Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is it considered a trade....

I am in the process of building a few raw sets. Ideally I would like to not have to spend any money and accomplish this through trades.

My question is this: If I sell part of my collection and then use those proceeds to buy pieces of the sets that I am building, did I break the "rule" of not spending money? It is sorta like a trade, only there was a step in between.
I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    what difference does it make?

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    That is exactly my question. DOES it make a difference? If I were to use money from my job as opposed to selling part of my collection, THAT would make a difference.

My goal is to consolidate as much of my collection as possible and bring it down to only stuff that I would consider my "core collection" without the "other stuff" that we all have.

The thread that asked about goals for the new year got me thinking about this. I would've discussed this in that thread, but didn't want to hijack it.

Ideally, I do not want to invest any new money into what I have, but if I transfer stuff into money and then use that money to focus on my sets, then everything is okay. My fear/problem is that I will use said money for other things besides cards. I guess it comes down to discipline. Okay, that is going to be my goal for my future projects.

I needed that rant to work this out. Who knew that discipline would be so difficult?
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    You're trading cards for money and the money you traded for cards for new cards... sounds like semantics to me! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I understand what you are saying. To answer your question ... I say YES it's a trade.

Unfortunately I am still in a position that I do not have extra money to buy cards. So what I do is sell some of the items I have that do not mean as much to me anymore and use some of that money to purchase items that I do enjoy.That way, IMO, I am not putting any "new" money into my collection. Kind of like trading ... no?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    The IRS and other taxing agencies would consider it a sale I am sure.
  • Options

<< <i>Unfortunately I am still in a position that I do not have extra money to buy cards. So what I do is sell some of the items I have that do not mean as much to me anymore and use some of that money to purchase items that I do enjoy.That way, IMO, I am not putting any "new" money into my collection. Kind of like trading ... no? >>

That is exactly my point/dilemma.

What about this monkey wrench: As a side thing, I do consignment selling (kinda like Probstein, but with MUCH MUCH less of a following). If I use the commissions from those sales, is that buying or trading?
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Unfortunately I am still in a position that I do not have extra money to buy cards. So what I do is sell some of the items I have that do not mean as much to me anymore and use some of that money to purchase items that I do enjoy.That way, IMO, I am not putting any "new" money into my collection. Kind of like trading ... no? >>

That is exactly my point/dilemma.

What about this monkey wrench: As a side thing, I do consignment selling (kinda like Probstein, but with MUCH MUCH less of a following). If I use the commissions from those sales, is that buying or trading? >>

In my ever so humble opinion, that is buying. The commissions is income, therefore would normally be applied to a household budget.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>What about this monkey wrench: As a side thing, I do consignment selling (kinda like Probstein, but with MUCH MUCH less of a following). If I use the commissions from those sales, is that buying or trading? >>

In my ever so humble opinion, that is buying. The commissions is income, therefore would normally be applied to a household budget. >>

I agree ... this is not money from the sale of part of your collection. No different, IMO, than if you used money from your primary job to purchase new items for your collection.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    You could add another twist. Take on another job with the sole intent of using money earned minus taxes, expenses, etc. for nothing but your
    collection. This could be considered trading time out of your life for adding to your collection.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    i think selling spare parts to fund what you really want can absolutely be considered trading. bartering if you will. im no accountant or businessman, but if i remember correctly there is a provision that if you take your old 401k, and roll it into an ira within 60 days, there are no tax repercussions, maybe think of it like that.

now, as ive said in previous threads im just getting back into this, and havent completed a trade over the internet since the old sports cards chat room on AOL, but i imagine one still has to pay for shipping and insurance. if you are wrapped up in where the money is coming from, and actually having to pay that money, does anyone consider this expenditure?
  • Options
    I figured that the consignment sales would not fall into the trade category. My rationalization was that it was ebay related and therefore could be grandfathered into the trade clause.

<< <i>You could add another twist. Take on another job with the sole intent of using money earned minus taxes, expenses, etc. for nothing but your collection. This could be considered trading time out of your life for adding to your collection. >>

This would be my consignment business. It's not nearly enough to pay my real bills, but can finance some decent cardboard.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations! You've passed all the qualifications to run a consignment business. Where do we send our cards? How do your fees compare to Probstein and PWCC? In lieu of fees would you accept trade. It's just like money, only not money.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    put me down for a preemptive safety bid
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont know. Did you buy the cards in the first place with money found, or was this money earned from your job?
    Seems like a really tough question.
    JK
    If this is what you are worried about in life I think you are doing a ok.
  • Options

<< <i>Congratulations! You've passed all the qualifications to run a consignment business. Where do we send our cards? How do your fees compare to Probstein and PWCC? In lieu of fees would you accept trade. It's just like money, only not money. >>

Not sure if this is a sarcastic joke or a legitimate attack. For the record, I was and am not trying to "advertise" a consignment business, but was putting an idea out there that I sometimes ponder.
  • Options

<< <i>If this is what you are worried about in life I think you are doing a ok. >>

+1
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options

<< <i>I dont know. Did you buy the cards in the first place with money found, or was this money earned from your job? Seems like a really tough question. >>

Until you pointed this out I had never thought of that.

<< <i>If this is what you are worried about in life I think you are doing a ok. >>

This one I cannot argue. I've been pretty lucky recently not to have anything too heavy weigh on my mind.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    My question is this: If I sell part of my collection and then use those proceeds to buy pieces of the sets that I am building, did I break the "rule" of not spending money?

So you want us to answer a question regarding the technicalities of breaking or not breaking a rule you invented for yourself?

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    << If this is what you are worried about in life I think you are doing a ok. >>

Actually, I would think the exact opposite.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>Who knew that discipline would be so difficult? >>

pretty sure it was the Almighty and a serpent.
  • Options

<< <i><< If this is what you are worried about in life I think you are doing a ok. >>

Actually, I would think the exact opposite. >>

'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options

<< <i><< << If this is what you are worried about in life I think you are doing a ok. >> Actually, I would think the exact opposite. >> >>

In hindsight I think I this thread makes me look slightly neurotic. I'm really not crazy.

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    15 minutes of my life I'll never get back.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>15 minutes of my life I'll never get back. >>

It took you 15 minutes to read this?

My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>15 minutes of my life I'll never get back. >>

It took you 15 minutes to read this?

image >>

31 minutes gone! i forgot how bad the thread was and re-read it from the beginning again.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i><< << If this is what you are worried about in life I think you are doing a ok. >> Actually, I would think the exact opposite. >> >>

In hindsight I think I this thread makes me look slightly neurotic. I'm really not crazy. >>

The crazy ones never think so, it's when you doubt your saneness
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Can someone really collect sports cards like we do and not be "neurotic" in some way?

I think the wrestling card collectors are a little more so than others, but still. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    I think if you 'buy' new cards with any money other than with the money you made selling your old cards, you are buying.

If you trade in your old 1994 car to get an 2013 vehicle, was that a trade? No, because you traded in to reduce the value of the total purchase. You are still out-of-pocket for the amount above the trade-in value.

Example (the way I see it):

You sell old card(s) for $100

You buy new card(s) for $125

You bought $25 worth of cards and traded $100 worth of cards.
  • Options

<< <i>Example (the way I see it):
    You sell old card(s) for $100
    You buy new card(s) for $125
    You bought $25 worth of cards and traded $100 worth of cards. >>

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug