Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1970 Topps All Stars - Sleeping Giants?

So who's our resident expert on these cards-- and can shed some light on why some of them are so highly valued? It seems that in high grade they tower in price above their counterpart regular issues. I'm not familiar with these and just curious. Is there some printing defect that routinely plagues them, etc.? Came across these while preparing to do an article on the most expensive PostWar to Present cards in each grade tier-- had no idea they were worth so much.

Comments

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭
    Are you referring to the All-Star cards within the 70 Topps set, or are you thinking of Topps Super?

Please post some examples if you have them. Also, in which grade tier do these become some of the most expensive?

• Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    I'm referring to the AS Star Cards within the main set, not the supers. Specifically the Rose, Aaron, Yaz, Reggie, and Bench. They really leap out at you in terms of cost in PSA 9 grade, often commanding more than the regular issue, which is kind of rare.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    The centering on the All-Star subset is a bear keeping the population numbers in higher grade lower than most others in the issue. Lower pops tend to equal higher prices.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Scott nailed it as usual. I've been working on a raw 1970 set for about 6 years now and those are the toughest cards to find decently centered. I'm down to around 66 cards or so to finish the set in NM to NM-MT condition, but I still only have half those all star cards.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Ah, so it's the centering that beats these down and keeps the pops in high grade suppressed. Was really curious; those PSA 9 prices really leap out at you.
  • Options
    Also, arent they in the higher series?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Also, arent they in the higher series? >>

Mid and semi-series. None in the High # series.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    They are 4th and 5th series (450-469).

I'm down to Bench and Alou to close out the sub-set in my
    PSA registry set. Planning to post scans when I complete the
    run.

The centering issue is caused by the positioning of the cards in the
    full 132-card sheets. Every year has similar issues for certain cards
    (e.g. 1971 Munson, Jackson and Rose are also tough to find centered,
    as well as 1973 Ruth/Mays/Aaron, Schmidt/Cey, 1976 Briggs, etc.)

Dave
  • Options
    Agree with all who said these are particularly tough cards to find well-centered. I have found the Bench, the Alou, and the McDowell to be the toughest among them.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    I agree with MattyC's header. The 70Topps All Stars are attractive, with 11 Hall of Famers, and, yes, finding them centered is very, very difficult, especially Bench and McDowell.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Not only are they often OC, many times they come back from PSA as Miscut, even if they do not readily appear miscut.
    Nikklos