Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Free PSA Submissions

I have some questions about free PSA submissions. I recently surpassed 90% completion on my "1973 Topps - Basic" set (660 cards) so I understand that I am entitled to 5 free gradings. My questions are as follows:

1) Am I entitled to additional free submissions for other 1973 sets where I have also surpassed 90% completion using the same 1973 cards? For example, I am also above 90% completion for most of the 1973 Topps team sets (e.g. "1973 Topps New York Mets", "1973 Topps Detroit Tigers"), so does that entitle me to an additional 1 free submission for each of those 24 team sets? And how about the "1973 Topps - Master" set (674 cards - another 5 free submissions)? And the 1973 Topps with Wax Pack - Basic" set (661 cards - another 5 free submissions)? In other words...can I claim free submissions for all of these different sets, so long as I have exceeded 90% for each of them, even though the sets overlap?
2) For those set(s) for which I an entitled to free submissions, do all of the submissions need to come from cards within that set? For example, if I earn 1 free submission for having exceeded 90% on my "1973 Topps New York Mets" set, can I only use that free submission for a card that is a member of that set (in this case, a 1973 New York Met card)?
3) Can free submissions that I earn from different sets be aggregated into the same order to avoid paying separate shipping on each order? Or, can free submissions be combined with paid submissions for the same reason?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    The answers are yes. You get free subs for all the sets at 90% and higher. When you request your free subs...tell them you want them to all be on one sub as they will all be 1973's. Unless this has changed recently.....they will do this.
  • Options
    It should also be noted that your free submittal does NOT have to be of one of the players you are missing within your set so long as it IS a player from that set! As for saving on shipping, yes you can mail the order to PSA all together at once but it is my understanding PSA will NOT process paid submissions and free submissions on the same order. You would have one bundle of free submissions on one order and another on a paid order so you would really have two separate orders mailed together TO PSA. After your orders are finished being graded, PSA will send you back both orders separately and you will have to pay return shipping for both. I may be mistaken but you have to email PSA for your free submittals anyway and they will answer any questions you have. Good luck.
    1959 Topps baseball registry (master and basic)
    1980 Topps baseball registry (master and basic x 3)
    1975 Topps baseball registry
  • Options
    Yes, Punchy is correct....you can not send paid and free on the same sub form. That would be it's own return shipping.
  • Options
    Thanks gentlemen for the good info. I think I'm in line for somewhere around 50 free submissions. That's what about 610 cards got me.
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    What kind of registry sets constitute free submissions?

Player sets?

Team sets?

Year sets?

If I need one more card for my Basic Musial Registry, would that mean I could send it in for free?
  • Options
    Pdub.......yes, if you're 90%complete.
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pdub.......yes, if you're 90%complete. >>

I can't believe I didn't know that. Could have saved me a little money.

Thank you for the information.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe this will help...

Free Submissions. We recognize that not every item in every important collection has been graded by PSA. In order to encourage participation in the PSA Set Registry program when your set reaches 90% complete, you are entitled free grading as follows.

If the set composition is 1-50 cards or tickets you are entitled to 1 free grading.
    If the set composition is 51-150 cards or tickets you are entitled to 2 free gradings.
    If the set composition is 151-300 cards or tickets you are entitled to 3 free gradings.
    If the set composition is 301-750 cards or tickets you are entitled to 5 free gradings.
    If the set composition is 751-1500 cards or tickets you are entitled to 6 free gradings.
    If the set composition is over 1500 cards or tickets you are entitled to 7 free gradings.

Cards which are autographed and dated 1997 or earlier will need to go through the “Grading & Autograph Authentication” service. For these cards, the following free submissions apply:

If the set composition is 1-150 cards or tickets you are entitled to 1 free gradings.
    If the set composition is 151-300 cards or tickets you are entitled to 2 free gradings.
    If the set composition is 301-750 cards or tickets you are entitled to 3 free gradings.
    If the set composition is 751-1500 cards or tickets you are entitled to 4 free gradings.
    If the set composition is over 1500 cards or tickets you are entitled to 5 free gradings.

Free gradings are for items within the set that has reached 90% completion. You should request your free gradings with the intent to either add or upgrade your set with the items that are being graded for free. You cannot submit the same item twice for free grades. All items must be submitted at one time. If your set has reached 90% complete, please contact setregistry@collectors.com with your name, address and phone number, the name of the set that qualifies and whether or not your cards are autographed. If you wish to send cards in for different service levels, i.e. crossover, regrade, raw, etc., please inform us when you request your submission form as separate submission forms are required for different types of services. You will be sent by U.S. mail a submission form to be used exclusively for your free gradings. It is your responsibility to pay for postage and insurance.
    Please note that Packs are not eligible for free grading.

• Options
    Here's the response that I got back from PSA:
    "Hi Avi,
    Yes, you can receive free grading(one time) for all your sets that are over 90% or more complete. You will need to send in cards from the set that you received free grading for. You have the option of sending in all of your free gradings all at once, however they will need to be submitting under the same submission type (i.e. grading, re-grade or crossover). You will not be able to place free gradings on the same submission form as paid submissions but you can ship them to us in one box."

This seems consistent with the other responses in this thread.