will work with you.

Just be fair with them on what you expect/want and they should be fair with you (ie....what did you pay? do you want a replacement or for them to "fix" it, if they can? how much do you expect from them?)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>I've done a similar type of issue with them years ago. A 1968-S PR69DCAM that had spots.
    It took awhile to get an answer back, but they treated me very fairly and I was able to keep the coin (raw) and a check for enough for a replacement.

These types of coins are very negligible hits on their bottom line, but strong opportunities to show customer care.

I believe they will work with you.

Just be fair with them on what you expect/want and they should be fair with you (ie....what did you pay? do you want a replacement or for them to "fix" it, if they can? how much do you expect from them?) >>

They exceeded my expectations.

I'm not sure what my obligations are to them as far as saying what the downgrade/offer was, but the downgrade was expensive (at least to me it was), and I'm very happy with the offer.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it looks like fdr got into a fight, got his nose broke and has a real nice shinner. i no like.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear it worked out for you image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    cmerlo1,

I had a similar spotting develop on proof Roosies after reholdering my coins to put collection name on the holder...sent them back into PCGS and they stood by their guarantees...they were very fair in resolving the issue.

Dave
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file