Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

doily for auction, watch the holder not the coin.

I bought this a couple months ago, now lets see what happens. certain people ridiculed the purchase now lets see what happens. (i bet I at least double my money). This should be interesting.
coolbreeze

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Indeed, cheap entertainment. I am doing this just for this reason, I paid $49.00 for tha COIN, no I would not have bought it in a lifetime,but for the holder. Crazy Right? Excuse the shameless promotion.
    coolbreeze
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    Link?
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    I dont know how to, It is a franklin half dollar.
    coolbreeze
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    You need to turn on your Private Message in your profile.
  • Options
    Where is it listed?
  • Options
    E-Bay, I can barley log on to this, my niece did it for me when we were all together for the holidays, I am fairly smart except when it comes to modern technology ect. I wish I could get better at it, I at least bought dragon recently, but you have to train it and has not been making my computing easier yet.
    coolbreeze
  • Options
    What's the date and mm of the coin, and what is your eBay id
  • Options

<< <i>What's the date and mm of the coin, and what is your eBay id >>

1958-P half dollar, max42565.
    coolbreeze
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will sell for over $100 for sure. image

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the fact you show off the auction here within this thread is a plus.
    Misspelling [Doily within the auction text and title is a minus.

peacockcoins

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well . . . . I just bookmarked it, so the promotion worked.

But, after firing through a ton of these in my early 'acquisition' phase of Doilies, I have tried to be a bit more discreet. Let's look at it as sharing the wealth. In the seminal days of the Doily collecting craze (probably started by me -- guilty as charged), I grabbed every one. Now, I have a much more magnanimous feeling -- let all share in the joy that is a Doily !!!

Or . . . I already have so many Frankies I could choke. Now . . . put up a 20-center and I'll battle Astrorat to epic proportions !!!! That'll close out my Doily Type Set.

Happy New Doily Year to all !!!!!!

Drunner
    (Semi-Irrelevant Doily Slut)

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    I think the holder was worth more than you paid and you do double your money or more. Good luck!
    Ed
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the "old" days I used to search Doil* just for this reason - - doesn't work anymore I guess.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    You are right, but it is already bid for well more than I paid. As I have stated I bought the holder not the coin. I would not have bought this coin, sans the holder,under any circumstance. If a holder is collectable that is fine in my book. I think it will go for about $125.00, it already has over 225 views and 16 bids with three days left. And is up to $77.00. This is fun to say the least.
    coolbreeze
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it will break 500$. Very rare item the doily holder is very rare and you need to buy them at any price. Just to see one offered for sale is very rare. Rare.
  • Options

<< <i>Well, the fact you show off the auction here within this thread is a plus.
    Misspelling [Doily within the auction text and title is a minus. >>

You are correct, but as I have stated, I am not good with computers and I did not check, for errors(I should have though). This to me is just nice entertainment, with a profit potential. Maybe not after e-bay and paypal fees. And I hope whomever wins it enjoys it also.
    coolbreeze
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭

<< <i>I think it will break 500$. Very rare item the doily holder is very rare and you need to buy them at any price. Just to see one offered for sale is very rare. Rare. >>

I don't know about $500, but I can agree with the sentiment; as far as I know, PCGS didn't give out a lot of 66's during the Doily era. It'll be fun to see how much it gets. If you had to purchase a holder, this is a good one!

Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    What is cool though is that the holder is about as pristine as you can get, without grabing it right out of the press. I would give the holder a strong 64,65. This is nuts grading a coin holder.
    coolbreeze
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is cool though is that the holder is about as pristine as you can get, without grabing it right out of the press. I would give the holder a strong 64,65. This is nuts grading a coin holder. >>

Was just going to say that... image We are going to need 3rd party holder grading on these.... image

ABimage
  • Options

<< <i>Well . . . . I just bookmarked it, so the promotion worked.

But, after firing through a ton of these in my early 'acquisition' phase of Doilies, I have tried to be a bit more discreet. Let's look at it as sharing the wealth. In the seminal days of the Doily collecting craze (probably started by me -- guilty as charged), I grabbed every one. Now, I have a much more magnanimous feeling -- let all share in the joy that is a Doily !!!

Or . . . I already have so many Frankies I could choke. Now . . . put up a 20-center and I'll battle Astrorat to epic proportions !!!! That'll close out my Doily Type Set. I hear you, there is a beautiful proof indian cent on e-bay,in a doily. It is just way out of my range. But in my opinion that is a coin you can bank on if you can get it for a fair price, it appears not to have been messed with, at least since grading. if I could I would try to neogotiate for that one. I as well as many people on the boards have seen coins turn quickly in the holders.

Drunner
    (Semi-Irrelevant Doily Slut) >>

coolbreeze
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well . . . . I just bookmarked it, so the promotion worked. >>

I gotta remember how to do this!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Let me help with the promotion of this item . . . . . something perhaps the casual Doily observer may ignore, but I will guarantee some of us have not . .

The serial number begins with 227, indicating (theoretically) the day of certification. Out of the 400+ known Doilies, only one other has a cert number starting with 227 . . . . . . The 1871 Seated Liberty Proof Quarter -- 2274413.

That was the only allure to me. I have two other 1958 Frankies -- one in 65 and one in 66, so I am happy to share the wealth!

An interesting sidelight . . . . .???

Drunnerimage
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think it will break 500$. Very rare item the doily holder is very rare and you need to buy them at any price. Just to see one offered for sale is very rare. Rare. >>

I don't know about $500, but I can agree with the sentiment; as far as I know, PCGS didn't give out a lot of 66's during the Doily era. It'll be fun to see how much it gets. If you had to purchase a holder, this is a good one! >>

Ambro is just joshin'. You have to understand the man.
    Lance.
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    oh, lol. cool image
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remeber when it was frowned upon for promoting your own auctions on the coin forum.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are really rare. So rare in fact, that you will have an easier time finding a snow cone in hell than you will finding 13 for sale on the BST!!!!image
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was an 1882-CC MS65 Morgan with a green CAC sticker in a Doily slab that ended a week or so ago on eBay for about $450......basically regular-to-low retail. I should have bought it. Oh well. image

...likely because it wasn't listed as a Doily in the title......
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I remeber when it was frowned upon for promoting your own auctions on the coin forum. >>

ads are taking over the world, don't believe me, look around!

some companies are built on ad budgets lol

and i also enjoyed the days when shameless self-promoting here would be like dropping a goldfish into a tank of starving piranhas. image

no returns: hope the coin isn't a 64. oh well, probably doesn't matter.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Buffalo in a Doily

This has been up for a while. Any idea why it doesn:t sell?
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Buffalo in a Doily

This has been up for a while. Any idea why it doesn:t sell? >>

Maybe the $850 pricetag on a $300 coin? There are a lot of them up on eBay which have been there since Moby Dick was a minnow because they are too high priced.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Buffalo in a Doily

This has been up for a while. Any idea why it doesn:t sell? >>

Maybe the $850 pricetag on a $300 coin? There are a lot of them up on eBay which have been there since Moby Dick was a minnow because they are too high priced. >>

And that one has a green sticker already so it's harder to make the argument that it's undergraded. Would probably sell easier w/o the green sticker.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now . . . put up a 20-center and I'll battle Astrorat to epic proportions !!!! That'll close out my Doily Type Set.

Drunner
    (Semi-Irrelevant Doily Slut) >>

Yeah ... that would certainly be a full-cage death match! image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But, after firing through a ton of these in my early 'acquisition' phase of Doilies, I have tried to be a bit more discreet. >>

Jeff - Which Doilies are you looking for these days?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>But, after firing through a ton of these in my early 'acquisition' phase of Doilies, I have tried to be a bit more discreet. >>

Jeff - Which Doilies are you looking for these days? >>

I am going to guess, the ones he doesn't already have.

peacockcoins

• Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Nice job
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I remeber when it was frowned upon for promoting your own auctions on the coin forum. >>

ads are taking over the world, don't believe me, look around!

some companies are built on ad budgets lol

and i also enjoyed the days when shameless self-promoting here would be like dropping a goldfish into a tank of starving piranhas. image

no returns: hope the coin isn't a 64. oh well, probably doesn't matter.
    . >>

Does this mean I can ask why that one coin of mine has not sold yet? You know the one that is on eBay.image
  • Options
    Can I move my wanted post from the BST to here?? image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    With the release of the " Limited Edition " Silver Set, I can safely say the US Mint certainly has the ability to learn. image

• Options
    Are there any known 1913 Liberties in a Doily?

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sold for $111.79.

I expected it to go for the $150 range. Is the premium of the Doily holder coming down?
  • Options

<< <i>Sold for $111.79.

I expected it to go for the $150 range. Is the premium of the Doily holder coming down? >>

For the common coins yes
  • Options
    Thought often about a longer post on the "State of the Doily", but not quite yet . .

But on this coin, lots going on. Common coin, two I already had so I wasn't going to bid, perhaps a thinning of the DoilyHounds, and when this started, there were 120 of them known -- now there are over 400. I think with 13 of them now listed on eBay when there used to be none, there is a perception of ease of acquisition.

Perhaps . . . . I'll leave it up to you, but I paid $90 for my MS65 and $145 for my MS66, so this is somewhat in the ballpark for the third known (at least) of a common date and common coin.

I believe the seller did well on his original investment, and the buyer did well also.

Drunner
  • Options
    Seems cheap, but if you already have a few .........

If you can double your money every time after expenses, you're doing well, especially if you report the income in 2012 instead of 2012. image
  • Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Nice job
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow did the market for these crash? They were so hot last Thursday
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems cheap, but if you already have a few .........

If you can double your money every time after expenses, you're doing well, especially if you report the income in 2012 instead of 2012. image >>

Someone's already been starting the festivities this evening, eh? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file