Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

THE END IS NEAR!! LETS RIP SOME PACKS!!

These things will have no value come this time tomorrow, might as well free them from their decades old cellophane bondage for one night of freedom.

We shall start with the year 1986 and work backwards toward the Montana RC that I just know lies beneath. 1986 Topps football is also the first product that me and my brother had in massive amounts. Sure we had plenty of 85 but the 86 was a whole new puppy. I recall having around 6 Rice rookies and selling them all when football took off a few years later. I thought they were overvalued at the time at $5, lol.

Comments

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Ripping is overrated. image

BTW, does anyone know what time the end is coming tomorrow?
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the Myans went by eastern central time? That might help us pin point a time. Its already the 21st in New Zealand..rip those packs.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So china is a day ahead up us right? Did their world end for them yet? Id like to plan for this problem and this info could help.
    RIP AWAY!
  • Options
    FOX is reporting that Australia is no more. RIP koalas and dingoes. Hurry up and rip, before it's too late.
  • Options
    AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    Hit a couple RC quarterbacks. The Young is the rare "big red orb by helmet" variation.

Up next, the 85 Fleer baseball. Always one of my favorite sets growing up. The Fleer Gooden was one of my early prized possessions. I'd love to pull one.

• Options
    It appears that 11:11 UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) on December 21, 2012 is the exact end of the Mayan calendar.

So if you are planning to rip those packs and post the results, you have until 6:11 EST. Good luck!!!

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Jets haven't won another Super Bowl yet so we are all safe for the forsseable future..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 85 Fleer Gooden was like owning a piece of gold in 1985. Baseball cards are what turned many of us into capitalists!

I remember when it booked for $14 and I was on my way to being rich. LOL

Good luck with the pack!
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Let's break some of our favorite albums and listen to some music while we rip packs and prepare for the end.........

I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    Well, the first fleer didn't produce much. Anybody remember when these two were hot.

I say first because, after ripping the above and pulling nothing I decided to rip the other 85 that I bought in previous group rip.

I was starting to get worried after no stars in the first 3/4 of this one and then what shall appear.....

What a great feeling to see this guy peak out. I laughed out loud when I saw it.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Glad you are having fun RIPPING them. It would have been fun to see a Mookie Wilson hiding underneath that Bill Buckner!~
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>image

What a great feeling to see this guy peak out. I laughed out loud when I saw it. >>

Now that would have been money back in the day. Nice premonition Dpeck.

Collecting:
  • Options
    you convinced me

ripping 1980 topps pack, I won it from the "diamond dig" contest a while back

• Options
    Cant complain about star ppower, but centering will keep anything from a 10ski

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome pull on the Gooden!!!

He may have made some really bad choices in life but no one can dispute that he was one of the most dominant power pitchers ever. Just blew batters away.

Many of the top pitchers from that era used performance enhancing drugs. He used performance hurting drugs and still kicked a++.

• Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    aweosme gooden, i would slab it anyway, always is a great card still, looks psa 9 maybe t/b centering slides it down.. bummer on the 80 rip, great hof too. thanks for sharing..
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    That a boy, RepublicanMiss! Rip em!

Next up, 84 Football. Would love to pull a Marino. I always preferred him over Elway. Its a shame he never got his super bowl ring.

With a holiday porter to go with it.

Well, no rookie quarterbacks this time but I did pull the final card of my favorite running back from the 70's and the first card of my favorite back from the 80's. The Dickerson has some sort of funky paperloss on the right border.

• Options
    Love those specs! I dont have anything else worth ripping as the other packs have stars on top..aside from my 75 cello image
  • Options

<< <i>Love those specs! I dont have anything else worth ripping as the other packs have stars on top..aside from my 75 cello image >>

You know the world really isn't ending. Please step away from that 75 cello.

Collecting:
  • Options
    Thanks Mike, also inspected the seal on my 78 OPC Ryan front Murray back wax pack. I have to get that thing graded at some point.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the end comes - I'm taking my stuff with me!

Mike
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Come on Ted ... don't listen to Mike. RIP that damn thing.

You were probably one of those kids who didn't open up any of your candy when you went Trick-or-Treating until you got home too, right? LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    75 cellos may actually be used as currency if we are able to habitate another planet as doom sets in on ours, maybe hold for now.

