Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT: Trying to figure out the trivia QUESTION. Prize offered.

It was 1993 when I was asked this question so the answer may have changed in the interceding 20 years. It was a "name the X number of guys who accomplished A and B." I will do the best I can with the question:

Name the 4 players who stole 70 bases in a season and did ?????? Two are former Cubs and (I think) two are Hall of Famers.

Lou Brock and Bill North are the former Cubs
Ty Cobb (I think) and Lou Brock are the HOFers
Dave Collins was the other

I am 100% positive on Dave Collins and Bill North.

Vince Coleman and Ricky Henderson were active at the time and did not meet the criteria in 1993.

Sorry for OT, but this question was hard as balls and is invading my dreams.

A PSA 8 1987 Donruss Greg Maddux to whomever can help me with this.

Your pal
jrboles

Comments

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it,

and get caught stealing over 20 times during that same season?
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    Pretty sure it was a hitting category.
  • Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    Orioles93 - I thought the same thing about the getting caught 20 or more times. All of those players fit in there. But I looked at few other 70+ SB guys, and Maury Wills was another one that would fit that criteria.

I really thought that was it, because i can't think of anything else Dave Collins would ever be remembered for??? Not that he didn't have some good years, but....
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Brock, North, and Collins were all 27 during the season where they stole over 70 bases, and all three were 5'-11" tall. Cobb throws it off a bit. That's all I can find... lol.
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    and win world series ? or steal a base in WS ?
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Orioles93 - I thought the same thing about the getting caught 20 or more times. All of those players fit in there. >>

But, Coleman and Henderson did that too (through 1993), as did other players.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Name the 4 players who stole 70 bases in a season and did ?????? >>

Is it definitely something they did in that same season?
    Also, could it be a negative thing? For example, stole 70 bases, yet didn't score 100 runs.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Stole home.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    OK, here's my two stabs at the question and answer:

Name 4 players (remember this question was asked in 1993) who stole more than 70 bases in a season, but scored less than 100 runs.

Collins 79/94
    North 75/91
    Brock 74/94
    Maury Wills 94/92

Name 4 players (remember this question was asked in 1993) who stole more than 70 bases in a season and have 20 or more doubles -

Collins, North, Brock and Cobb
  • Options
    markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    Did they hit for the cycle?
  • Options

<< <i>Stole home. >>

Rickey Henderson stole home in 1980, so it can't be that.

<< <i>Name 4 players (remember this question was asked in 1993) who stole more than 70 bases in a season, but scored less than 100 runs.
    Name 4 players (remember this question was asked in 1993) who stole more than 70 bases in a season and have 20 or more doubles -
    >>

Both of those things have been done by at least 10 players (before 1993).

<< <i>Did they hit for the cycle? >>

Nope.
  • Options
    I have been trying to figure out what Bill North and Dave Collins have in common that differs from VInce Coleman and am getting bupkes.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    I was going to say, stole 70+ bases and hit fewer than 5 HRs, but Vince Coleman also did that in his first 4 seasons, 1985-1988. Interesting trivia question!
  • Options
    North, Collins, Brett Butler and Jose Cardenal are the only 4 players who have 150 SBs in each league.
  • Options

<< <i>North, Collins, Brett Butler and Jose Cardenal are the only 4 players who have 150 SBs in each league. >>

Bobby Bonds did that too. He didn't have 70 in one season, but neither did Butler or Cardenal.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>North, Collins, Brett Butler and Jose Cardenal are the only 4 players who have 150 SBs in each league. >>

Bobby Bonds did that too. He didn't have 70 in one season, but neither did Butler or Cardenal. >>

Maybe I'm counting wrong, but I dont see Bonds having 150 in the AL.
    Yeah, I dropped the 70 SBs, maybe the OP got the question wrong. He's sure it includes North and Collins with 2 others.

• Options
    How about this?...

70 SB in one league and 60 SB in the other league (single season for both).
    Dave Collins, Bill North, and Ron LeFlore did that. I don't think anyone else did that did that (through 1993).

Or, maybe it's 60 in each league. That would be the same 3 guys.

For 50 in each league, it's those 3 guys, plus Butler and Raines.
  • Options

<< <i>Bobby Bonds did that too. He didn't have 70 in one season, but neither did Butler or Cardenal. >>

>>

He had 178 in his 5 AL seasons (1975-1979).
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Bobby Bonds did that too. He didn't have 70 in one season, but neither did Butler or Cardenal. >>

>>

He had 178 in his 5 AL seasons (1975-1979). >>

You are correct and clearly I was counting wrong -- I was looking in his HR total :-(
  • Options
    jrbolesjrboles Posts: 566 ✭✭
    I have tried a number of things for North/Collins to no avail:

- MVP votes in season when 70 were stolen
    - Post season comparisons
    - Percentage caught stealing
    - Double plays hit into
    - Intentional walks
    - where they batted in the order
    - All star stats
    - How many they stole in subsequent seasons
    - Career HRs

And I cannot figure how they differ from Vince Coleman. I thought it may have become fairly evident right away. I apologize in advance if I got anything wrong in the OP. What I remember specifically:

- There were 4 who did it
    - Two were former Cubs
    - I did not get Bill North and Dave Collins and I am 100% certain they are part of the answer
    - It was 70 steals

A recent night of drinking with the college buds brought back the evening 20 years ago when this was asked - lots of laughs on the minor drunk scuffle to which it led - and I can't get the question out of my head. I will belabor it no longer and promise to post here if/when we ever hear from the purveyor. Thanks for your consideration.

Happy New Year to all of yous

• Options
    Dave Collins and Bill North were the first DHs for their respective teams. That stir anything?
  • Options
    <double post>
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Send it to ESPN's Buster Olney. He is always stumping Mike & Mike with his trivia. Maybe you'll stump him with this one.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    Any luck/news on this? Now I'm obsessed with knowing the damn question. :-)
  • Options
    Any thoughts?