Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need source for 1964 Kennedy doubled and triple die varieties

I tried Search and kept getting "error 100" messages, so I figured I'd throw it out. I have dozens of varieties of these and Cherrypickers is of limited value. Is there anything - online would be good - that could highlight the nuances of the IGWT pickup points. These coins all came from bank rolls but have varying degrees of strike clarity, which complicates my IDs.
"If someone says 'A penny for your thoughts' and you give them your 2 cents worth, what happens to the extra penny?" G.Carlin

Comments

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope this helps.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    try a different browser?

also which search did you try.

the link at the top of main US coin forum page or did you click the search button on the upper right?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not online to my knowledge, but the book "Treasure Hunting Franklin and Kennedy Half Dollar Doubled Dies" by Flynn and Wexler lists one 1964 DDO and 12 1964-D DDO's. All with a number of photos.

Sounds like you could use this book. Available on Amazon for $28 - Here

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    To add,
    Type2's example looks like FS-13.5 (also described as DDO #3 in the book)
    while DHeath's looks like an FS-13.6 (also described as DDO #5 in the book)

Those are the only two that are tripled - the rest of the examples are doubled.

With so many doubled dies, there may be new ones to discover.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

• Options
    Have you tried this link?

http://www.franklinlover.yolasite.com/
    Member; ANA, CONECA, CFCC, Fly-in-Club, FUN, NLG.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Even though they are out of print, try locating "The Kennedy Half Dollar Book, An attribution and Pricing Guide" by James Wiles of CONECA. Every now and then one shows up on eBay.

Better yet, shoot James an eMail through the CONECA site and ask him when he's going to update that book and get a new one printed? I'd buy it.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    All a help and thanks. I assume Type2's macro variety is a TDO, and can I assume that Cameonut means TDO, not DDO?. I used the search button on upper right (between profile and chat). Sometimes my Mac is an issue but Safari is not. Will follow up on the books and links, and like Type2's example I have many that show a triple on one or two letters, and what seems to be doubling on the others. DHeath's example is clearly (to me) a TDO, but again, I have some that are not so clearly one or the other, and seem to be a mix. Can anyone tell me if I send these in to be slabbed (PCGS) and I leave the variety blank, or I get it wrong, whether they will set me straight? I'm looking down the road to sell some of these, as I seem to have dups, but I don't want to mis-attribute these varieties, either to a buyer or to PCGS. I may have to post some of my stuff, but all are at the bank, and I'm not 100% confident I can get what I need to show given my photo skills. And thanks again.
    "If someone says 'A penny for your thoughts' and you give them your 2 cents worth, what happens to the extra penny?" G.Carlin
  • Options
    Sorry for not being clear.

Both examples posted are Tripled Die Obverses - but the book still lists them as DDO's along with all the others. The descriptions in the book clearly mention tripling. I think this is more a result of the numbering system that was used (DDO 1, DDO 2, DDO 3, etc. ) instead of trying to describe doubling, tripling, or quadrupling....

• Options
    Ah, so the "Treasure Hunting ..." book you have linked to on Amazon has a classification system outside the FS numbering system, and they are all classed as DDO(#) but 2 are TDO, but these TDO are not numbered as triples? I can manage a book from Amazon but you have caused me to consider a number of probably irrelevant questions, such as which system would I use to describe varieties I would submit for slabbing? Maybe the book sheds some light.
  • Options
    I have a few photos in the showcase set linked below image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ah, so the "Treasure Hunting ..." book you have linked to on Amazon has a classification system outside the FS numbering system, and they are all classed as DDO(#) but 2 are TDO, but these TDO are not numbered as triples? I can manage a book from Amazon but you have caused me to consider a number of probably irrelevant questions, such as which system would I use to describe varieties I would submit for slabbing? Maybe the book sheds some light. >>

It really depends upon WHO you submit them too.

PCGS simply requires the CPG assigned number while ANACS would only require the number from whatever book you purchase. BTW, ANACS does have a submission option in addition to the standard grading fee ($10 OR $14) where they do all the work ($10) or you do all the work ($5) and they simply agree with you.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file