Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

26 WWII era coins for sale

--HERE ONLY--

For sale is a mixed lot of 26 world coins, dates ranging roughly to WWII era (1937-45), except for the 1894 threepence. What's it all worth? I don't really know, I'll ask $40 shipped until someone points to a different value. Make an offer if interested, I really don't have a clue what these are worth except for what I remember paying for a few of them. Some silver, aluminum, zinc, etc. All grades were made by various dealers, not me. All coins are circulated to various extents, nothing really special that I noticed.
(Sold the Belgian 2 francs, French 2 franc, German 2 reichsmark and two Japanese coins) 26 left!
PayPal or check ok, returns always accepted. PM for better pics or individual descriptions, thanks!

Please check my Ebay listings, too!

Comments

• Options
    updated 01/02/13
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The restrike UFO is really neat! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's some super eye-appealing stuff there. Really stunning.

I pledge to make at least one purchase, though I am not yet sure what it will be.

I'm sorry to see you breaking up such a beautiful collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    There's some super eye-appealing stuff there. Really stunning.

I pledge to make at least one purchase, though I am not yet sure what it will be.

I'm sorry to see you breaking up such a beautiful collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>The restrike UFO is really neat! image >>

Thanks! I'll bet you won't find another like it. And it's still available. image

And thanks Rob, I hate to do it (break it up) but we all have had to do this probably a time or two. You know, things come up that become more important than a collection. I'm not leaving, just stepping back for a short time... I hope. image
  • Options
    Glad to hear it. My own collection has burnt down and grown back more times than I can count.

Periodic brush fires are good for the forest sometimes, though, right? They're sometimes tragic and terrifying, but it's all part of that big cycle. Or that cosmic "Wheel In The Sky".

(Say, how do you like the allusion to your UFO jeton I stuck in there?) image

Speaking of that one, when you say it is a "contemporary" restrike ... contemporary to what? The mid 17th century? You say it is a restrike of 1654 jeton but it is dated 1656. Was that the actual date of striking? Certainly would be contemporary to 1654 if it was, and that would make it in AMAZING condition for its age! Or did you mean "contemporary", as in "recent", i.e., more modern? Regardless, it is a cool piece, and has long been a design that intrigued me, and many others. Tell us more about "refrappe" jetons in general, if you have the time, and more about that piece for sure.

• Options
    From my website, a little info on refrappes -

It is important to remember that there are cases where jetons have been restruck at later dates. This doesn't mean that they were counterfeits, but rather strikes that were made at later dates than the die was produced. Usually the same dies were reused when striking these examples, but there are still ways to tell if you have a restrike. The later planchets used for restriking tend to be much thicker, and the general "look" of the jeton will be suspect. Also, because of the different planchet sizes, the edges don't always line up as an original strike should.

The restrikes would be hard to pin down a solid date to since most are copper/bronze and have the "reeded" edge, so there would be no way to punch a edgemark on them like they did with silver and medals through the 1800's. I'd guess early to mid 1800's on that one, but it sure looks like the original dies were used (or at least the reverse design looks the same). Plus, this is the only UFO restrike I've ever seen, even less than the total of two original UFO designs I've seen.

And did I type in the wrong date again?!? I need to go check that out....

*edited due to constant typos.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. So that UFO, despite being a bit more "modern" than its date would indicate, is still in fact more than a century old, eh?

It's in pretty amazing condition. But seeing a copper or bronze medal like that from the 17th century with full, unmellowed mint red would have stretched credulity a bit.

• Options
    Still many left, reduced some prices. If there is anything you like, make an offer. Everything must go!!
  • Options
    oakcoinoakcoin Posts: 187 ✭✭
    PM sent, thanks for the other stuff!