Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Cards I am sending in for review to PSA

What are my chances?

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
TheClockworkAngelCollection

Comments

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I would say ZERO chance on Brett, DiMaggio and Unitas (centered too far to the left). Possible on Jeter. Doubtful on Payton and Fouts.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I'd have to agree with Scott. Hard to tell on the modern card (Jeter), but I would save my money on the others. Hope I am wrong and the pictures are just not that good.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    The scans suck and don't do the cards justice
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    I think it is unlikely any will bump. The Brett was graded sometime during the introduction of the .5 grading and that alone may be enough to cause some hesitancy by PSA. While I have very little experience in sending cards in for review, my limited experience suggests it is simply not worth it. From a business standpoint I can understand this. If PSA bumped up a large number of cards upon review that could impact their reliability of grading as a whole.

Given all of the above, I would state the following:

-- Your chances are better with a crack and resubmit. However, with valuable 9s (such as the Brett) that is a very risky proposition inasmuch as you always face possible inadvertent damage to the card. Also, it is not beyond reason to have a former 9 come back an 8 from PSA.

-- If I were to submit any cards for review, it would be those with older flips that predate the .5 grading. Even then, I wouldn't expect any bump by more than a half grade.

Just my two cents.

Matt
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Decent shot on Jeter. Slight shot on Fouts. No shot on any of the others.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Crack and re-sub the Jeter. Send in the Brett for review. Don't bother with the rest.

When PSA denies the review bump on the Brett, crack and re-sub it ~15 times. Make sure to re-sub it alongside other 1976s.
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    I agree with what the rest have said about the Jeter.

I do want to say that those are all really beautiful cards! I really love the Brett. I've never see one better centering wise...and I've seen a lot of them!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with them!

Justin
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>When PSA denies the review bump on the Brett, crack and re-sub it ~15 times. Make sure to re-sub it alongside other 1976s. >>

I am sure the OP has 3,677 reasons NOT to crack that one!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    bring them with you to Chicago
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I probably shouldn't have bothered with the scans and the thread. hey make the cards look worse than they are in spots. I need a better scanner if I'm going to post this stuff.

To the naked eye, I think a few have a shot. The Unitas does not look off centered to me. The back is 50/50
  • Options
    No on all of them but hoping on the Brett. I think you should crack it though image
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    The 75 Fouts is one of the coolest cards on the planet regardless of grade. Bump or no bump, your card is awesome.
  • Options
    Bump

I am in shock because one of my cards DID get a bump! I already posted it was not the Brett or Dimaggio and it was not the Gretzky. Still only 1 PSA 10 exists of that card.

But I did get a bump and it was the Derek Jeter. I am now the proud owner of a PSA 9 Jeter.

P.S. You guys are good. You know your stuff. The Jeter is the one most of you said had the only shot and that's the one that got bumped.

I am pretty stoked. Makes all of my terrible experiences on submissions slightly more bearable!
  • Options
    Want to ensure I know what this is. PSA originally graded the Jeter card an 8.5
    You sent the card back in inside the original 8.5 case and the same PSA gave the card a 9. How / why can this occur. Did you have to pay for grading twice ?
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the bumpage image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>Want to ensure I know what this is. PSA originally graded the Jeter card an 8.5
    You sent the card back in inside the original 8.5 case and the same PSA gave the card a 9. How / why can this occur. Did you have to pay for grading twice ? >>

Yes I actually bought the card already graded as an 8.5. I thought I had a really good shot when I first bought it because there were no surface scratches so common with this card

I had been gathering some cards I thought had a shot and dropped them off at the PSA office. All the cards you see in the OP are the cards I dropped off for review, plus a 1979 OPC Gretzky rookie PSA 9 I recently picked up. They all came back unchanged except the Jeter.

It costs $17 each card
  • Options
    GRATS!!!
  • Options
    only $17 per card? thats pretty good. i wonder if there is a price cap limit
  • Options
    Do not crack and submit if one comes back evidence of trim its like a joker in the deck. Enjoy just the way they are, All seem to be properly graded.
  • Options
    i may have to try this out in Chicago