Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Should There Be A New Breed Of "Show?"

I wish I had the time to create a real quality show in the Los Angeles/Southern California area. The weather is perfect here, and is an especially attractive alternative in winter months.

It would be great to just create a new type of atmosphere, one where collectors are maybe "invited" to come and share their collections in person, sell and trade. Top dealers as well. Maybe invite some top auction houses or ebay sellers to do in-person live auctions of some showcase pieces. Less of a public show-- I'm thinking a smaller event that gathers pre-known collectors who can talk and appreciate cards as well as buy, sell, and trade. Would be a fun time. Get a few players to show up sign, a few famous collectors to bring some elite pieces.

Almost like a large house-party vibe at a non-traditional space.

I work with some people who are linked to a sports agency, so could reach out there perhaps to find players of different sports. Could also personally reach out to some top known collectors and see if they'd be interested. I think if everyone invited knew that such great cards would be in one location, and such knowledgable collectors, too... It could be pretty cool.

Comments

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    I like the "invitation" only option. You could be on to something. image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Yes, I think it could really change the whole experience. What makes a great show? For me, it means...

1. An abundance of great cards to look at.
    2. An abundance of great cards to try and obtain.
    3. Knowledgable collectors with whom to make friendships and talk cards. Make new connections within the hobby.
    4. Optional: some great food and drink.
    5. Optional but very fun: live auctions.
    6. Optional but very fun: meet players.

Creating the right clientele/guest list for such an event could essentially create a great "show," albeit not in the traditional show sense. It's essentially a party or hang out or gathering-- of collectors and key figures in the hobby of card collecting. And players of course, especially ones no longer active, I've found like to make connections of their own in other businesses.

Looking at the aforementioned list of six things that make up a great show experience, I think a great show could be made if it's designed to deliver just that and viewed as more of a guest list event/party and not a public show. Those invited bring guests of course, and in time it could grow. But if it starts this way...could be dynamite.
  • pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    I probably wouldn't qualify to be invited, but you're more than welcome to use my backyard in La Habra!
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Sounds like the "shows" of the late-60s, early 70s!
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
    I don't think it even has to be a strictly guest list type of event, if such a large venue was available to accommodate public of course--- as long as there was an invited core to ensure that the experience was awesome: great cards, great collections on display, great cards for sale...
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you're describing sounds more like the best message board than a show.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    I'm sure it would get to that for me and some of us after the show proper was through. This is, after all, Los Angeles-- though I have managed to find the party everywhere from Sweden to Budapest to Japan.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Growing up, there was a collectors club. It was really great. People would get together to plan out wax purchases from dealers, especially one who actually ran the club. At that time, it was more volume based so they were buying cases of vending and wax to set up at shows. But people were encouraged to bring what they want to trade and sell. There was a LOT of trading and selling going on.

Yes, it was in the best interest of the dealer who ran the club. He sold plenty to both weekend warrior dealers and to collectors. His prices were always below market. He was a very nice and honest guy. He deserved his profit because he really did put a lot of time into the club. He made monthly newletters about new products and anyone could put what they want in the newsletter to sell. I guess a website for a collectors club would be the way to go these days...with people contributing blogs.

Often times people would bring neat things just for a show and tell. Learned a lot that way. It was also fun to see what others got. Im sure that would be fun to share some big hits out of packs or nice vintage to share with the others.

Anyway, I think a collectors club would be very appealing to many. Set up monthly or bi-monthly gatherings. Anyway, just sharing an experience growing up because this thread brought back some memories.
  • The show won't work without any 'strife'.

All you would need is a few characters from this board getting together in the same room to 'talk' about various card related and sports related topics and you got your strife.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    How do you know this hasn't already happened and you just weren't on the list?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• << <i>How do you know this hasn't already happened and you just weren't on the list? >>

• Actually something of a "meet-up" is what I hear you describing. There is the meet up.com venue that you could possibly use as a means of advertising point. But maybe if you found like a cool beer garden where people can bring choice stuff to sell. But I dont know if you are talking about a gathering where people can discuss cards, or you are setting up shop to buy and sell stuff. Trading probably would be the best avenue in this kind of setting.

