Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

No way this is a PSA 8

Was looking at Sirius auctions for 58's for my set and there is no way this is an 8.

I guess one would buy the holder and not the card on this one but the grader was freakin drunk or something
1964 Topps Football

Comments

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Agreed ----- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Well, except for the ENTIRE bottom 1/32" of the card, it's pretty nice. :-)
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a strong 8, but I don't think it's as bad you are saying, especially with a scan at 10x magnification. I could certainly see it in a 7.5 holder.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    It's not a 9 or a 10, it's an 8. That's what low-end 8s look like, especially when they're enlarged like that.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    points taken........buy the card not the holder
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    the PSA 8 grade has so much room for variance upon examination.

as we know from past history, the possibility of a quantum leap to PSA 10 is not unprecedented.

the range can drag it down to a PSA 5 upon discovery of a tiny surface wrinkle.

every other potential grade in between could happen on any given day, including halves. add variables: submitter, grader(s), moods, order quantity, bad coffee, chick trouble, traffic, fate, prescription lenses, or barometric pressure.
  • Options

<< <i>points taken........buy the card not the holder >>

Let's be honest here, too, you'd prefer that card in a SGC holder anyway..image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    Yeah i was looking to crossover
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    CSCCSC Posts: 100

<< <i>Yeah i was looking to crossover >>

The upper right looks like it could be a "7" degree of touch, but could be an 8 in person as the magnification could make it worse than reality. If the upper left corner is in fact not touched and the bottom is a clean rough cut with no touches on the corners it could very well be an 8 overall. Looks like a 6 or 7 from the scan, but could be an 8. A lot of leeway given for rough cuts. They are nice to see and I view them as underrated. Pretty much the only way to tell a card hasn't been trimmedimage

Otherwise, the image and centering is top notch. The card is either going to look like crap in person or be a pleasant surprise. If they have a friendly return policy, could always utilize that if you are not pleasantly surprised.
  • Options

<< <i>Agree with the low 8 sentiments. Also, the bottom is due to rough cut, which graders can be very lenient with. Let's not forget that these graders spend a few seconds with each card. But regardless of how much time they spend, there's going to be a range in which they are off. From time to time, I see clearly undergraded or overgraded cards, which represent the grading outliers. This is not remotely an example of such a case. It may not be an 8 in the eyes of God, but it's not by any means far enough off to be called out as an example of misgrading. >>

I think in the eyes of God, he would say: Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for menimage
  • Options
    That seller always seems to offer up many low end cards for the grade
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this what an 8 should look like?
    1958 SGC 88 Topps High dollar one.
    White spots, Top left is nice. Top right looks worn down. Bottom left should I even talk about it. Well bottom right looks ok. Centering well it will do as long as it says it's an 8.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think in the eyes of God, he would say: Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for menimage >>

God talks to baseball cards??? >>

Um, you brought up in God's eyes that it may not be an 8 and that graders don't spend a lot of time on cards originally. I thought I would add in some holiday humor for our cardboard. I apologize if my humor sucks.
  • Options
    Heres one that even looks more atrocious. This thing should NOT be an 8 with a tilt and centering like that but at the very least have a qualifier.

What I really dislike about these cards that slip through the PSA cracks is that it makes the overall card value in the same grade go down which is not fair. This card should at all times sell for $425 or above and when something as ugly as this comes out and sells for only $322, its affecting the average cost of the card overall Most real collectors such as the regulars on this board wouldn't want one that looks like this in their collection but to most uneducated collectors, they believe that an 8 is an 8 regardless and I don't feel like that at all.

• Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    one ugly psa 8. should be a psa 6 allday!!!!!
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    Did you know that Probstein is actively accepting consignments? image

• Options
  • Options

<< <i>I think this is a card that deserves no more than a '6' which sits in an '8' holder.

1964 Mantle

Apart from the tilt centering (which isn't THAT bad), the burnt stain on the left border, as obvious and as big as it is, should not have been overlooked by grader. >>

Definitely should have been given a ST or MK qualifier. That is a very old flip.

• Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    look at a life size scan and the card will look better, but Id say its a 7 (NRMT), ...............not far off
    PSA must think the bottom edge was roughcut, and not a bunch of small dings like it may look like

The Maris has a slight tilt and is oc, but the corners are nice, its an 8 IMO, but I think you could find a better one in the same holder image
  • Options
  • Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    My goodness...who would ever buy that Jackie
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That Maris is pretty clean. The centering does suck and I would never buy it but it doesn't surprise me one bit that it sits in an '8' holder. I think the marketplace will determine that it isn't a desirable '8' card though. >>

I agree. The centering of the Maris is 65/35. Yes, that's getting toward the worst centering allowable for an 8, but if you want an 8 with great centering, you're asking for more corner wear. We can't have a unique grade for every combination of defects,so the buyer has to pick his poison.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    The 64 Mantle is a train wreck and is a $100 card to me. The SGC 88 Jackie is badly o/c. It seems like all of those old SGC's are off centered or trimmed.
  • Options
  • Options
    this is better than TV
  • Options
    "The Susce has centering that could pass for a 9 IMO and it's the corners that bring it down to an 8. That said, with what I see as 4 off corners it should get a 7 ..."
    Well there it is. End of story guys!
    So is it a 8 or a 7 now? Im confused
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My goodness...who would ever buy that Jackie >>

I would, but not at that price.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's just say it is not a candidate for a crack and resubmit.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are three sales of the 1961 Roger Maris on EBAY.

$549.99, $416.56, and $322.

Average price $429.516.

Two out of the three are below $425.

• Options
    But the average is still above $425.

Also, going back to what I was saying, those 2 that sold for under 425 had pretty bad centering. One clearly more so than the other which is why the worse of the 2 only sold at $322. Can be seen using completed listings. I personally avoided many like those till I found one with almost perfect centering and I paid just $475 for it and it was worth every dollar.
  • Options
    I still think that PSA 8 looks better than this 7.
    SGC 7
  • Options

<< <i>Did you know that Probstein is actively accepting consignments? image >>

LOL.. That is the rumor.
  • Options
    If there is one thing I learned on this forum since getting back into cards is that "its the card, not the holder." On the flip side (pun intended), there is an indication of value based on the grade. But I see the same graded card sell for better or worse depending on the card itself. There are those that wont sell as well because the card looks like a poor version of, say, an "8" verse a nice version of an "8". Overall average of card sales are affected by poor-good versions of any given grade. That's my two cents.
  • Options

<< <i>So when someone says a card shouldn't get an 8, sometimes, it's because they can't see all the reasons why it should. >>

So when someone says a card should get an 8, sometimes, it's because they don't want to see all the reasons why it shouldn't
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Heres one that even looks more atrocious. This thing should NOT be an 8 with a tilt and centering like that but at the very least have a qualifier.

What I really dislike about these cards that slip through the PSA cracks is that it makes the overall card value in the same grade go down which is not fair. This card should at all times sell for $425 or above and when something as ugly as this comes out and sells for only $322, its affecting the average cost of the card overall Most real collectors such as the regulars on this board wouldn't want one that looks like this in their collection but to most uneducated collectors, they believe that an 8 is an 8 regardless and I don't feel like that at all.

>>

I hear those sorts of thoughts a lot. Reality is, the tilt and the centering still fall within spec for the grade. It's without a doubt a low-end 8, but an 8 nonetheless. But you're right about the impact that has on the VCP numbers. Good thing most high end buyers are smart enough to look deeper into the numbers instead of relying solely on average.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure where Sirius gets their consignments but I'm always careful to look closely at what I bid on. I bought some of the ugliest 9s (1973s) I've ever seen from there. The grader must have been drunk when he graded that group of cards.
  • Options
    I've seen worse psa 8's
  • Options

<< <i>I've seen worse psa 8's >>

regrettably this is true