Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wax packs: Tampered or Untampered

Ok. I brought up this before, but I still dont know what I am looking for. And maybe I am questioning the wrong item, but I figure it will still be helpful in the long run. I bought 3 boxes of 89-90 OPC hockey. Got them at a good price. Some of the packages are a little wonky. Some seem to be coming unglued even. But whether they have been tampered, I cant tell. What exactly am I looking for? If you need scans I can accommodate, but I know they are hard to tell through scans. People have mentioned roller marks, but again, what am I looking for?

Comments

• Options
    it is highly unlikely that anyone tampered with 89/90 OPC wax.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OPC wax is known for some odd seals on back where the wrapper is either bunched or crinkled. The seal on OPC is also typically looser than on its Topps
    counterparts so popped seals are not uncommon even on authentic unsearched packs. Also, the roller marks are not as pronounced on OPC wax packs, either,
    so it can be difficult to determine by looking at the same hallmarks used for Topps wax packs. OPC wax packs will also commonly exhibit a "rough" patch of
    wax on back which is duller than what you usually find on Topps packs.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark Murphy's book would be a decent start, if you're going to start spending coin on unopened.
  • Options

<< <i>Mark Murphy's book would be a decent start, if you're going to start spending coin on unopened. >>

Who is mark murphy and what is his book?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Mark Murphy's book would be a decent start, if you're going to start spending coin on unopened. >>

Who is mark murphy and what is his book? >>

The erstwhile king of unopened (pre-BBCE) aka thebbckid...here's a link to the book:

BBCKid Pack Book

Less Expensive 2nd Edition

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>it is highly unlikely that anyone tampered with 89/90 OPC wax. >>

Would not be shocked back in 89-91 if people searched these packs as the Sakic was probably going for $10 and the Fleury for $5-8. Remember back then before super premium cards and inserts those were the high dollar hot rookie cards.