I have thought about how to make shows more viable these days as well. I have not come up with anything that would work. Places to sell have become disseminated far too wide, and many many choices from where to buy online, to have it concentrated into small groupings. So if you can somehow make that aspect appealing, it might work without having to go online.
    All kidding aside, there is a show on May 18th in Culver City. Tables are $100 so the bar is pretty low as far as breaking even.
    So Cal Sports Collectors

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

Griffins, that link doesn't work.
    hmm, worked for me when I just tried it with another browser.
    Sorry, try this is the link doesn't work
    http://www.socalsportscollectors.com

I just get a white page that says "Authentication Error." Maybe it's just me though.
    I just get a white page that says "Authentication Error." Maybe it's just me though.
    Did you get a white page that says "Authentication Error"? image

It works for me.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Reggie ... works for me as well.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Link is good.
    Well, it appears I'm with MattyC on the outside looking in.
    Culver City? I'm so there. Someone post the details linky no worky for me thx.
    What have we done to offend you Griffins?????!!!!!!!

• << <i>Culver City? I'm so there. Someone post the details linky no worky for me thx. >>

Here's one in Anaheim on January 11-13, 2013.
    Thanks Maurice!

• Thanks for mentioning the Culver City show... I live minutes from there. I remember they used to have shows YEARS ago. I probably will be there, but like the last few hours.
    I'm hitting that Anaheim one fo sho. Culver as well as that's a short drive for me.
  • StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Growing up, there was a collectors club. It was really great. People would get together to plan out wax purchases from dealers, especially one who actually ran the club. At that time, it was more volume based so they were buying cases of vending and wax to set up at shows. But people were encouraged to bring what they want to trade and sell. There was a LOT of trading and selling going on.

Yes, it was in the best interest of the dealer who ran the club. He sold plenty to both weekend warrior dealers and to collectors. His prices were always below market. He was a very nice and honest guy. He deserved his profit because he really did put a lot of time into the club. He made monthly newletters about new products and anyone could put what they want in the newsletter to sell. I guess a website for a collectors club would be the way to go these days...with people contributing blogs.

Often times people would bring neat things just for a show and tell. Learned a lot that way. It was also fun to see what others got. Im sure that would be fun to share some big hits out of packs or nice vintage to share with the others.

Anyway, I think a collectors club would be very appealing to many. Set up monthly or bi-monthly gatherings. Anyway, just sharing an experience growing up because this thread brought back some memories. >>

I have been thinking about this same idea of a collectors group. I live in northern Virginia and was trying to guage interest in something like this. I put it out on Craigslist and got s couple of resposnse, but was thinking abiout setting something up on meetup.com also. Here is what I had on Craigslist:

I'm looking to gauge some interest on starting up a sportscard collectors group in the Chantilly area for Northern Virginia. I was thinking of a group that met monthly to show off their collections, maybe do some trading, but most importantly to do some bulk buying and do box or case breaks on a monthly basis. Everyone could chip in and we'd buy some product - new or old - and break it down during the meeting. Whether it for a personal collection or to send cards off for grading, etc... it could be a lot of fun.

Plus we could do other activities like fantasy leagues, going to games as a group, etc....

There would probably be some nominal monthly dues to pay for a meeting space and other things, and then money to to pay for the product breaks, if interested.

I look at this as a great way for fellow adult card geeks to meet and enhance our collections or eBay card selling or whatever....

Other acitivites could include - arranging to go to local shows togher (such as the Dulles Expo Center in Chantilly), maybe a road trip to a show, putting together a website where we could buy/sell/trade cards, put together PSA card grading submissions, and other ideas we can brainstorm on.

Just trying to guage interest at this time, but if we can get 10-20 people that would be great and we could try and get it up and runing in the next month or two. So whether you like vintage, shiny new stuff, or oddball cards, let me know if you might be interested in getting this off the ground.
    Statman, that is pretty much what a dozen or so of us have done in LA for the last 8 years. A few times a year we've gotten together to share collections, split auction lots, pass around some extra cards, and discuss the hobby.

• Hi Statman, count me in. David

<< <i>I have been thinking about this same idea of a collectors group. I live in northern Virginia and was trying to guage interest in something like this. I put it out on Craigslist and got s couple of resposnse, but was thinking abiout setting something up on meetup.com also. Here is what I had on Craigslist:

I'm looking to gauge some interest on starting up a sportscard collectors group in the Chantilly area for Northern Virginia. I was thinking of a group that met monthly to show off their collections, maybe do some trading, but most importantly to do some bulk buying and do box or case breaks on a monthly basis. Everyone could chip in and we'd buy some product - new or old - and break it down during the meeting. Whether it for a personal collection or to send cards off for grading, etc... it could be a lot of fun.

Plus we could do other activities like fantasy leagues, going to games as a group, etc....

There would probably be some nominal monthly dues to pay for a meeting space and other things, and then money to to pay for the product breaks, if interested.

I look at this as a great way for fellow adult card geeks to meet and enhance our collections or eBay card selling or whatever....

Other activities could include - arranging to go to local shows together (such as the Dulles Expo Center in Chantilly), maybe a road trip to a show, putting together a website where we could buy/sell/trade cards, put together PSA card grading submissions, and other ideas we can brainstorm on.

Just trying to gauge interest at this time, but if we can get 10-20 people that would be great and we could try and get it up and runing in the next month or two. So whether you like vintage, shiny new stuff, or oddball cards, let me know if you might be interested in getting this off the ground. >>

Collecting Matt Alexander, Manny Sanguillen, and Rennie Stennett - pm me with your oddball items for sale or trade!
    I'm going to go to both of the shows and I will be going to the Long Beach Show as well (Feb. 7-9). I'll do the little I can to help promote card collecting and maybe, just maybe get the National to come out here!
  • You could call it the "MattyC Look At Me Show"
    U mad Shreve? Keep talking smack online like a punk tool. I can't recall ever conversing with you and you troll me on these boards. Step the fk off.
  • I just call it as I see it bro.....there was a thread here awhile back & u hijacked it with all ur scans

Can u get ur agency to rep me? image

Maybe u & Minimaster can have a private show to see who has the most minisize minis. Lol!!!!!
    I apologized to Foo like a man for that-- I misread it. Others also posted multiple scans by similar mistake, my posts just happened to be my cards. I referenced an agency strictly in regards to resources I could help bring to bear for an event-- like saying, "If we have a party I can bring the booze, or secure the venue, the talent, etc."

If you still want to take issue with me, let's keep it to PM so as not to let Internet trash talking taint an otherwise constructive positive thread.

That's all I have to say on it.
  • It's all good Matty, I just wonder if u & Micone are related since ur posts are alike sometimes......they call attention to yourselves & ur amazing collections but you both say u really don't do that. Maybe ur his agent I dunno

It's interesting

Oh well time to gear up for my Tigers bowl game tmrw
    For what it's worth, I don't consider myself a big time baller collector whatsoever; there are countless guys out there with single cards that could buy my whole rather small 60 or so card collection. Some of us like scans, seeing them and posting them for others who like seeing them. If posting them or some occasional wording strikes you badly, one can't help that. No need to take it to a snide/antagonistic place on either side, so cool all good then.

And no I don't know micone but would happily take ten percent of whatever he does to afford those great cards! I can look at such dope cards all day all good. Luck with your game. Also went and changed that wording about my "work colleagues" so no one else can read it the wrong way.

Back on track, I just think if great cards and also player appearances are a central part of what make a great show, then it would be nice to try and ensure their presence at an event. To keep it low cost but still nice it likely couldn't be a big enough venue to accommodate the general public, at least initially. So perhaps inviting the great cards and their owners directly to display and share them and also obtain other ones via sale/trade/live auction and all in the company of other enthusiastic collectors, this could be a cool thing.
  • When I was a teenager, I used to attend the West Coast Card Club which was held in the San Fernando Valley which is part of Los Angeles.

This is a newsletter from 1980.

• I would be happy to come to your invite-only card show for the elite. Is it black-tie or can I dress casual? Will there be Champagne and hors d'ouevres?
    A smaller venue means it couldn't support the general public, necessitating some sort of guest list.

If a larger venue were possible, then the cards (and thus their owners), dealers, and AH's most collectors would want to see (which constitute a good show experience) would be directly invited-- rather than just having a show and trying to sell tables.

No jacket required. Maybe reading comprehension tho.

When I go to show, I'd rather see and hold a PSA 8 Mantle RC or a Ty Cobb/Cobb back then a box of 88 Donruss. Before driving to a show, I'd also much rather know for sure that such awesome cards to view in person are actually there, instead of just hoping they are there. It would be great to know that amazing cards I've only seen pictures of we're for sure going to be in one place. It would also be great to know that for collectors hoping to find quality cards for sale, there was a show where seller-collectors-trader-dealers of good cards were sure to be.
  • Wow, some people just love to shoot their mouths off and taint a good thread. Someone above talks about Mattyc "hijacking" a thread with scans of amazing cards but then comes in here and hijack this thread with negativity. I would rather see amazing cards then read someone's personal views toward another member (jealousy?) any day. Lets keep these discussions card related and positive people. No need for that junk here.

Back to the topic on hand...

I have been to a few shows in both White Plains and Hofstra here on the east coast and have been disappointed every time. There have been great auto guests, boasts of 500 tables etc and I rarely have seen anything I would purchase. The National was the only show I've ever been to that had some great stuff, once a year, and still a town of garbage to sift through.

I am by no means an elite collector but if I have such a tough time founding things I like I can imagine it being doubly so for collectors of premium rarities. For people that go after such high dollar, elite collectible a, I am sure it would be nice to have a show to go to that won't be a waste of time. Aside form the few tables at the National that dealt in what I collect, my highlife were seeing and touching all ese elite cards out there. He many pistes were made after the national of the amazing items on display? I think a new breed of show would be great for those that can get involved. The collectors club is a great idea too.

Regional clubs with annual or bi annual meetings/shows would be awesome. Anything to bring people together to share this hobby we all love is a great idea, sign me up...maybe even paid memberships.

Why not just invite everyone from these boards?
    That would limit the amount of people invited.
  • AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    A slight tangent from the collector-club type show being discussed, I was thinking how useful it would be to have some sort of inventory database that dealers at a particular show could provide to a central data base that show attendees could search. It would be totally voluntary so dealers would not have to participate if they did not choose or did not have such a database. To be able quickly search for a particular player or set would be immensely useful and time saving, especially for those who collect obscure sets or forgotten players. Obviously there are hurdles, for one, most dealers probably have no inventory system per se and second the difficulty in updating the system if cards are sold, etc.

Aric, your idea would be great to combine with any show-- ask the participating attendees to showcase their items on a site so that prospective attendees would know for sure, to some extent at least, what will be at the show. That way it's not such a mystery box grab bag kind of experience.

Avoiding the mystery box aspect that is so often disappointing, as GC1213 mentioned, or sifting through so much stuff that some collectors don't want to sift through (especially when it's for naught) is exactly what I'm talking about: inviting the cards collectors would want to see, and be excited to see, to one place. Because cards have owners, that means inviting their owners, too, of course. Seems pretty logical actually.

In other words: trying to ensure that the quality ingredients/cards are at a show, rather than focus on selling out tables.

The thesis here is that when the focus is off filling a large space/selling tables and instead is on CURATING WHAT CARDS WILL BE IN THE ROOM (especially if it is a smaller room), I think it could make for a great experience. If someone wants to interpret that as elitist, no one's forcing anyone to get down with it.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    No jacket required.

Then how are we going to keep out the riff-raff? Maybe some sort of velvet rope in the front with a bouncer in a tux? He should have an earpiece as well so he can directly communicate with the person in charge.
    All good. Hot door girl with clipboard, velvet rope, bouncers-- sounds hot. I'm thinking bottle service too, everyone must buy a table and once inside get a bottle of Goose that retails for $40, but we can mark it up to like $400 with a ten bottle minimum image I'm really pumped for this now!

Edit: It's like Avenue or 1OAK in NYC meets a card show. Not what I initially thought, but what the heck-- this sounds like the move.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    earbuds, Lee. only a riff-raffer would use an earpiece.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    [i[All good. Hot door girl with clipboard, velvet rope, bouncers-- sounds hot. I'm thinking bottle service too, everyone must buy a table and once inside get a bottle of Goose that retails for $40, but we can mark it up to like $400 with a ten bottle minimum I'm really pumped for this now!

Edit: It's like Avenue or 1OAK in NYC meets a card show. Not what I initially thought, but what the heck-- this sounds like the move.

OK, I'm on board. Can't wait for the invite.