Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

"Gifts From the Gods" - ancient coins at the SF Legion of Honor Museum

(First of all, my thanks to forum members who educated me on how to post photos in a message! I hope the posting works now!)

My wife and I spent a week in San Francisco; while we were there, we visited the Legion of Honor art museum. The museum is hosting an exhibition entitled "Gifts from the Gods," devoted to art and the Olympic ideal. Included was a large number of ancient coins covering Olympic events. I photographed three (with their descriptions) and have posted the photos below. What I thought was interesting was that most (if not all) of the coins were loaned by persons identified by only their initials. I am not a fan of ancient coins, but found this exhibit fascinating. It will remain at the Legion of Honor until January 27, 2013. (For what it is worth, the museum also has another amazing exhibit (extra $10 to get in) of "treasures" from the Louvre. The bejeweled cups and bowls are mind-boggling!

Here's a gold solidus and its description:imageimage

Here's an Athenian silver tetradrachm and its description:imageimage

And finally, a bronze coin from Caracalla and its description:imageimage

Later on, I will post some photos from Coit Tower in San Francisco. What does Coit Tower have to do with coins, you ask? Well, stay tuned and I hope to show you!

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    *drool*

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is many many ancients that show things related to the olympics. There was even a recent article on it in an ancient coin mag.

Nice photos & thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    that's great that you had a chance to swing by

those coins are amazing