Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help with 1998 Somalia set?

Can't find much info online, ebay, or anywhere.

1998 "Titanic Coin Collection", with $5 CuNi, $20 1 tr oz silver, $20 1/20th tr oz gold

COA says it's the government of Somalia & Somaliland, minted by the Morgan Mint.

Help on mintages, pricing, anything else?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These coins are not legal tender Somali coins. There never was such a thing as "the government of Somalia and Somaliland"; Somaliland is a breakaway province attempting (and so fair failing) to gain international recognition of its de facto secession from Somalia. In 1998, there was, effectively, no such thing as a "government of Somalia" as the country was in complete anarchy at the time.

The official currency of both Somalia and Somaliland has always been the "shilling". Coins denominated in "dollars", as these coins are, were struck by a private mint that couldn't even be bothered looking up what the currency unit of the country they were allegedly striking coins for was actually called. The "$" sign is not used for the Somali/Somaliland shilling; they use either "Sh" or the old British shilling symbol, "/-".

All that being said, these unofficial coins often end up being listed in the Krause "Unusual World Coins" catalogue, with "X" numbers rather than "KM" numbers. Currently, the only "coins" listed for 1998 are some "trial strikes" with this same obverse, such as this one. Your coin has not yet made it into the catalogues.

For mintages (if your COA does not mention them), you could try contacting the Mint and see if they kept records of such things; back in 2006, "The Morgan Mint" assimilated the remnants of the old Franklin Mint and took over their name, so the people you'd want to contact are the ones calling themselves "The Franklin Mint" these days. The old web address www.morganmint.com redirects there.

As for values... your guess is as good as mine, or anyone else's. I assume, given the name on the box, that coins have the Titanic on the other side? For Titanic coins, I think you missed the boat (pun intended), with the centenary of the disaster a few months ago; you'd probably have got more for them selling them at the peak of the Titanic craze back in April 2012.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for the typo: The governments of Somalia & Somliland.

Anyone have any information on mintages, pricing, etc?
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    I found them for sale for $450 here...Personally I would pay melt at the most...But to each his own...http://koinpro.tripod.com/WorldCoins/Somalia1998TitanicCoinOffers.htm
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys. I'd googled as much but was hoping someone might have experience with them. Appreciate the help.
    --Severian the Lame