Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1959 Mantle eBay Listing

It's a shame to see this kind of fraud still occurring in the hobby. Kudos to this eBay seller for candidly disclosing this Mantle as it's going to cost him a good amount of money.

1959 Topps Mantle PSA 9?

Comments

• Options
    Shame on PSA for never creating a better slab, which allows for their own customers to be screwed.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree with the person who asked the question.

Send it in and find out first.

Really is unfortunate that there are so many bad people out there and this looks like a costly lesson.

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Is 89.5 mm top-to-bottom too short?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    The seller sold a PSA 8 1957 Mantle ($2,883) on 11/30 and hasn't received feedback... he sold a PSA 8 1958 Mantle ($2,125) on 12/5 and hasn't received feedback?
  • Options
    I will offer a three day return policy on the card. The card must be returned within three days of receipt, in the same condition that the card was sent, and buyer will pay for return shipping no exceptions.

Does this give him an out with PayPal? Perhaps he can say it did not come back in the condition it was shipped?

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>The seller sold a PSA 8 1957 Mantle ($2,883) on 11/30 and hasn't received feedback... he sold a PSA 8 1958 Mantle ($2,125) on 12/5 and hasn't received feedback? >>

here's the buyer

hasn't left f/b for anyone since Nov 14, but still a busy bee.
  • Options
    That dude is dropping some cash!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The seller sold a PSA 8 1957 Mantle ($2,883) on 11/30 and hasn't received feedback... he sold a PSA 8 1958 Mantle ($2,125) on 12/5 and hasn't received feedback? >>

here's the buyer

hasn't left f/b for anyone since Nov 14, but still a busy bee. >>

He's left feedback as a buyer as late as 12/24. He's left feedback as a buyer 11 times during December?
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I will offer a three day return policy on the card. The card must be returned within three days of receipt, in the same condition that the card was sent, and buyer will pay for return shipping no exceptions.

Does this give him an out with PayPal? Perhaps he can say it did not come back in the condition it was shipped? >>

David, if he really wanted to be dishonest, he would say nothing about the breached seal. The total transaction value isn't going to be close to what he paid. Even winning a dispute over a few hundred bucks isn't going to make him close to whole.

Hopefully everyone here checks the holder and seals carefully on all PSA cards purchased so as to avoid this fate.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

here's the buyer

He's left feedback as a buyer as late as 12/24. He's left feedback as a buyer 11 times during December? >>

he's received f/b as a buyer recently, however, he has not Left Feedback for Otters since Nov 14.

• Options
    I just was responding to what llafoe wrote. I checked the SMR and it is $7,000 and perhaps that is to low.

Sounds like this guy is going to take a bath either way.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

here's the buyer

He's left feedback as a buyer as late as 12/24. He's left feedback as a buyer 11 times during December? >>

he's received f/b as a buyer recently, however, he has not Left Feedback for Otters since Nov 14. >>

Okay, I'm an idiot! image
  • Options
    so i wonder if he'd be able to disclose who the seller of the '59 was to him. would he *remember*?
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is 89.5 mm top-to-bottom too short? >>

Converted to inches, it's 3.52" by 2.52".
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I just was responding to what llafoe wrote. I checked the SMR and it is $7,000 and perhaps that is to low. >>

VCP = Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 9 - Average Price: $6,578.05
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I don't understand what the issue is, could someone help?
  • Options

<< <i>so i wonder if he'd be able to disclose who the seller of the '59 was to him. would he *remember*? >>

I'll disclose it: According to VCP Sale in Jan 2011

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I don't understand how he can state that the card might not be a PSA 9, but he guarantees it is authentic. If someone went to the trouble of cracking out a PSA 9 card, I doubt very seriously the card inside is authentic. I have seen some 1959 Topps Mantle reprints - they look DARN GOOD and are very comparable to the real deal.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't understand how he can state that the card might not be a PSA 9, but he guarantees it is authentic. If someone went to the trouble of cracking out a PSA 9 card, I doubt very seriously the card inside is authentic. I have seen some 1959 Topps Mantle reprints - they look DARN GOOD and are very comparable to the real deal. >>

Bobby,

VCP 1959 Mantle Authentic= $57.29
    VCP 1959 Mantle PSA 9=$6,578 (he paid $6,746 for the card on 1/3/11)

That's a pretty easy "guarantee," no? If not, you can return within 3 days. Get that snipe and PP not as described ready!

• Options
    Selling a card at this percentage of a loss is stupid.

If you just want it out of your collection give it to a friend but don't sell it at a 90% loss.

This is like selling an option that has lost most of its value. You have so little left there is no reason to throw in the towel at that point.

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    It is also dangerous to release this compromised/fake slab back into the hobby. The potential buyer most likely isn't buying this to keep in their collection. They're buying it to resell as a legit PSA 9, most likely.

• Options
    As I remember right his 57 and 58 Mantle he sold were not up to the quality of a PSA 8 card. I would stay far away from this one
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Slabbed,
    I think you're on to something. The whole thing stinks. He just notices the slab this long after?????
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>Selling a card at this percentage of a loss is stupid.

If you just want it out of your collection give it to a friend but don't sell it at a 90% loss.

This is like selling an option that has lost most of its value. You have so little left there is no reason to throw in the towel at that point. >>

If I would have paid almost $7000 for this card, I would have sent it back to PSA to try and get reholdered. If they fix it great, if not then I would know for sure that I got screwed.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation