Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Post cereal Mantle/Maris

Ok, I just got this and am wondering if I should 1)keep these intact, 2)separate them at the perforation or 3)cut each card just outside the black boarder.
I guess I'm trying to learn which would be best to retain the most value.
If I decide to have it graded will that have any bearing on which of the three I choose?

Since there is some discoloration to left side of the Mantle card I would be fearful that it would decrease the value of the Maris card if left connected.
Any ideas?

What would be the best way to trim the cards? A mat cutter?
Thanks!

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t306/BruceinGa/postmm2_zps3dacc3ac.jpg?t=1356981720[/L]
[http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t306/BruceinGa/postrm2_zpsb26bea7f.jpg?t=1356981726[/L]

Comments

• Finally got them posted!!

• cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    You have discoloration, edge tears , and multiple wrinkles / creases across the edge of the Mantle card. You can (1) grade the whole panel, (2) Mantle or the Maris cards without cutting them - called "perforated" version or (3) hand cut either card outside the lines. You are looking at PSA 2-4 either way you do it with that example - which is lower grade. May not be worth the $ to grade.
    Here are some of mine which are very clean cards- self subs.
    Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.

• << <i>You have discoloration, edge tears , and multiple wrinkles / creases across the edge of the Mantle card. You can (1) grade the whole panel, (2) Mantle or the Maris cards without cutting them - called "perforated" version or (3) hand cut either card outside the lines. You are looking at PSA 2-4 either way you do it with that example - which is lower grade. May not be worth the $ to grade.
    Here are some of mine which are very clean cards- self subs.

Great looking cards.
    In your opinion do you think your 8 would be a 9 if you trimmed it?

I agree that the Mantle has issues, that's why I would like to separate it from the Maris. The Maris has issues also.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    I recall a few years back, a member (who thankfully no longer posts) here had sold this complete Life Magazine issue on eBay and when he learned that the buyer intended on cutting the cards out and having them slabbed, questioned here whether or not he should complete the transaction since the buyer was "destroying history."

I kid you not.....

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.