Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who are the most famous sports stars who played during the 1970s?

My quick quesses for the Top 10 Sports in America...

Baseball - Hank Aaron
Basketball - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Boxing - Muhammad Ali
Football - Walter Payton
Golf - Jack Nicklaus
Hockey - Wayne Gretzky
Martial Arts - Bruce Lee
Motorsports - A.J. Foyt
Pro Wrestling - Dick the Bruiser
Soccer - Pele
Tennis - Billy Jean King
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Wow, hard to argue with the starting list provided, in fact I'll leave it as is.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see Dick The Bruiser on your list.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    Walter Payton really didn't become real famous until the 1980's....For the 1970's I would say O.J. Simpson for football

Don't forget about Evil Kneival too

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Hockey - I'd think someone like Bobby Hull or Bobby Orr, Gretsky is more of an 80's icon.

Wrestling, I'd go with Samartino or Kolloff.

Football- OJ?

The rest seem good.

JMHO

Good for you.
  • Options
    Joe Namath
    Terry Bradshaw
    Jimmy Connors
    Chris evert
    Julius Erving
    Reggie Jackson
  • Options
    yeah for hockey either bobby orr guy lafleur bobby clarke etc
  • Options
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Walter Payton really didn't become real famous until the 1980's....For the 1970's I would say O.J. Simpson for football

Don't forget about Evil Kneival too

IMF >>

Payton broke Simpson's single game rushing record in 1977... and he didn't own a white Bronco. image

Daredevil wasn't listed as one of the Top 10 sports in the 1970s. image
  • Options
    Andre The Giant was the biggest draw in the 1970's in wrestling and was the highest paid athlete for a time in the world.

• Options

<< <i>Nice to see Dick The Bruiser on your list.

image >>

William Afflis was a family friend of my father's older brothers... had to add him to my list. image
  • Options
    Can't argue with Gretzky, but for the whole of the decade would someone like Guy Lafleur be a better fit?

Agree with BJK for tennis. Who would be the men's counterpart?

Earl Anthony is my bowling pick and Peggy Fleming gets my pick for figure skating..er, I mean finger painting.
  • Options

<< <i>Andre The Giant was the biggest draw in the 1970's in wrestling and was the highest paid athlete for a time in the world. >>

But thats not a sport.
  • Options

<< <i>Andre The Giant was the biggest draw in the 1970's in wrestling and was the highest paid athlete for a time in the world. >>

Met Andre the Frenchman a few times... I was probably 11 or 12, 5' 6" and 60 pounds when I last met him... he was HUGH! image

I really miss the 1970s... I met sooooo many musicians, sports stars, politicians, etc... when they had NO security, didn't charge for autographs and actually spoke with you like another person and not a potential source of income!
  • Options

<< <i>

>>

I realize her gig with Bobby Riggs was huge but Chris Evert was more popular than her throughout the 70's. Tv ratings were higher when she played.
  • Options
    Cant say too much about other sports but for baseball - Reggie Jackson HANDS DOWN.
  • Options

<< <i>Cant say too much about other sports but for baseball - Reggie Jackson HANDS DOWN. >>

I grew up on Johnny Bench and Pete Rose... but Hank Aaron was my HERO (so much so that we travelled to Atlanta in April, 1974, to watch him set some type of record - a date easy to remember since he broke the record on my girlfriend's 10th birthday). image Reggie Jackson just didn't carry a lot of weight for me when I was growing up. Maybe it was because he played for the A's?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

I realize her gig with Bobby Riggs was huge but Chris Evert was more popular than her throughout the 70's. Tv ratings were higher when she played. >>

She was definitely more attractive than BJK!
  • Options

Here is the true photo used for Andre's Wrestling All Stars card.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I admire Hank Aaron I would put Pete Rose ahead of him in the 1970s. Not the 1960s but the 1970s. I would put Hank ahead for total career.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>I realize her gig with Bobby Riggs was huge but Chris Evert was more popular than her throughout the 70's. Tv ratings were higher when she played. >>

