Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A possibly purchase - what do you think?

Tomorrow I am going to meet a fella who has this stuff available. No pics, but this is what he described them as:

<< <i>1. 1 to 3 complete sets of 1992 Upper Deck (Why? It was the year my first daughter was born)
2. 50 sheets (9 cards to a sheet) of Topps 1974
3. 11 sheets of Topps 1975
4. 14" of Topps Cards 1988
5. 5" of Don Russ Cards 1991
6. 5" of Don Russ Cards 1990
7. 7" of Topps Cards 88"
8. 6" of Topps Cards 90'
9. Entire 1991 Leaf set
10. Entire 1992 Topps Set
11. Upper Deck Heroes of Baseball All Star Game 1992 Limited Edition
12. Classic Major League Baseball Trivia Game unopened

Other individual cards and funky stuff: Roger Maris 1963, Denny McClain 1966, Catfish Hunter 1973 3D, 1964 Billy Williams, 1974 mini Nolan Ryan, Joe Morgan and Lou Brock, many 74' Twinkie Cards, Mike Mussina Rookie Card, Ed Erautt 1953 Signed card, Ernie Banks 67', Mickey Mantle 67', Brooks Robinson 60', Hank Aaron Twinkie 74', Willie Mays Topps 75' and 3D, Roberto Clemente 74', Billy Williams 68'72' 74', Ken Griffey Jr. Promo Card 10 of 20, !969 Rod Carew, Lou Brock Signature 2098 of 3000 Upper Deck and many, many others. >>

Some of it does not sound right, like a 74 mini Nolan Ryan? Anyway, the asking price is $250.

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love cards by the inch - - good luck.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Was Don Russ the backup shortstop for the Mariners in 1990 and '91??
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>........Some of it does not sound right, like a 74 mini Nolan Ryan?........ >>

Sometimes people who do not know much about sports cards look on the back and see the stat line from the previous year and think that is the year of the card. There's a good chance that all the single cards he described are actually from the year after what he describes them as.
  • Options
    lol Yeah, Don Russ was a great player once.

Well, I guess condition will certainly be a factor. I dont know what the inches are about. I am inclined to think some are box bottoms. The sheets of 74 and 75 has me intrigued though. The 90's stuff does not interest me, but the single cards listed I have interest in. But its an all or nothing deal. The guy just wants to get rid of them. I did not know if $250 was too much, a good deal or am I getting a steal.
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    "Sheets" probably means 9-pocket plastic sheets with cards - since he says 9 cards per sheet.
  • Options

<< <i>"Sheets" probably means 9-pocket plastic sheets with cards - since he says 9 cards per sheet. >>

Ahh. That make sense.
  • Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't go near 5" of Don Russ image

. . . but seriously, it all depends on the condition of the "other individual cards" -- a nice Mantle could make it worthwhile.
  • Options
    In all honesty, this deals probably going to be a dud. The only thing that might be worth it may be the 74's and 75 but as already stated, condition is the biggest contributing factor. I personally wouldn't expect much and not get my hopes up because off all the other 90's junk hes offering in that lot. Everyone knows Nolan Ryan, Hank Aaron, and anyone whos ever collected baseball cards can identify the Robin Yount and George Brett Rookies so most likely those wont even be included. Wish you the best of luck however and keep us posted but don't get pressured into buying anything you don't want to just because your there either.
  • Options
    Yeah, I am guessing they were not condition sensitive people, but more enjoyed the cards. For what its worth, this was the heading of the post, which might give other insight into the sale.

<< <i>I have a tremendous collection of baseball cards and memorabilia. There are a few basketball and football cards also. The collection consists of entire sets and some very rare cards. Only serious buyers should email me as I don't want to have buying visits that last more than a half and hour. I probably have $100 dollars in just the sheet protectors/folders/individual hard plastic etc.. Although I have cards which are older, the main part of the collection is from the early 70's (when I started collecting) and the late 80's and early nineties (I got another wild hair about collecting). I've got 72' minis, Twinkie cards, memorabilia from the All Star game here in San Diego. I don't want to sell anything piecemeal. It's all or nothing and I believe once you see the amount of cards, you'll understand it's a fair price >>

• Options
    Well, I decided not to get the above collection today. Partially because I already had on the table another deal which got me some great unopened material.

81 Donruss
    82 Fleer and Topps
    83 Topps and Donruss
    84 Donruss and Fleer
    85 Donruss and Fleer
    (2) 87 Fleer and Donruss
    89 UD complete set, sealed
    (3) 81 Topps traded
    (5) 83 Topps traded
    (2) 84 Topps traded
    (2) 86 Topps traded

All the packs look pristine. So I was pretty happy with them. Traded sets all look untouched. Some still have original tape on them. The guy I purchased these from has more 82s and 83s. Factory sets from 85 Donruss. He mentioned he knows someone with a sealed 1980 wax case but was asking 10K which is way out of my range. But thats neither here nor there. At some point I have to consider what to keep sealed and what to rip. Fun stuff lies ahead in 2013!! Woot!