Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My New Project

I have a good start on my "Combo Player" Collection in PSA. I have about 40 cards of the maybe 65 that I want. I just got my display cabinet up and put a few in place. I will have to take them out of the graded card bags before I am finished. As better /hiugher grades are available, I will upgrade to the PSA 7-8 goal that I have set. What do you guys think?

CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
To be honest, no direction, but...
1966-69 Topps EX+
1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
All Topps Heritage-Master Sets

Comments

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Great display. Combo player cards is an unique idea.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    They look great. how about a better pic of the cabinet.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Great idea ... have never seen that type of collection before. Good luck and enjoy. I agree ... a better picture would be nice to see.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    i would take them out of the plastic wrappers. they are already in a case within a case.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Nice collection. I've always really liked combo cards, especially those with multiple HOFers. I started the same collection at one point but had to give it up as I had too many other interests and too little cash. Good luck!

Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Nice idea for a collection. Good luck with your project.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome theme! Very nice.
    Daniel
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, ya, sorry the pict wasn't so good. The display is from sfdisplay.com. They are a little pricer than others but the construction is solid and the double boxing along with lots of protection for shipping is superb. Thanks again...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    What is your year spread?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I think the first year of Topps combo cards was 1958. They seemd to ramp up quickly into the mid 60's and then stopped in 1965 (not counting World Series Cards). Topps started back up in 1966 and continued again until 1969. That's where I have left off. If you notice my photo, there are no 61 or 62 cards. I think there are 1 or 2 61's I want and several 62's, but 52 is a tough year with the woodgrain. I haven't been able to locate centered, nice looking cards without dishing out quite a bit of cash.
    I am not sure what Topps did after the 50-60 era. I know some years had a few combos in the 70's and 80's. I will continue into those decades once I get the 50-60's done. I am mostly collecting HOFer's so there are quite a few I am passing on. Thanks ffor your interest. Happy New Year!
    1966-69 Topps EX+
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    1954 Topps had the Obrien (I think?) brothers combo card. Obviously not HOFers but still cool considering it was their first multi-player card.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    I think this is a fantastic idea! You can pick up some of the greats of the game in classic poses at a reasonable price. I notice you are missing a couple of my favorites, the 1963 Dodgers' Big Three with Koufax, Drysdale & Podres and the 1961 Dodgers Southpaws with Koufax & Podres. Also the 1957 Dodger Sluggers with Snider, Campy, Hodges & Furillo. I love the 1958 Power & Boss, a great photo.

Looks great, stay at it & post some more pictures in the future.image
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. Really cool idea. Also there is a 57 Mantle/Berra combo that is a really great card that you may want to add to your list.

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    Don't forget the 1985 Fleer Al Holland / Lee Tunnell combo.

Seriously, neat idea for a collection, thanks for posting.

Collecting Matt Alexander, Manny Sanguillen, and Rennie Stennett - pm me with your oddball items for sale or trade!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    bud black/vida blue fleer card!

53 Bowman buaer, berra, mantle is a classic!
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Pete and Re-Pete, not my favorite. Love the idea for your collection, good luck with it.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I love the combo cards and they're usually pretty affordable. Nice collection!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice theme

Other registries have this type of card: bronx bombers ect.

Some like to collect father/son brothers (topps had a subset of these in a 1970's year 1973?

unfortunately mantle/berra is last card in set in yr 1957 and kinda $$$$
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worst year for combos has to be 1966. Except for Stargell, I don't know if there is another HOF in the bunch.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Worst year for combos has to be 1966. Except for Stargell, I don't know if there is another HOF in the bunch. >>

The Stargell/Clendenon card is actually the only combo card in the set.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1957 Has the mantle Berra is a nice one. Is that on your list?
    Also the 1953 Bowman Hank Bauer with mantle and berra?