Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Any chance this is a proof 1930 florin?

I bought this the other day - The coin is very high relief - the obv. has an odd "shine" like that of early proof US coinage.

The rev. is totally toned in a way that looks like it was in a display box (like the 1950's-1960s south african proof sets - the rev. always get toned from the "velvet")

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    Don't think so.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Although the head is very nicely struck, my first impression is that it is not a proof. Take a look at the milled edge and see if the teeth are sharp and straight - that might be a good clue. Also, the finish should be mirror-like. It could well have been in a velvet box for a long time, but I would expect the finish to be even darker than shown if it was a proof.

Here is a picture of a 1927 proof florin (same obverse and reverse) for comparison. Unfortunately I took the picture of it being housed in an Airtite, where it still resides, so the edges aren't visible - and I can't get at it in short order.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    The edge has very straight reeding.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey shouldnt that be in the bag of stuff your mailing me? Haha just kidding, looks like a very nice struck piece.
  • Options
    not if I paid more than melt for it(:
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to break the news, but no definately not. I am only aware of one proof 1930 florin in private hands. That would have been a real find. I know this series well....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Besides the fact there are only a few out there, why do you say that it is def. not a proof?