83 Baseball is next to be freed from cellophane confines. I was a Boggs fan over Gwynn and Sandberg growing up but I would be thrilled to pull any of them. They all avoided (I think) the steroids of their peers that came just a few years later. Can you imagine Gwynn with Bonds power.

No rookies and really no star power. I did pull this Henderson that I don't think I've ever seen. How there can be a baseball card from the eighties that somehow I have never seen baffles me, maybe I just forgot. Its not a fantastic picture but what struck is me that I'm pretty sure thats Cal Ripken in the background.

• Options

<< <i>75 cellos may actually be used as currency if we are able to habitate another planet as doom sets in on ours, maybe hold for now. >>

Now someone is talking some sense.

BTW, that is definitely Ripken in the background. I was really pulling for the Boggs though. Well, at least you still have a shot at the Montana.

Collecting:
  • Options
    Thhanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Up Next is 83 football. A Marcus Allen would be nice.

No star power but I did pull this Super Bowl card that is a beauty. Action shots from this era of topps football is far and few. This is a nice shot of Riggins bulldozing Miami's laughable defense.

• Options
    In preparation of the 81 Football Montana unleashing, I'm going to open this 82 baseball. Here's the deal, if I pull a Ripken RC from this pack I will give it away via the forum. Note, this a karma trick because since the world is ending I will not have a chance to send the Ripken...but if somehow the world does not end, I will indeed give the Ripken away.

• Options
    Good luck! Lemme see that Ripken and Montana.
    Looking to buy/trade for any Holman Moody (NASCAR) related items you may have.
  • Options
    Well, no Ripken but I did hit a few HOF'ers.

Finally, we come to the 81 Football. Thanks for following along, as things come to an end I would like to say that I appreciated all of you, even those of you that suck(you know who you are) because together we make this a diverse and lively community full of people who are crazy about this hobby. Cheers!

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Mike, also inspected the seal on my 78 OPC Ryan front Murray back wax pack. I have to get that thing graded at some point. >>

Funny you should mention that, I pulled one from one of our past case rips and had it slabbed earlier this year (still the only one graded). Sold it for $224.72. Good times! image

• Options
    Well, absolutely nothing from 81 worth showing. That was anticlimactic. If anyone wants all of the baseball minus the Gooden for the price of shipping shoot me a PM.
  • Options
    Aric,

Even though you didn't hit too many jackpots, I bet you had a fun time ripping those cellos. Thank you for sharing the entertainment with us!
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

No rookies and really no star power. I did pull this Henderson that I don't think I've ever seen. How there can be a baseball card from the eighties that somehow I have never seen baffles me, maybe I just forgot. Its not a fantastic picture but what struck is me that I'm pretty sure thats Cal Ripken in the background.

>>

I actually have that Henderson card... with a Ripken auto on it. It was given to me by someone and confused the hell out of me at first until I realized Ripken is in the background
  • Options

<< <i>I actually have that Henderson card... with a Ripken auto on it. It was given to me by someone and confused the hell out of me at first until I realized Ripken is in the background >>

Haha, what an odd choice to get signed. Imagine what Ripken thought when he was asked to sign it.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I actually have that Henderson card... with a Ripken auto on it. It was given to me by someone and confused the hell out of me at first until I realized Ripken is in the background >>

Haha, what an odd choice to get signed. Imagine what Ripken thought when he was asked to sign it. >>

Hah yeah, that's what I thought, it's definitely one of the more bizarre things in my collection!
  • Options
    At least Ripken signed over himself and left plenty of room in case you ever wanted to get Henderson to sign it as well.

The vintage rip was kind of a bust and I've still got plenty of unopened. Heck, I've even got a 78 Football pack around here somewhere....

I settled on this 2009 Mayo box. Its a retail box and I think I only paid $20 for it but sometimes these Topps retail can give some good hits and Mayo has a fun checklist with lots of possibilities.

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Rip open that box!

I am thinking of ordering from BBCE to have a New Years Eve rip. We are not big drinkers and usually stay home and celebrate with our kids so a New Years Eve rip might be fun. Now the question is, what to buy?
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Does this mean Aric didn't survive the Mayan Apocalypse?

May his rips RIP.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts