Home U.S. Coin Forum

So-Called Dollars - PCGS grading?

I've noticed that PCGS is getting into grading so-called dollars. Does anyone have any experience with PCGS submissions of so-called dollars?

As an aside, i've been collecting them for about 3-4 years, with most of my grading submissions going to NGC. The website www.so-calleddollar.com has a discussion board for those who might be interested, and the websites www.socalleddollar.com and www.so-calleddollars.com have good overviews based on the Hibler & Kappen book (2nd ed published in 2008). If you collect commemoratives, you might like these medals. The historical connections of many of these medals is very interesting.
So-Called Dollar Collector

Comments

• DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WELCOME Pioneer!
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • PioneerPioneer Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the welcome. I guess since PCGS only recently started so-called dollar grading... it will take time to get more opinion.

http://www.numismaticamericana.com/bills-blog/pcgs-so-called-dollars-and-an-emerging-market/

As a PCGS collectors club member, I did find that PCGS does have a population report on so-called dollars at

http://www.pcgs.com/pop/

Looks like about 70 so-called dollars are graded thus far and in the pop report. I found it odd that 23 HK-449 Silver Manila Mint Opening SCDs are in the list. Wonder if someone had a horde graded.

Would any of the SCD only send the best-of-the-best to PCGS since they are fairly strict on grading ??
    I think the Manila Mint SC$'s have been submitted from a purely financial perspective; they are collected by a wider group of collectors so the PCGS capsule is a welcome addition to some sellers. if you've followed TeleTrade auctions since PCGS started grading SC$'s you'd have seen about every one of those 23 offered already(or perhaps just several examples offered 23 times!!!)
  • SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    Those pop reports are not accurate or perhaps up to date. They started grading Lesher dollars years earlier and those don't show up in those pop reports. I believe it has to do with there numbering system, since they do show up in coin facts and under "territorial" in the data base.

Hopefully, they will rectify the database and have all HK designated medals under so-called dollars.

Here is another one that falls in the same category. It's cert number is 26072391. It is currently a PCGS 1/0 and NGC 0/0 pop.

Appologies if the link to the coinfacts image does not work.

Thanks for the intel. NGC also has had a historical problem with not all of their graded SCDs showing up in their census, including their proofs. It's gotten better in the past year, but the NGC census is NOT accurate. I've actually seen several NGC graded proof HK-335s, but the photo in the previous post is fantastic! Congrats on owning that medal !
    As an aside, perhaps a starting point for a better census is at

www.socalleddollar.com

Click on "So Called Dollar Tally using 2nd Edition"...
  • SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the intel. NGC also has had a historical problem with not all of their graded SCDs showing up in their census, including their proofs. It's gotten better in the past year, but the NGC census is NOT accurate. I've actually seen several NGC graded proof HK-335s, but the photo in the previous post is fantastic! Congrats on owning that medal ! >>

Thanks! I bought that the day I discovered that PCGS started grading them. It was the first purchase in a very long time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file