Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is it normal for Topps Baseball factory sealed sets to be missing cards?

Bought a "sealed" 1999 Topps Baseball factory set--the wrap had a little logo pattern or something stamped on it, although I'm not sure if that means anything. The thing is, it's missing four cards (so far) and all four are foils--three Leage Leaders and one of the World Series cards. I guess the good news is that I have four duplicates of other foil cards.

A major reason I stopped collecting Fleer back in the early 90's is because every--EVERY--factory set I bought would invariably be missing cards.

I guess I'm just throwing this question out there because I'm planning on buying sets to actually open them up and enjoy them, and if this was a problem for Topps during certain years, I'd just as soon grab something hand-collated.

Comments

• Options
    I think Fleer did you a favorimage
  • Options
    stevebaystevebay Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    I recently opened a 1986 topps factory set, and there were duplicates, and thus, cards missing to make an entire set.
  • Options

<< <i>Bought a "sealed" 1999 Topps Baseball factory set--the wrap had a little logo pattern or something stamped on it, although I'm not sure if that means anything. The thing is, it's missing four cards (so far) and all four are foils--three Leage Leaders and one of the World Series cards. I guess the good news is that I have four duplicates of other foil cards.

A major reason I stopped collecting Fleer back in the early 90's is because every--EVERY--factory set I bought would invariably be missing cards.

I guess I'm just throwing this question out there because I'm planning on buying sets to actually open them up and enjoy them, and if this was a problem for Topps during certain years, I'd just as soon grab something hand-collated. >>

It is not uncommon.

When it has happened to me, its usually been the case of missing one card and having a duplicate. Frustrating, I know. I think my 2001 set was missing one card, as was my 2003 set. Most recently happened with the 2010 set.
  • Options
    Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    I guess I'm suspicious of how this set may have been "sealed" for a couple of reasons:

1. I can't seem to find #75--Tony Gwynn. Thuse, the missing cards aren't exactly commons, but four foils (including a Jeter) and a HOF'er. Also--I'm reading where the backs of cards from factory sets are facing the opposite way as cards from packs. Several of these cards are facing the opposite way of the rest of the set--again, not cards of common players, but Clemens and V. Guerrero (to name two).

I bought the set on Ebay for a very reasonable price, but now I'm wondering if I essentially got what I paid for.
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    stevebay,
    The 1986 Topps set had two sets of cards with the same number and two card numbers that were not printed. I guess what I am trying to say check the duplicates to see if it's the same card and just no the same card number.