Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Curling Topps Cards (Early 80s, Late 70s)

Surprisingly, I can't find much discussion in my searches here on this effect.

What causes old Topps cards to curl when they're stored in 800-ct boxes on a shelf? I have a box of '83 cards that are seemingly straight, while a box of '82 cards are curved.

Does it have to do with humidity? Heat? Anything we can control? Does the effect lessen with penny sleeves?

Comments

• Options
    I thought there is a natural curve to the cards after they get cut from the sheets. Like the card stock recoils. But I would imagine this is more with cardboard stock than the white stock used after 1991. But I suppose some straightening out does happen. I dont know if penny sleeves are the answer either. I am just making an educated guess. I am sure others know better.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I remember opening packs of cards in the 1970s and they were "curled" when I opened the packs so it must have something to do with they paper, manufacturing process, packing process, etc.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    I believe the card stock came in large rolls so the original stock was curled even before the printing process began - think of the large newspaper type presses - thicker paper has better memory.
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe the card stock came in large rolls so the original stock was curled even before the printing process began - think of the large newspaper type presses - thicker paper has better memory. >>

So that would mean that the outer part of the roll would have less curl than the inner part. Right???

Shane

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I thought this thread was going to be about the sport curling, I bet Nightcrawler was also dissapointed.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    I was heavily disappointed
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    The curling is caused by low humidity. What's happening is the cardboard box loses moisture to the drier air. In turn, the card edges in contact with the box lose moisture to the box and so on. The card edges lose more moisture than the card centers, hence the curling of the card. I've noticed the problem especially in the winter when the air is drier. The obvious solution if you want to continue using cardboard boxes for storage is to humidfy the storage area. Or, in the spring/summer, pull the cards out of storage, and keep the box open to the room for a few weeks. In extreme cases, I've pulled cards out of the box, and stacked them for a few weeks when the household air is not so dry (i.e., late spring/summer). Once they lose the curl, put them in penny sleeves before returning them to the box. Putting a curled card in a penny sleeve or binder pages won't remove the curl, because there is no way for the edges to acquire moisture if in the sleeve/binder page.
  • Options
    Interesting idea about the low humidity. The cards in my case are stored on a shelf in the basement, where the humidity is probably very high in the summer (requires use of a dehumidifier) and then comes down to normal, if not a bit dry, levels in the winter.

Is it safe to assume the cards lose the curl in the warmer months, or does that curl stay permanently?
  • Options
    In my experiience, in most intances, the curl has gone away. In extreme cases, I've had to take them out the box and stack them in higher humidity to lose the curl.

Incidentally, I collect mid to late 70's cards mainly. The ones I've had the most problem with curling are 76 and 78 baseball. Must be something about the card stock that makes them prone to curling.
  • Options
    where the humidity is probably very high in the summer (requires use of a dehumidifier) and then comes down to normal, if not a bit dry, levels in the winter

I'm with you. The wide extremes probably exacerbates the problem.
  • Options
    AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    I disagree that the curling is relative to humidity, especially considering you have two boxes under the same conditions with only one exhibiting the effect. I think it has more to do with the paper used to print your particular sampling of 82's. Interestingly enough this effect was not eliminated with the use of modern card stock. 2010 Topps Chrome Football for whatever reason was well known to have a curling problem, straight out of the pack.
  • Options
    2010 Chrome Baseball had the same problem as well.

Good point. I have several boxes. Some of the boxes are unaffected, others are. Unless, Topps used very different card stock from year to year, and some years are affected by humidity and some aren't.

• Options
    Do an internet search of the terms "paper curling" and "humidity."
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I have always thought that humidity did play a role, (besides other possibilities)
    when I had my store and was building sets the stacks left overnight on the table
    would be found the next day to have curled. This only happened in the winter time
    if I recall and I thought at the time it was because of the steam heat the building used.

Good for you.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>The obvious solution... >>

is PSA slabs! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards