Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Where did the term GEM MINT originate from?

And why did PSA decide to call a 10 "GEM MINT" instead of perfect, flawless, or some other name?

I can remember ads in SCD back in the 80's refering to GEM MINT cards for sale. It sounded like a sales pitch and not based in reality. Anyone know why a PSA 10 isn't just called MINT? GEM MINT just sounds kind of over the top in my opinion but if it was a standard word from the hobby's earlier days or borrowed from the coin guys I guess I would understand. Would anyone care to enlighten me?

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wait until they offer the half grade bump for cards that exhibit even more flawleness for the grade GEM MINT + 10.5
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    From a competitors (albiet not a very well known competitor):

PRISTINE: A Pristine Graded card is a virtually flawless card. Attributes include 50/50 centering, crisp focus, four sharp corners, free of stains, no breaks in surface gloss, no print or refractor lines, and no visible wear under magnification. A letter of authenticity will accompany cards receiving this grade.

GEM-MT 10: A Gem Mint 10 card’s attributes include 55/45 or better centering, sharp focus, four sharp corners, free of stains, no breaks in surface gloss, no print or refractor lines, and no visible wear. A slight printing imperfection is allowable if it does not detract from the aesthetics of the card.

MINT 9: A Mint 9 card’s attributes include 60/40 or better centering, sharp focus and four sharp corners. A minor flaw may exist upon close examination. A minor flaw may be, but is not limited to: a slight nick to one corner, a small gloss break or surface scratch, a minor print line or minor refractor line, a minor focus or color imperfection, or a small print spot.

GEM MINT isn't what it once was! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From a competitors (albiet not a very well known competitor):

PRISTINE: A Pristine Graded card is a virtually flawless card. Attributes include 50/50 centering, crisp focus, four sharp corners, free of stains, no breaks in surface gloss, no print or refractor lines, and no visible wear under magnification. A letter of authenticity will accompany cards receiving this grade.

GEM-MT 10: A Gem Mint 10 card’s attributes include 55/45 or better centering, sharp focus, four sharp corners, free of stains, no breaks in surface gloss, no print or refractor lines, and no visible wear. A slight printing imperfection is allowable if it does not detract from the aesthetics of the card.

MINT 9: A Mint 9 card’s attributes include 60/40 or better centering, sharp focus and four sharp corners. A minor flaw may exist upon close examination. A minor flaw may be, but is not limited to: a slight nick to one corner, a small gloss break or surface scratch, a minor print line or minor refractor line, a minor focus or color imperfection, or a small print spot.

GEM MINT isn't what it once was! image >>

What is funny is reading the descriptions for the recently added half grades that were missing on the SGC scale. Talk about lame... "A (enter the full grade below the missing half) card that exhibits high-end overall quality and eye appeal" is used for each!
  • Options
    Clearly the card business takes it terms from coins. Mint is also the process of making coins. But the term I think also means, something to the effect of right off the press. The term GEM I am assuming is slang, in some form, like "thats really a gem". But I could be wrong and its possible it was used as a professional term in other collectible arenas. But GEM MINT seems to exceed the normal Mint card in some way that can only be seen by the third eye of the PSA graders.
  • Options
    I thought the term came from this guy...

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It derived from the word "best" or "opinion" cant remember now.
    But it means , veeerrry niiiccccce. I like.
  • Options
    The "Gem Mint" 10 is basically a fake grade created by the TPGers, to create a lottery type effect to bait submissions.

9's and 10's are interchangable on any given day of the week. In other words, Fools gold. A very effective marketing scheme

meant to create a false sense of rarity. People fall for it everyday.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought the term came from this guy...

image >>

Hey this show was my favorite sitcom.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I saw the title of this post I immediately thought of Alan Rosen and the '80's baseball card hype machine. Why settle for a mint card when you can have a gem mint one?
    Daniel
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Clearly the card business takes it terms from coins. Mint is also the process of making coins. But the term I think also means, something to the effect of right off the press. The term GEM I am assuming is slang, in some form, like "thats really a gem". But I could be wrong and its possible it was used as a professional term in other collectible arenas. But GEM MINT seems to exceed the normal Mint card in some way that can only be seen by the third eye of the PSA graders. >>

In the coin world, the grades of MS60-MS70 mean "Mint State". The 60 to 70 further subdivides the grades. Mint State meaning the same state as when the coin left the Mint. A 70 means flawless, no imperfections at all, whereas a 60 is pretty nicked up but does not show obvious signs of having been used in circulation (as money).

An older, outdated coin term is GEM BU, meaning gem “brilliant uncirculated”. Nowadays, that is typically what we would call MS65 or higher coins.

Maybe GEM MINT in cards was derived from the old GEM BU term from coins? Just a theory.
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    I remember seeing the term in the late 80s (pre-PSA) at a baseball card shop in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    If Alan Rosen was not the guy who actually first used the phrase in connection with sports cards, he was certainly the one who made it a hobby-wide descriptor.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If Alan Rosen was not the guy who actually first used the phrase in connection with sports cards, he was certainly the one who made it a hobby-wide descriptor. >>

Then why didnt he call him self Mr GEM Mint?
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought of Don West. Seems like a few other people also thought that!

We got Griffey, Jr. rookies going out, Jordan rookies going out, Mickey Mantles! Hank Aarons! Other Hall of Famers! These will sell out in a hurry!!! The Phone Lines are Jammed!

Jeremy
  • Options
    I'm thinking Gem Mint originated years ago, remember hearing it in the early 60's, when referring to some coins as Gem Mint Uncirculated. I don't know how long before that it was used to describe a "perfect" specimen.
  • Options
    My wife sometimes say "you are such a gem" but the tone is sarcastic and usually after I leave dishes in sink or don't fix the bed after a nap. I don't think the term gem for cards was derived from this example.