It was great when she flipped over that table on Jim Rome's show.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I realize her gig with Bobby Riggs was huge but Chris Evert was more popular than her throughout the 70's. Tv ratings were higher when she played. >>

It was great when she flipped over that table on Jim Rome's show. >>

I don't know how many people will get this but I found it hilarious.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

I realize her gig with Bobby Riggs was huge but Chris Evert was more popular than her throughout the 70's. Tv ratings were higher when she played. >>

She was definitely more attractive than BJK! >>

And she was #1 in the World. She has the highest winning percentage in history. Male or female.
  • Options

<< <i>

It was great when she flipped over that table on Jim Rome's show. >>

Haha never forget it. The Rams QB.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    I would change baseball to Reggie and basketball to Dr.j.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

And she was #1 in the World. She has the highest winning percentage in history. Male or female. >>

Regretfully, it doesn't make her the most famous... maybe the best, just not the most famous.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Julius Erving
    Andre the Giant
    O.J. Simpson......without a doubt in the 70's
    Reggie Jackson...honorable mention to Aaron; but played a little over half the decade
    Bobby Orr....Gretzky played like 2 years in the 70's
    Jack Nicklaus
    Muhammad Ali
    John Holmes.....I would guess you could say he played sports
  • Options
    Yes John Holmes played sports.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

And she was #1 in the World. She has the highest winning percentage in history. Male or female. >>

Regretfully, it doesn't make her the most famous... maybe the best, just not the most famous. >>

She was clearly the most famous. She was popular all over the World.
  • Options

<< <i>As much as I admire Hank Aaron I would put Pete Rose ahead of him in the 1970s. >>

Agreed. Rose is my 2nd pick after Jackson.

• Options
    Here's ESPNs list for players who played during the 1970s:

Baseball - Willie Mays
    Basketball - Wilt Chamberlain
    Boxing - Muhammad Ali
    Football - Joe Montana
    Golf - Jack Nicklaus
    Hockey - Wayne Gretzky
    Martial Arts - none listed
    Motorsports - A.J. Foyt
    Pro Wrestling - none listed
    Soccer - none listed
    Tennis - Martina Navratilova
  • Options
    Here's who I remember the most from the 1970s:

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have to go with the following:

Football - Joe Namath
    Basketball - Wilt Chamberlain
    Hockey - Gordie Howe
    Wrestling - Andre the Giant

I agree with the others on your list.

Steve
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Here's who I remember the most from the 1970s: >>

I still have a $2.00 win ticket on him from the Belmont Stakes. (Unfortunately it is from an OTB and not the track.)

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see ESPN is out of touch with the 70's. Montana, Mays, Gretzky...........Wilt played like 3 seasons. Even Namath played half the decade and was hurt all the time. Why not put Rickey Henderson in for 70's too. He played like 100 games and he's famous. I would think it's famous and were good players at the time?????????

Big Red is on the list. The horse that was the greatest ever.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I still have a $2.00 win ticket on him from the Belmont Stakes. (Unfortunately it is from an OTB and not the track.)

image >>

Boy, you really went out on a limb there with that wager, didn't ya, Doug?? LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Cokin75Cokin75 Posts: 243 ✭✭
    Based on fame/exposure, I'd go with the following:

Baseball- Reggie Jackson
    Football- OJ Simpson
    Basketball- Julius Erving
    Hockey: Bobby Orr
    Golf: Jack Nicklaus
    Tennis: Borg/Evert
    Boxing: Ali
    Wrestling: Bruno Sammartino
    Olympics, Etc.: Bruce Jenner
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Boy, you really went out on a limb there with that wager, didn't ya, Doug?? LOL! >>

Dude ... that was 40 years ago and I was 15 yrs old! AND, it was bought to save as a souvenier, as BIG RED paid $2.20 to win! image
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Boy, you really went out on a limb there with that wager, didn't ya, Doug?? LOL! >>

Dude ... that was 40 years ago and I was 15 yrs old! AND, it was bought to save as a souvenier, as BIG RED paid $2.20 to win! image >>

Do you still those two thin dimes profit? Now, THAT would have been a souvenier package! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    I'd say the OP's list and Cokin75's list were pretty good choices.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.