Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Top 10 Most Memorable Indiana Sports Acheivements

This one is a toughie for me (in no particular order)...

Notre Dame Four Horsemen
Bobby Knight throwing a chair
1954 Milan High School Basketball
Notre Dame Heisman winners (the Notre Dame tunnel)
Purdue Quarterbacks (Brees, Dawson & Griese)
2006 Indianapolis Colts Superbowl
Reggie Miller vs. New York Knicks
1970s ABA Indiana Pacers
1978 Wayne Gretzky Indianapolis Ice
1952 Hank Aaron Indianapolis Clowns
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    Larry Bird/Indiana State NCAA Finals
    Jackson 5

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Danica Patrick's top 3 finish at the Indy 500.
  • 1976 Indiana Hoosiers undefeated national champions
    Collecting Matt Alexander, Manny Sanguillen, and Rennie Stennett - pm me with your oddball items for sale or trade!
  • Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    The Colts Superbowl win was my most memorable sports moment growing up and living in Indiana my whole life.
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭
    Culver Academy dominating the state hockey tourney over the last 12-13 years - winning state in 1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2007,& 2008 while putting 5 players into the NHL (among them Ryan Suter, J.M. Liles & Blake Geoffrion) over that span from a school whose enrollment is usually under 800 students.

• lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭
    Don Larsen (B-Michigan City, IN) 1956 World Series Perfect Game & 1956 World Series MVP
  • AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    I recently saw that ESPN special about Reggie Miller versus the Knicks--it was quite an entertaining story.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • 1924 Four Horsemen Game

Go Army, Beat Navy!
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Culver Academy dominating the state hockey tourney over the last 12-13 years - winning state in 1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2007,& 2008 while putting 5 players into the NHL (among them Ryan Suter, J.M. Liles & Blake Geoffrion) over that span from a school whose enrollment is usually under 800 students. >>

While I am not a huge fan of academy's, we have one in VA, Oak Hill Academy that must have had around 20 NBA players, many still in the league, that is way cool to have 5 NHL players in a 12 - 13 year span.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭
    What, no Jeff Gordon winning the first Brickyard 400?
  • Great topic and list...

Most not top 10, but others that come to mind for consideration include:

Butler's consecutive runs to the NCAA basketball championship game,

Oscar Robertson's 1955 Crispus Attucks team becoming the first all-black school in the nation to win a state championship. (By the way, they lost in the state tourney in 1954 to eventual state champ Milan, of "Hoosiers" fame as was noted in the original post)

Numerous Indy 500 races and events (AJ Foyt and Al Unser both winning four times, Al Jr. beating Scott Goodyear by like 4 one-hundreths of a second in the early '90s, Helio's three wins, that horrible, horrible early '70s crash involving Salt Walther; Patrick Bedard's horrific 1984 crash where his car flipped end over end over end over end till nothing was left but the tub he was seated in (he broke every bone in his body but came away with life left to live)

George McGinnis' unbeaten, state champion 1969 Washington High School team

Purdue's John Wooden's playing and coaching achievements

Purdue's Rick Mount, Billy Keller and Herm Gilliams losing to Alcindor's 1969 UCLA team in the NCAA championship game

Purdue's Leroy Keyes finishing second in 1968 Heisman balloting to O.J. Simpson

• AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    Not top 10, but worth a mention would be the Indianapolis Indians dominant run in the late eighties. Four straight league championships while putting forth players such as Randy Johnson, Andres Gallaraga, Delino Deshields and Larry Walker.