Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Canadian Blacksmith coins?

Hi Guys,

I just found these...They remind me of the "Canadian Blacksmith" tokens I have seen on the forum lately.

What are they?

Coin 1
Coin 2

Comments

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The two pieces are not part of the "Blacksmiths" but rather I'm pretty sure counterfeit coppers that were struck in hundreds of varieties. As to exactly what these are, can't help much.
  • Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭✭
    Ambrio is right, these are British counterfeits struck in U.K. but possibly may have found there way over to the USA at some point in their life. The George II looks like it may be a farthing, but of course that is impossible to tell from the photo. I am just guessing as it looks like the style.

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    What IS, and what is NOT, a Canadian Blacksmith Token (or copper), has never been adequately pinned down. Pieces we THOUGHT were primitive counterfeits made by amateurs under crude conditions on careful analysis show incredible skill in engraving "worn looking" dies, quality planchets of extreme purity of metal and precise size and weight that speaks of English quality... Yet, despite possible English manufacture, none show up there, only being found in Canada. The Wood 33. The GLORIUVS III token, is in the process of being delisted from the Blacksmiths and being officially retermed an "evasion", namely Atkins 273 as die links now indicate a British origin, and despite thousands of these coming to light in Canada, a few that reside in UK institutional collections have swayed opinion on the coins origin. An undeniable fact though is that all Canadian half penny imitations are smaller and lighter that any US colonial or early Federal coppers. The history of what DID make up the circulating coppers of North America includes a majority of unauthorized issues, worn regal English and Irish coppers, private tokens and store cards. Small change was so difficult to come by in Canada there are records of "coins" which were no more than strips of copper partially cut apart with chisel strikes, you'd break off enough copper to make penny "weight". One piece known as the McNish token is nothing but a disc of blank copper with upset rims.
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

To the OP: Sorry, these are much too nice and too high grade to be Canadian Blacksmith tokens. Maybe if you buried them in a rock quarry for a couple of years, or left them in a well-travelled parking lot for a while, then they would pass and Ambro would be interested in them.

(J/K Ambro image)
  • Options
    Wood 33 shows a very similar "George" image
  • Options
    Actually these are back in as Blacksmiths. But these were probably made in England and then shipped to Lower Canada for their circulation. Like the Tiffins. They are ALMOST reverse die linked to Wood 34 (shamrock).

Primarily a collector of error coins over the next decade after collecting for 40 years. Have collected & studied every coin series in the Western Hemishere - yes - even ...
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To the OP: Sorry, these are much too nice and too high grade to be Canadian Blacksmith tokens. Maybe if you buried them in a rock quarry for a couple of years, or left them in a well-travelled parking lot for a while, then they would pass and Ambro would be interested in them.

(J/K Ambro image) >>

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Like the Tiffins. They are ALMOST reverse die linked to Wood 34 (shamrock). >>

Did someone say Tiffins? I picked these out of group found in a small box in an attic in Connecticut a couple years ago and acquired
    by a dealer friend of mine.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file