Home Precious Metals
Options

transaction inquiry etiquette, is there such a thing?

Does it bother you at all when someone inquires about something you're offering...you take the time and effort to answer in a timely manner giving all the details that the person wanted...and then you don't hear so much as a "thank you for answering my questions, but I am no longer interested" back?
I guess it's a pet peev of mine and I guess I wouldn't make a very good salesman. Maybe I was raised differently...which was to treat them with some level of common decency to at least reply back saying I am no longer interested.
Is there such a thing as inquiring about something etiquette?
I know there's much larger things to get upset about, but sellers get labeled if they don't answer a question or provide info. in a timely manner. Does the same hold true when a potential buyer doesn't at the very least say, thanks but no longer interested?
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I sell on kijiji/craigslist and this is most definitely the norm. No reply back almost always means they aren't interested any more.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are lowballers and tire kickers in every aspect of business.

If I don't explain what my item/ terms are in detail then I'm potentially missing out on a sale.

If the person doesn't answer after I put out the extra effort then I pick up on the unwritten message pretty quickly.

You're gonna have window shoppers everywhere...

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    It seems many things bother you.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does it bother you at all when someone inquires about something you're offering...you take the time and effort to answer in a timely manner giving all the details that the person wanted...and then you don't hear so much as a "thank you for answering my questions, but I am no longer interested" back?
    I guess it's a pet peev of mine and I guess I wouldn't make a very good salesman. Maybe I was raised differently...which was to treat them with some level of common decency to at least reply back saying I am no longer interested.
    Is there such a thing as inquiring about something etiquette?
    I know there's much larger things to get upset about, but sellers get labeled if they don't answer a question or provide info. in a timely manner. Does the same hold true when a potential buyer doesn't at the very least say, thanks but no longer interested? >>

I always respond with at least a "Thank you for your quick response". It's called being polite and having good manners.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭
    This happens quite a bit in todays world.... Kind of goes with the NEW Generations....This is in part why productivity in their lives is way down... they have all the newest gadjets to "stay connected" but have little to no knowledge to use that connectivity. To them its all about "ME"... I've had the non-reply increase for the past few years and pretty much treat them that same way..... I'd just assume give a bullion deal to someone whom will be prompt as to someone whom can't/don't seem to communicate promptly... BUT hey that maybe just me! image
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it happens, it is normal, but yeah, it bothers me too.

Worse is when I make an inquiry about something listed for sale and never hear back from the person. N-E-V-E-R.

Usually I just dump that person's user ID into my ignore list when that happens.
  • Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>it happens, it is normal, but yeah, it bothers me too.

Worse is when I make an inquiry about something listed for sale and never hear back from the person. N-E-V-E-R.

Usually I just dump that person's user ID into my ignore list when that happens. >>

Normal????.. Maybe the "NEW Normal"....just saying!
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Glad to see that I am not alone on this lol. I think PerryHall and Metalsman nailed it. I was just wondering if others have a "rather not do business with" list that was created due to some people asking, but never following thru with so much as a "no thank you". image
    If sellers can come under scrutiny for not answering questions in a timely manner, buyers should too after a certain amount of times of being "impolite".

I heard this at a coin show once..."Sometimes a seller/dealer has to fire a customer". The dealer was talking about all this one guy ever does is come to the table, ask how much something is, pick the hell out out of the coin, say the asking price is too high, and hardly ever actually buys even when a deal is offered.
    Didn't understand it at first, but it's making more sense as of late.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it bothers me too.

Especially when it happens here sometimes where we should know better.

I'd probably expect it to happen more often on Craigslist or Kijijjii (who the he*l knows how you spell it anyways).
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess this is why I sometimes see something I really dislike: "Serious buyers only."

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Guess this is why I sometimes see something I really dislike: "Serious buyers only." >>

Agree 100%. And invariably, such sellers have an ask price that is out of this world.....indicating they aren't serious at all about selling.
    I know when looking for used cars for sale once I see "serious only" I can usually write them off right then and there.

I'm old fashioned like the OP. If I inquire about something for sale I will at least give a reply one way or the other.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems many things bother you. >>

+1 image

Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Guess this is why I sometimes see something I really dislike: "Serious buyers only."

I don't like that either, but I don't like this more...I recently had an eBayer lead me on for a month saying he would pay me for the auction. His feedback kept being added to from other sellers he had paid, but kept feeding me a line of bs. And all I could do is file a claim to get my selling fees back??? The buyer gets a strike? Big deal, that's not enough. Sellers are held to higher standards, why aren't buyers?

Not to get ot, but this is yet another example of buyers I wish could be punished more than just getting a strike from eBay. They sent me a survey recently that I posted here as a poll that had some surprising questions to me...like, would I like to only deal with buyers from certain States. Maybe eBay is going to be adding some more realistic options for sellers of who they would only like to deal with, which I would welcome. My main ones would be being able to leave negative feedback for buyers if it is warranted and justified (which would take care of most of the problems) and then to only deal with buyers who have at least 99.5%+ positive fb and a score of at least up to 100, not -1 like it currently is. That's a joke.

Most transactions (here, other sites like this, eBay, etc.) are done in a timely manner, courteous and understanding, but if you've had to deal with a whack job, it really makes one question why even bother.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    It's the new world.

Qualify them more deeply image