Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Can someone explain how "Box Breaks" Work?

I see them on Youtube, hear about them on Twitter and this forum - how do they work, are they legit, and are they worth it??
Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    You can conduct your own "box breaks". image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • You paypal some dude $50, then he sends you the 3 common Mariners that were pulled from the box. It's pretty awesome, you should definitely do it.
  • From what I've heard, it goes something like this:

1. Collect money.
    2. Buy unopened box of cards.
    3. Open packs, on video.
    4. If big $$$ card is pulled, stop videotaping, erase video, sell big $$$ on ebay, and go back to step 2.
    5. Send cards to the suckers, uh, people.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>From what I've heard, it goes something like this:

1. Collect money.
    3. Open packs, on video.
    4. If big $$$ card is pulled, stop videotaping, erase video, sell big $$$ on ebay, and go back to step 2.
    5. Send cards to the suckers, uh, people. >>

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I see them on Youtube, hear about them on Twitter and this forum - how do they work, are they legit, and are they worth it?? >>

I have had good luck in some of the box breaks I have been in. Its really like gambling basically and alot of times your gonna lose. I did good in an Absolute Football break last week since I ended up with the Browns and got three nice cards. The break was $14 for two teams that were randomed on Random.org. I also had the Steelers but they didnt hit anything. It really depends on the product. I join a break every great once in a while just for the heck of it and try to keep my expectations low.

The Football break I was in was on dailyboxbreaks.com I have also been in a break with teamboxbreak as well. I have been in a couple on Houdini's house of cards but never had much luck even though some nice cards were hit in the breaks I was in.

I know a lot of the guys here dont like them and I understand why, but it is not quite as bad as some would make it out to be.
  • jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>From what I've heard, it goes something like this:

1. Collect money.
    3. Open packs, on video.
    5. Send cards to the suckers, uh, people. >>

image >>

Forgot to add:
    6. Charge each one of the teams (suckers) $4-$6 for shipping
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Based on the responses so far, I see that the consensus is that they are not something a lot of the board members here participate in. Is this based on first hand experience or second hand news? If you watch the Youtube videos (and there are tons of them), it sure looks like some people get nice cards.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Based on the responses so far, I see that the consensus is that they are not something a lot of the board members here participate in. Is this based on first hand experience or second hand news? If you watch the Youtube videos (and there are tons of them), it sure looks like some people get nice cards. >>

You have the same odds yourself as you do with someone else doing the box break... AND you get to open the pack(s)... AND you get the card(s) the second you open the pack... AND so-on-and-so-on-and-so-on... image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    Group box breaks can actually be very good idea if you are a straight up team collector. If you only collect one team and you are able to pick your team(sometimes they randomize all the teams, sometimes you pick one and get a second random) then it can work out very well. I would never participate in one that is on youtube(ie pre-recorded). The one I was in a couple years ago was streamed live on ustream. Another issue is the pricing of the lots. Sometimes the guy doing the breaks tries to make a nice profit for himself, so do the math and make sure the amount per slot is reasonable compared to a sealed box price.
  • BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Based on the responses so far, I see that the consensus is that they are not something a lot of the board members here participate in. Is this based on first hand experience or second hand news? If you watch the Youtube videos (and there are tons of them), it sure looks like some people get nice cards. >>

I have only been in 5 or so breaks myself. I dont really understand the dislike for these kinds of breaks here but to each his own. They can be fun. I would only get in one that you can watch live. Most guys use blogtv or whatever. Ive had good experiences talking with others in the chat room during the break. There are several guys on Youtube that do them as well. The two sites I mentioned previously probably make a few dollars or so. Over on Blowout I believe they discourage the person running the break from making a large profit. Honestly if I guy is breaking a case of cards and has to send 20 or more packages out he deserves to make a few bucks or get a free spot in the break.

I recommend trying one after you do a bit of homework and decide which product you want to get in on. I look at it like this. I cant afford a $2000 case of cards but its nice to get a spot or two in a break and have a chance to hit something nice for a fraction of that.
  • BUBBASWAYZEE.COM HERE, YES BOX BREAKS ARE WORTH IT. THEY ALL ARE ABOUT THE SAME BUT SOME DO HAVE DIFFERENT RULES SO YOU DO NEED TO READ THE RULES. FOR THE MOST PART SOME ONE WILL SELL A BOX OR CASE FOR EXAMPLE BY SELLING THE TEAMS. SO EXAMPLE YOU PAY FOR THE REDS. THEY WILL OPEN THE BOX OR CASE AND ALL THE CARDS IN THAT BOX OR CASE BELONGS TO THE PERSON WHO BOUGHT THE REDS OR THE CUBS, YANKS ECT. SO YOU GET THE TEAMS YOU WANT THAT WAY INSTEAD OF BUYING YOUR OWN BOX ONLY TO BE STUCK WITH TEAMS OR PLAYERS YOU DON'T WANT. AND IT USALLY COST LESS IN THE LONG RUN FOR A COLLECTOR YOU ONLY WANT CERTIAN TEAMS!!null
    sports collecting memrobilia
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BUBBASWAYZEE.COM HERE, YES BOX BREAKS ARE WORTH IT. THEY ALL ARE ABOUT THE SAME BUT SOME DO HAVE DIFFERENT RULES SO YOU DO NEED TO READ THE RULES. FOR THE MOST PART SOME ONE WILL SELL A BOX OR CASE FOR EXAMPLE BY SELLING THE TEAMS. SO EXAMPLE YOU PAY FOR THE REDS. THEY WILL OPEN THE BOX OR CASE AND ALL THE CARDS IN THAT BOX OR CASE BELONGS TO THE PERSON WHO BOUGHT THE REDS OR THE CUBS, YANKS ECT. SO YOU GET THE TEAMS YOU WANT THAT WAY INSTEAD OF BUYING YOUR OWN BOX ONLY TO BE STUCK WITH TEAMS OR PLAYERS YOU DON'T WANT. AND IT USALLY COST LESS IN THE LONG RUN FOR A COLLECTOR YOU ONLY WANT CERTIAN TEAMS!!null >>

Are you new at this whole internet thingy?
  • MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Charlie9Charlie9 Posts: 526 ✭✭
    I know most on these forums knock them but I love being in group breaks. Lots of good ones out there but definitelydo your research before choosing one. I like theboxbreakers.com myself!

Theboxbreakers.comBoxbreakers website
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Group box breaks can actually be very good idea if you are a straight up team collector. If you only collect one team and you are able to pick your team(sometimes they randomize all the teams, sometimes you pick one and get a second random) then it can work out very well. I would never participate in one that is on youtube(ie pre-recorded). The one I was in a couple years ago was streamed live on ustream. Another issue is the pricing of the lots. Sometimes the guy doing the breaks tries to make a nice profit for himself, so do the math and make sure the amount per slot is reasonable compared to a sealed box price. >>

They only work if you trust the "box breaker". But I agree with the comment above regarding team sets. I mainly collect Braves only and I can "buy" the Braves for just a few bucks per box, and get the cards I want for much cheaper.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.