Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Christmas 2012 - Did you get anything sports related?

I had sent a list to my wife/daughter for some misc items from BBCE. I ended up with the 81 triple crown (topps, donruss, fleer not showing in the picture), 84 BB rack box and an 80 rack pack. Yes, it's all ripped. image

How about others? Post some of what you received.

I ended up with a Carew "hot box" in the 81 Donruss. This type of colation seems to be typical for the 81 Donruss.

Then midway thru, it switched to a Braves run. Notice this one pack results. All Braves.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Does jock itch count? image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options

<< <i>Does jock itch count? image >>

yup
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    My wife got me this image.

My brother bought me a 1983 Topps Wax Box from BBCE. I'm keeping it unopened.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    Girlfriend got me a few sweet MJs for my collection. BGS 8.5 Star Lite AS, BGS 9 Court Kings, a box of 1996 Bowmans Best basketball (pulled 2 stunning Kobe RCs and an atomic Ray Allen refractor and a BGS 9 92-93 Fleer Team Leaders MJ. No scans yet though.
  • Options
    a new bat!

• Options

<< <i>My wife got me this image.

My brother bought me a 1983 Topps Wax Box from BBCE. I'm keeping it unopened. >>

LOVE IT!!!!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    My awesome niece got me this Red Sox wireless keyboard

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    40$ paypal gift card!
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    2012 Giants WS Champ tee-shirt, 2012 World Series on Blu-Ray, the 2012 World Series movie on blu-ray, and a 2012 World Series program.

I got my two oldest girls (4 and 2) their first Giants hats too. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My awesome niece got me this Red Sox wireless keyboard

image >>

It looks like someone took a steamy dump on your keyboard Mike.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

Don't worry, it will fail sometime late in August...
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Wife got me a Topps Chrome football blaster box, the first box of those I've opened.

The previous two years, I had gotten into those sets pretty heavy, but I was actually trying to sit this year out because I have made a few major purchases recently (without her knowing)

Oh well, Im hooked now

• Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Got a $20 box of 2012 Bowman Chrome baseball from my daughter and pulled a Jorge Soler auto'd refractor.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    My family long ago learned that sending me a PayPal gift was the way to buy me sports collectibles for Christmas.
    This year, it amounted to most of the cost of my last invoice each from Probstein and JustCollect. [I make sure to use PayPal balance only with trusted sellers.] image

Oh, and a friend gave me 6 packs of 2012 Topps Update Series.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wife got me a Topps Chrome football blaster box, the first box of those I've opened.

The previous two years, I had gotten into those sets pretty heavy, but I was actually trying to sit this year out because I have made a few major purchases recently (without her knowing)

Oh well, Im hooked now >>

Opened a fair amount of this year's Chrome. LMK if theres anything you are looking for in paticular, I'll see what I have for ya. Also, I'm looking for a gradeable Von Miller RC from last year's Chrome. Maybe we can swap some stuff.
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    I have two boxes of Topps Chrome football I busted as well if you need anything let me know. They are just sitting in a box upstairs.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>

Don't worry, it will fail sometime late in August... >>

• Options
    ldferg - how was that box of 81 Topps? Centered? OC? Anything worth mentioning or submitting?
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ldferg - how was that box of 81 Topps? Centered? OC? Anything worth mentioning or submitting? >>

Probably the worst ever. Maybe 12 cards submittable. Centering was bad. Condition was bad. One gum card in each pack (expected). No star power whatsoever. Not sure I've seen a wax box like that in the past. No rose, Ryan, Schmidt, Raines. I did receive 2 Fernando's. the semi-stars were OC. Regardless, I had a blast ripping and enjoyed receiving something like this from my family. Looking forward to next year.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    raiderguy10raiderguy10 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭
    Got 4 ROLLS of stamps, and an IOU for the new Meiselman list image
    Collect HOF Autos and Anything Raiders.

"In Al We Trust!"

