Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question on auction catalogues

I received the Stack's NYINC auction catalogues the other day. Are the estimates they give for the coins realistic or do auction companies underestimate the value so they can say so and so coin sold for 2x the estimate. Anyone know?

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally thought to be a tactic to increase bidder interest and thus "jack" up the price.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I received the Stack's NYINC auction catalogues the other day. Are the estimates they give for the coins realistic or do auction companies underestimate the value so they can say so and so coin sold for 2x the estimate. Anyone know? >>

If it's a hot country, most tend to be underestimated by 50%; at least in the Signature portion.

Now, some TPGs severely undergrade certain coins to make themselves look suddenly wiser since they really tend to overgrade most of the time. image

In a similar manner, the final hammer price tends to determine the actual market grade of the coin. image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mac summed it up quite well

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    The estimates I have seen in the last five years for coin in my area of interest are WAGs. Some have been overrated, others underrated. The only purpose I see for them is to set an opening bid price. As Mac said, the hammer reveals the truth.

some TPGs severely undergrade certain coins to make themselves look suddenly wiser

Happens to me most of the time. image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.