Home Sports Talk
Options

Lionel Messi says 'no thanks' to $38m a year

So far as I know, this is a first. I believe this would have represented somewhere around a $15-20m a year raise:

Say No to Anzi

Comments

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I don't know a whole lot about Messi's situation but I would have done the same. It's not like he's not paid a fortune already and why would you leave your entire world behind to go play for a few million more in a complete foreign setting? Plus, I imagine his legacy would be significantly more enhanced by playing where he is now. >>

I tend to agree. On one hand, I have to think that that's just a ton of money to leave on the vine. On the other hand, we're talking about Anzi, which is probably the last place that someone would want to go play soccer. It's stuck out in the middle of Russia, and the surrounding area is embroiled in some kind of never-ending civil war, which means the team practices in Moscow and then flies in on the weekend to play their home games. You'd be hard pressed, I think, to find a more dismal place in all of Europe in which to ply your trade.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't know a whole lot about Messi's situation but I would have done the same. It's not like he's not paid a fortune already and why would you leave your entire world behind to go play for a few million more in a complete foreign setting? Plus, I imagine his legacy would be significantly more enhanced by playing where he is now. >>

I tend to agree. On one hand, I have to think that that's just a ton of money to leave on the vine. On the other hand, we're talking about Anzi, which is probably the last place that someone would want to go play soccer. It's stuck out in the middle of Russia, and the surrounding area is embroiled in some kind of never-ending civil war, which means the team practices in Moscow and then flies in on the weekend to play their home games. You'd be hard pressed, I think, to find a more dismal place in all of Europe in which to ply your trade. >>

flying on a Russian aircraft? No thanks!
  • Options
    Happy birthday Lionel!