Looking for Autos of HOFers Charles Bidwill, Tim Mara, Joe Carr, Fritz Pollard, Guy Chamberlin & Bill Hewitt
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    I got a PSA authenticated Eddie Mathews autographed baseball for my 500 home run club auto baseball set I'm working on. And a Yogi Berra documentary on DVD.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    didn't get anything hobby related but bought two blaster boxes of the new Topps Chrome football and two wax boxes of 2012 Topps baseball as my own gift to myself.....will bust upon arrival.......needed the baseball to help put together a series two set...al.
  • Options
    CounselorCounselor Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭
    Got some great gifts thanks to fellow message board member "Samspop", my Dad, Wife and Mother in Law.

Dad bought me one of the best centered 69 Aarons I have seen from Samspop and I used the money I received from Wife and Mother in Law to buy a 1963 Aaron from Samspop. Also received a 50 card display from Dad.

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice Aaron's!

I just picked up a '64 Aaron from Samspop, he shipped very quickly and was packaged well. I will definitely do business with him again.

I also like your display....I just need a room/office to put something like that up in.
  • Options
    My wife got me two very nice sports related items. The Bowman also came with a red flip. It was a PSA 3 crack out. My uncle helped her with a bit of the legwork (cracking the card, etc.) but all of the rest was her. The $1 has two very nice vintage autos. She also got me a new Breville blender that I am very happy with. We met right out of high school and have been together about 20 years now. It is nice to know she still pays attention to my interests image

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really a Christmas gift but after arriving back home from a Christmas trip, I did find these examples of my most current obsession waiting in my mailbox.

Daniel
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff guys!

That's got to be 2 of the nicest 7 Aarons I've seen.

Hiya David

Sorry to hear about the 81T box - I'm sure you got good entertainment value?

My wife got me a game I've had on my list for almost 5 years - she got assistance from my son.

Big 6 Sports Games - Gardner Games & Toys Co. - c1960s

First - here's an ad from a 1960 toy catalog - Big Six 6 Sports Games Set which included Mickey Mantle's Baseball, Verne Gagne's Wrestling, All Star Football, All Star Baseball, Stock Car Races, Championship Golf.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/stone193/Screenshot2012-12-25at30743PM-1.jpg?t=1356470278

That's pretty righteous! 6 games for $2.98! About what we paid for a monopoly game alone back then.

The main board has the Mantle and Bkb game:

The instructions are on the underside of the cover - which has no tears - a plus! There's no parts list - so - until one tries to play all the games - I'm not sure how complete the game is - but it appears to be complete.

Here's a pic of a couple of the included "boards" - actually, I wish they had made a nice baseball diamond board - as you can see, the diamond is incorporated in the spinner.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/stone193/P1010192-1.jpg?t=1356468732

The mechanism of play is the spinners except for the Mantle game which also has a colored die.

This will display very nicely with the Mantle game - I checked ebay and couldn't find any of the other Gardner games - so I wonder how scarce they are?

I did find an example of the single game by Verne Gagne:

From what I understand - this is from the net - he was drafted by the Bears in 1947 - but Wrestling paid better and the Bears wouldn't let him moonlite - so he opted for a wrestling career; he was also on the 1948 Olympic team.
    Mike
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Hey Mike,
    Really enjoy seeing your game pieces. image

The 81 was a bust but very enjoyable. My kids were ribbing me all day. I was as excited as them. Couldn't sleep the night before due to the anticipation of what they got for me. When my boys wanted to get up at 3:30 and open presents.....I couldn't resist. image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Mike,
    Really enjoy seeing your game pieces. image

The 81 was a bust but very enjoyable. My kids were ribbing me all day. I was as excited as them. Couldn't sleep the night before due to the anticipation of what they got for me. When my boys wanted to get up at 3:30 and open presents.....I couldn't resist. image >>

Geez I remember those days David. They were the best!!!!

My son is 29 - so it's a bit more sedate - even tho we got him a great gift. While we were eating out one nite - he said he would like to collect inexpensive classic/collectible guitars - we both play.

So - I decided to do something for Christmas and thought Danelectro. I remembered from the movie That Thing You Do - that Lenny was playing a Silvertone - sold by Sears but made by Danelectro (which is a poor man's guitar next to Fender). He was more than happy!
    Mike