Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Set Storage Question

Hi All,

I recently had the opportunity to pick up a big lot of commons/minor stars from the 1970, 1972, and 1973 Topps baseball sets in EX/MT to NM condition and am now seriously thinking about building these sets raw (which I'm rather excited about because this would be the first time building a set for me since I was a kid). I'm thinking I'm going to build the set using pages so that I can more easily flip through the sets for viewing.

I've looked at dacardworld.com, sportscardsuppliers.com, and bcwsupplies.com. and have seen BCW Premium, Ultra Pro Platinum, and Ultra Pro Silver pages. My question is two-fold:

1. Are any of these page brands better than the other?
2. Which supply vendor do you typically go through?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
Aaron

Comments

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    this probably doesn't help but I've purchased in the past from Cardboard Gold and haven't had any problems....al. \

PS. I think it's all personal preference on how you store your cards....I have some sets in boxes, including 5000 count boxes that hold multiple sets and some in sheets in binders....
  • Options
    I've never seen a definitive answer on "what's the right way" to store sets.

I have sets in binders and boxes.

Boxes obviously take up less room and are much cheaper. Binders are nice because you can organize them on a shelf, which presents a bit nicer, and it's easier to go through the set and look at the cards in pages. A downside to binders is that you can't really look at each card individually (its hard to turn the binder page over and look at the back of the card as easily as if you were just holding it in your hand in a sleeve or top loader).

Some people claim, long term, binders are bad because the pages will inevitable begin to fold under their own weight. Others says as long as the binders are tight on the shelf, the pages will hold up.

Binders are useful because you can see the open spaces of what cards you need as you're building a set.

• Options
    AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    I have no experience with the BCW Premium pages but I much prefer the Ultra Pro Platinum over the Silver. The Platinum are slightly thicker and heavier stock and just seem to be made better. I believe there is a slight cost premium to the Platinum though.

Shipping cost are big factor when buying supplies online since they are big and bulky. Thus they are one of the few things I try to buy from my local card shop when I can, since when you factor in shipping its something that he can actually compete with online costs. Another thing I do is, if I am already buying wax from an online vendor like dacardworld or blowout, I will add in some supplies since the shipping is already free at that point. Other than that, they are all the same since they are just reselling Ultra Pro products. Be sure to check ebay also as sometimes you can find another collector who just bought too much for his own collection and is blowing out the rest.
  • Options
    I use Ultra Pro Platinum. If I am buying them online I usually just search eBay for the best shipped price.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Thank you all.

Aric, that's exactly what I needed to know about the pages.

I remember the page bending issue when I was a kid. I used to have binders on a shelf that weren't very tight, so the front of the binders would end up shifting and creating the bend. I think what I will do is to lay them flat on the shelf, instead of standing them up.

Happy New Year!
    Aaron
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I've seen pros and cons for placing binders flat....something I've always done...but some folks prefer having them stand upright.....again I think it's all personal preference...
  • Options
    cardfan07cardfan07 Posts: 680 ✭✭
    All my binders lay flat. I would be worried about the outer pages sagging and then having those cards get damaged. I guess if you stood the binders up and they were tight up against each other you could minimize that.
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector