Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

B&J Collectibles Company: Legit?

I have a few autographed items that were purchased from B&J Collectibles in 1997 that came with COA's. I have read a few articles that some autographs from B&J have been fake. The items are a Yogi Berra autographed jersey, ball, hat, photo and bat. Also a Hank Aaron and Warren Spahn autograped photos. Just wondering the odds that are fake or real? Anyone have any information on the company? Can't find much on the web. Any help or info would be great....

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, hello, how are ya? image

Don't know the answer to your question, just wanted to welcome you. Always good when someone wants to talk cardboard on the net.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Best answer to your question would be to post scans, but don't get your hopes up.

Our local (Central PA) counterfeit/fake memoribilia guy (Roger hooper) who is awaiting sentencing for his crimes has reportedly gotten alot of his fake autograph supply from B&J which is the only reason I have heard of them. I am sure others will be able to help a little more.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    let's see scans of the items in question

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Bought a Reggie Jackson signed A's cap with a B&J cert several years back. Last year I had several pieces certed by JSA including this one. Came back good.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    The reasons I asked for scans is that my memory of the reputation of ths outfit is that they sold genuine autographs.

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Thank you for the replies. Having issues uploading the pictures to the message board due to file size. Hopefully be able to post them soon.
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    Photobucket
  • Options

• Options
    If memory serves me right, I believe they were set up at the National in Houston in the mid 90's. They had some Nolan Ryan balls that had to be removed from their table. I believe some other items were OK. I guess they just had a blend of good and bad depending on their source. I don't ever believe it was intentional unlike the other NJ dealer, Stans. It was obvious to a lot of us back in the 90's that something was up at Stans. I remember they were selling Ken Griffey Jr. balls at $20. They had a nice picture of them with Ken signing. We had done a private with Griffey Jr. around the same time and we were paying Ken the same price they were charging for a signed ball. Then add in the cost of the ball which was about $8 back then. I asked how can they charge $20? Well, if you blend in 12 dozen fakes with every authentic dozen you can charge $20 and make a profit. Now that's blatant. I don't believe B&J ever did that. I believe they just passed on some bad stuff. You know the old adage, if the price is too good, it's probably no good.
    Doug
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • Options
    I bought an auto ball Koufax/Drysdale from B & J in 1996.
    I sent it in to PSA recently and it did not pass.
    I am trying to get in touch with B & J right now.